Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Re: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Unlike Mark Coury.
    If you could put Coury's defensive effort into Scotty Hopson's body, you'd have probably a top five college player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    At UT he'll have no such constraints. They don't play much defense in Knoxville.
    They must have played some defense somewhere along the way. They were 5th in the SEC in scoring defense.

All I'm saying is, fans of any team have a tendancy to spit venom at players who choose not to play for them.
    Not Kentucky fans. They are above the fray.

No, but the quote does say he wouldn't fit in at UK.

All I'm saying is, fans of any team have a tendancy to spit venom at players who choose not to play for them.

Ask Philly fans about JD Drew. Or Charger fans about Eli Manning.
    Would BCG make the same promises to Scotty that I have zero doubts that Pearl made? Nope.

Pearl has basically already bequeathed Lofton's minutes to Scotty next year.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    They must have played some defense somewhere along the way. They were 5th in the SEC in scoring defense.
    FIFTH in the WAY DOWN SEC. With their BEST team ever.

Plus, make 'em play half-court and you can absolutely destroy them.

Yay!

Would BCG make the same promises to Scotty that I have zero doubts that Pearl made? Nope.

Pearl has basically already bequeathed Lofton's minutes to Scotty next year.
    And what does that have to do with anything. I'm sure BG could've promised Hopson some minutes.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

FIFTH in the WAY DOWN SEC. With their BEST team ever.

Plus, make 'em play half-court and you can absolutely destroy them.
    I have a hard time believing a team can win 31 games without playing defense. I agree they don't play "lock down" defense but they don't play "matador" defense either.

And what does that have to do with anything. I'm sure BG could've promised Hopson some minutes.
    I'm sure he didn't. I'm sure he told him that PT is earned through practice, and perhaps Gillispie's biggest, most important tenet is playing hard, active, on-ball defense.

Hopson will play the same amount of minutes at UT no matter what he does in practice, or how hard he exerts himself on defense.

Have you heard scouting reports of this kid in high school? Perhaps one of the most disinterested players on the defensive end that many have ever seen.

So you are saying Pearl is a better recruiter than BG.

UK is lucky to not have a bum like Hopson on their squad.

Hell no, I would have loved for Hopson to come to UK. If he was willing to put the work in, it would have been truly something to see what kind of player Gillispie would have turned him into. He will not reach his full potential at UT.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    So you are saying Pearl is a better recruiter than BG.
    ??? Proof is in the pudding.
    We will see.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

So, would you say Lofton would have been a better player if he had played for BG instead of Pearl?

Of course.

That is the biggest contrast on-court between Gillispie and OTS: Player Development.

Joe Crawford is my ultimate example.

The way he grew over the past year, when he did relatively little growing over the previous three, is one of the most miraculous turnarounds I have ever witnessed. He went from a negative defensive presence to a player who took pride in being able to play sticky on-man defense.

Did Lofton have the same growth potential as Crawford? Highly unlikely. However, was he any better at playing defense when he graduated than when he arrived on campus? If so, not by much.

Hell, Look at Perry Stevenson. Asides from his Stick Man body, he looked and played like a COMPLETELY different player.

At this point in time, if I had to rate BCG's strongest asset, it would be his--and his staff's--player development philosophy/ability.

Turn Off Ads?