Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Re: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    It's all about the Championships, man. You know that.
    If you include the old Helms Foundation deal as a national title, here are the rankings:

1 UCLA 11
    2 Kentucky 9
    3T Indiana 5
    3T Kansas 5
    3T N. Carolina 5

When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Outside of this year though, all of KU's are old. IU's are too. That's why those two programs are second rate.

Outside of this year though, all of KU's are old. IU's are too. That's why those two programs are second rate.
    Here's something for you... this year's college freshmen were born in 1989-90(if my math is right). So looking at what the "elite" programs have done in those 19 years... call it "relevant tradition," if you will:

IU:
    National champs: 0
    Final 4: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 17
    Conference championships: 3

UCLA:
    National champs: 1
    Final 4: 4
    NCAA Appearances: 16 (17 really, but 1999 was vacated by the NCAA)
    Conference championships: 7

UNC:
    Final 4: 8
    Conference championships: 6

Kansas:
    Final 4: 5
    NCAA Appearances: 19
    Conference championships: 13

Kentucky:
    National champs: 2
    Final 4: 4

Duke:
    National champs: 3
    Final 4: 7
    NCAA Appearances: 18

That is interesting stuff. IU has been able to get to the Dance almost every year. They just rarely do anything when they get there. Duke and UNC leading the way, as always.

That is interesting stuff. IU has been able to get to the Dance almost every year. They just rarely do anything when they get there. Duke and UNC leading the way, as always.
    I'm impressed with Kansas winning 13/19 conference championships. That's pretty awesome, regardless of what conference you're in.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If you include the old Helms Foundation deal as a national title, here are the rankings:

1 UCLA 11
    2 Kentucky 9
    3T Indiana 5
    3T Kansas 5
    3T N. Carolina 5
    T for last: Vanderbilt???

I'm impressed with Kansas winning 13/19 conference championships. That's pretty awesome, regardless of what conference you're in.
    Are you going by regular season or by conference tourney?

I agree. They have simply dominated the Big 12.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Are you going by regular season or by conference tourney?
    That's regular season.

I couldn't find conference tourney results for all the teams I included, so I left it out. Besdies, I'm not too much into putting all that much weight on what a team does in one weekend.

Nick Williams is reportedly interested in coming to IU. He was originally committed to Marquette but was released from his LOI after Crean left. He is Alabama's 6A player of the year.

Nick Williams is reportedly interested in coming to IU. He was originally committed to Marquette but was released from his LOI after Crean left. He is Alabama's 6A player of the year.
    How'd he get away from Mike Davis?

How'd he get away from Mike Davis?
    At top speed?

Arkansas and Indiana are his top two, apparently.

Mor recruiting news for the Hoosiers - Bobby Capobianco has given a verbal commitment to the Hoosiers. IU now has two 2009 commitments, Derek Elston and Capobianco.

On the Josh Harrellson front, the Herald-Times has this:

Harrellson was first contacted by new Indiana coach Tom Crean “about a week or so ago,” and said the two had a very good conversation and got to know each other.

“I’d like to visit,” he said. “When you think of Indiana, you think basketball. It’s a great place with a lot of history. One thing that is really important to me getting to play immediately. I definitely wouldn’t mind playing there.”We got to know each other a bit, and I found him really down to earth,” Harrellson said of his talk with Crean. “He talked to me a lot about what Indiana is all about, what he’s learning and the kind of kids he wants to play there.”

According to a report from The Louisville Courier-Journal’s Jody Demling, Kentucky head man Billy Gillespie recently visited an open gym Harrellson was playing in. Purdue’s Matt Painter and Minnesota’s Tubby Smith were also seen around the school.

Crean picked up his second commitment (first for the '08 class) in JUCO guard Devan Dumes.

From Terry Hutchens:

Devan Dumes had many scholarship offers and had planned to visit Ohio State.

But when Indiana University basketball coach Tom Crean and Indiana got involved in the recruiting process, the former Decatur Central High School and current Vincennes University player couldn't say no.

Late Saturday, after canceling his Ohio State visit and making an unofficial trip to IU, Dumes (pronounced Doom-us) gave Crean an oral commitment to play for the Hoosiers next season. The 6-2 shooting guard will sign a national letter of intent Tuesday night at a news conference at the Wheeler Boys and Girls Club in Indianapolis.

He becomes the third member of IU's Class of 2008 -- and Crean's first '08 recruit -- joining Tom Pritchard and Matt Roth. Last week, Crean received a commitment for the 2009 class from Bobby Capobianco, Loveland, Ohio.

"I just think the whole thing turned out to be a blessing really,'' Dumes said. "Right after coach Crean got the job, some people that I knew got in touch with him, and we got him some tape, and things just progressed very quickly from there.

"I just really liked his approach. He's someone who is a very straightforward person, someone who is going to make you work hard and someone who will help make you the best player you can be.''

Dumes, 20, spent last season at Vincennes, where he averaged 16.9 points per game and set a school record for 3-pointers with 109 in 273 attempts (39.9 percent). As a freshman at Eastern Michigan, he averaged nearly 20 minutes per game and was the fourth leading scorer at 8.1 points per game. In an early season game against Crean's Marquette team, Dumes scored 16 points.

"I think he remembered that,'' Dumes said with a laugh.

Dumes was a first-team All-Marion County selection as a senior in 2006 after averaging 24.4 points and leading his team to a sectional title.

Prior to Crean's interest, Dumes had never been recruited by IU. He said when Crean showed interest he knew he wanted to play for the Hoosiers.

"I think every kid who grows up in this area thinks about what it would be like to play at Indiana,'' Dumes said. "I can't wait.''

Turn Off Ads?