Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Re: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Would IU fans be fine with a similar rebuilding process under Tom Crean?
    Absolutely.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From the Detroit Free Press:

Guard Jordan Crawford has quit the Indiana men's basketball team, and he might transfer to Detroit Mercy.

"Jordan Crawford and his family informed us today that he will not return to Indiana," the Indiana athletic department announced Wednesday in a release.

Crawford, a 6-foot-4 shooter from Detroit Communication and Media Arts, has been playing pickup basketball recently at UDM's Calihan Hall. Also, the Titans' new coach, Ray McCallum, is a former Indiana assistant who was Crawford's main recruiter out of high school. At the time of McCallum's hiring in April, Crawford's mother, Sylvia, expressed pleasure that UDM had hired McCallum.

Shortly afterward, Indiana center Eli Holman transferred to UDM.
    Crawford averaged 9.7 points and 3.4 rebounds as a freshman for Indiana, starting eight games. He must sit out one season because of NCAA transfer rules.

Asked about Crawford being seen in Calihan Hall, UDM athletic director Keri Gaither said: "We have an open gym. Any player might be in our place at any given time." Sylvia Crawford and McCallum could not be reached for comment.

Thanks for this thread. I haven't been focused on what has been going on and I was able to catch up rather quickly.

Crean seems like the real deal and I think this team won't be as bad as expected next year (maybe .500) and then it'll be off to the races, hopefully, for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    If Indiana wins 10 games next year Tom Crean should be coach of the year.
    fixed

From the HT in Bloomington:

RICK GREENSPAN TO STEP DOWN AT CONCLUSION OF CALENDAR YEAR

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Indiana University Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan today announced that he would step down from his position, effective the end of the calendar year.

“This has been a very difficult time and I am aware that I have become the focus of criticism which will continue to distract Indiana University from its core educational mission. Consequently, I believe a new person will be in a stronger position to lead IU Athletics moving forward and it is in IU’s best interests for me to stand down. You can rest assured that I will work with great diligence and effort on behalf of our student athletes and coaches over the next six months. They deserve nothing less,” said Greenspan. “Without question, I am extremely disappointed in the new charges brought by the NCAA Committee on Infractions against Indiana University that were released today. I disagree with these charges, particularly since the NCAA Enforcement staff did not reach this same conclusion after their original, in-depth investigation. Nevertheless, the new charges must and will be answered,” said Greenspan.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Goodness gracious. Thankfully we'll be ridding ourselves with both Sampson AND Greenspan out.

Indiana faces another NCAA charge, uncertain future
    By Dana O'Neil
    ESPN.com

Officials from Indiana University were in Salt Lake City the first time Kelvin Sampson met with NCAA officials.

They knew how egregious the NCAA considered Sampson's disregard of rules when he coached at Oklahoma -- in its report, the Committee on Infractions called Sampson's allegations "deliberate non-compliance, rationalizing the violations as prioritizing rules," -- and knew that they were expected to make sure Sampson did nothing wrong again.

On Thursday the NCAA decided IU's inability to keep Sampson's hand out of the cookie jar was every bit as offensive as the coach's lack of self control. After a hearing earlier this month, the Committee on Infractions notified Indiana that the school was also being charged with "failure to monitor."

While not as harsh as a lack of institutional control, the allegation could mean stiff penalties including additional scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions, a source familiar with NCAA rules said.

Even while the Sampson scandal took yet another scalp, that of athletic director Rick Greenspan who announced his resignation Thursday, angry and defiant IU officials vowed to fight the charges.

"Without question I am extremely disappointed in the new charges," Greenspan said in a statement. "I disagree with these charges, particularly since the NCAA Enforcement staff did not reach this same conclusion after their original, in-depth investigation. Nevertheless, the new charges must and will be answered."

A source told ESPN.com that the university had ample opportunity to take corrective actions against its coaches and did not. Also despite additional restrictions because of Sampson's violations at Oklahoma, the coaches were not watched appropriately.

Upon hiring Sampson, Indiana absorbed the penalties the coach had received at Oklahoma, including travel restrictions and phone calls to recruits. Because Sampson was not allowed to call recruits, the coaching staff also was prohibited from initiating three-way phone calls that involved Sampson.

In October an investigation at Indiana revealed that Sampson and his staff made 100 impermissible calls, including 10 three-way calls, in direct violation of the NCAA's punishment.

Yet the source said cellphone bills that went directly to the university's compliance offices were clearly marked 3W to indicate three-way calls and no one said anything to the coaching staff.

Also the source said an e-mail exchange between Greenspan and a member of his compliance staff said that "everything is great," with the basketball staff even though the subsequent investigation revealed rules were being broken at that time.

Charges against a university are nothing new when Sampson is involved. Before it could close the door on the 577 impermissible calls Sampson made, Oklahoma also was hit with failure to monitor. In its findings against the school, the NCAA Committee on Infractions said in part, "the coaches were taken at their word when even a cursory review of men's basketball office phones, cellphones and calling cards would have revealed myriad impermissible calls."

For Indiana, the Sampson saga has been a protracted program killer. It has cost Sampson, Greenspan and former assistants Rob Senderoff and Jeff Meyer their jobs; torpedoed a top-10 program into a NCAA tournament first-round crash and burn, and left new coach Tom Crean with a disaster to clean up.

Since taking over in Bloomington in April, Crean has dismissed two players (Armon Bassett and Jamarcus Ellis); three others chose to leave and one heralded recruit, Devin Ebanks, asked to be released from his letter of intent.

When the Hoosiers take the floor in November, Crean will have one returning scholarship player -- seldom-used senior Kyle Taber -- and an uncertain future for his program.

The university's likely decision to appeal this charge means the committee will push back its decision on the original charges as well.

"It is extremely regrettable that the actions of a few have brought so much disappointment to so many,"' Greenspan said at his news conference Thursday.

Greenspan will resign, effective in December, and Indiana will have to find itself an athletic director to lead it out of this quagmire. The university is in the unenviable position of looking for a new leader to oversee a mess while Notre Dame also is searching for a new AD.

Dana O'Neil covers college basketball for ESPN.com and can be reached at espnoneil@live.com.

Excellent sign by Crean...

2011 guard Matt Carlino commits following IU Elite Camp
    By Alex | August 24, 2008

Update: We were just tipped off about this video of Carlino via goazcats.com. The file size is large, but if you have the patience and the bandwidth to check it out, it’s definitely worth a look. We’ll have a Q & A with IU’s latest commitment later this week.

Indiana has its first commitment for the class of 2011 — Gilbert (AZ) guard Matt Carlino. According to our good friend Dave Telep of Scout.com, Carlino made the decision shortly after attending this weekend’s elite camp in Bloomington:

“I had gone to their team camp in July and ever since then I’ve been thinking about Indiana. When I came down here and got coached by a lot of great coaches that just sold me. Looking up at the banners, that was amazing. They’re looking for me that when I get there I’m supposed to be an impact player on their team. They’re going to really get it rolling here with him there. By the time I get there, I hope, they’ll have a chance to win a national championship. Once I saw Indiana … Coach Crean is unbelievable. He gets guys ready for even higher levels and that’s what sold me on Indiana.”

Carlino grew up a fan of the Indiana program and that influence led him to pick the Hoosiers over UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State and USC. He’s ranked the No. 8 player in the 2011 class by Hoop Scoop and is expected to be among the top 50 players in his class when Rivals and Scout expand their rankings.

Turn Off Ads?