Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Re: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

I'm in favor of rules that are more fair to the players than the schools. While it's true that the current situation isn't fair to the school, it's no more fair to make a kid go play for a coach who didn't recruit him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm in favor of rules that are more fair to the players than the schools. While it's true that the current situation isn't fair to the school, it's no more fair to make a kid go play for a coach who didn't recruit him.
    real simple answer is don't sign an LOI till the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    real simple answer is don't sign an LOI till the spring.
    Wouldn't they be more likely to miss out on the schools they want to go to? I think that they should be let out of their LOIs if the coach leaves for any reason. Why force a kid into a situation that he didn't plan on being in? It sucks that IU recruits might not come to IU, but I completely understand their situation. They should do what's best for themselves.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Who cares if IU's recruits are going to come or not. After seeing the way that Kelvin Sampson's recruits (Ellis, Thomas) and players (Bassett) have acted I would stay as far away from any of his recruits as possible. Indiana is not going to be good for a few years lets accept that and roll with it. Crean will have the program back near the top of the Big Ten and or on the national level soon.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wouldn't they be more likely to miss out on the schools they want to go to?
    if you're good, not a chance unless your stock plummets. there is really no advantage for the kid, if he a good player, to sign an LOI in the November period.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    IMHO, you sign a LOI with the school and if the school doesn't fire the coach(their choice) and instead the coach takes another job(not their choice) then I(Marquette in this case) would be disinclined to release a player from their LOI. It's like getting kicked in the nuts twice. First coach takes another job and then secondly players don't want to honor their signed LOIs and the school has done nothing that has caused this to happen.
    It depends on the kid signing the LOI.

Some will sign with a program just for the prestige of playing there regardless of who is coach(Duke or UNC). Others will committ just to stay closer to home. However, the coach is the main person trying to sell these kids on the college and especially in cases of a coach like Rick Pitino or Tim Floyd, you have somebody with NBA credentials. Kids wont stay and play if one of those two, for example, decided to bolt.

Unfortunately, most kids sign to play for the coach, not the university.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Well, I've read through most of the articles and interviews now. The impression I get is that Jordan Crawford is leaning towards staying and Eli Holman is leaning towards transferring. I would also be surprised if Crean reinstates either Bassett or Ellis.

As far as next year's recruits, both Pritchard and Roth have said they intend to honor their LOI and look forward to playing for Crean. Ebanks is likely a longshot at this point but there is a decent chance Holloway will still come.

Pretty good, all things considered I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Pretty good, all things considered I'd say.
    Brandon McGee has been noticably silent. I figure he's leaning towards transferring as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Brandon McGee has been noticably silent. I figure he's leaning towards transferring as well.
    So assuming you're right, how many scholarship guys will they have?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    So assuming you're right, how many scholarship guys will they have?
    If McGee and Holman transfer and Bassett and Ellis are not allowed back...I count 4 current scholarship players and 2 inbound recruits. I need to look again to make sure.

EDIT: I just looked and that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    If McGee and Holman transfer and Bassett and Ellis are not allowed back...I count 4 current scholarship players and 2 inbound recruits. I need to look again to make sure.

EDIT: I just looked and that's correct.
    Will IU allow him to bring in a JUCO or two?

I think there is a better than average chance Crean can convince McGee and Holman to stick around. They are garuanteed lots of playing time. Plus, there are still some decent uncommitted recruits he may be able to bring in.

Here's what he said about JUCO players, per the Indy Star.

***** TO JUCO OR NOT TO JUCO, THAT'S THE QUESTION: An hour or so after the press conference had officially ended, I was part of a small group of IU beat writers who had an interview session with Crean. I asked him if the current roster situation might make him take a look at the junior college route, something that others such as Kelvin Sampson, were always quick to explore. I was a little surprised by Crean's answer. But I should say I was pleasantly surprised. Here's what he said: "The one thing you can't do is go for a quick fix. That's the one thing that whoever is working with me is that we're going to have to take some cleansing breaths every day. I learned that in Lamaze class when we had our first baby. We're going to take our time and make sure we don't rush into anything. With that being said, you have to look at the academic background of whoever it is. I'm big on that attendance part. You don't get that as much with the junior college piece but you get the grades. I've got to learn what the admissions standards are here. I felt like at Marquette it was going to take two years to understand the landscape academically there. It probably took me two and a half. But we ended up graduating all 23 players who used their eligibility, and in May they'll go 26 of 26. And in December it will be 27 of 27. God willing One last player who would get through that last semester. But I think everyone here will get a feel for what I feel about what academics means. Now what that means as far as a two-year player or a four-year player or a transfer from another Division I school I don't know yet. I really don't. But I'm never opposed to recruiting the right young man. And I think when you mention junior colleges it has got to be as much program based as it is player based. What kind of discipline are they coming with? What kind of values are they coming with? How have they done academically? What is the character? We did a little bit at Marquette. I don't think you ever really shut the door on anything.'' Now that's something interesting stuff.

He's absolutely right about the JUCOs.

Some of them do it right. Some don't. Almost all of them can play, though.

I like what he said about not going for the "quick fix". He's asking fans to be patient and let him build the program the right way. I have to admit, I'm liking Overrated Tom Crean more and more everyday.

Turn Off Ads?