Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Opening Day Random Thoughts...

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Opening Day Random Thoughts...

Since my blog is only getting slightly more attention than Phyllis Diller would in Maxim magazine...I figured I would post my random thoughts and observations on Opening Day 2008 here...read at your own risk--

I love 700WLW, Mike McConnell, Tracy Jones and the Opening Day show (with new special friend Eddie Fingers) at GameDay--it is a tradition of mine to hit it before the parade--but is it really worth shelling out a five spot to see?? Then once you get in, they want an additional $10 for the skimpy Breakfast Buffet--and also you get the privilage of shelling out $5 for a Bud Light...not to get all old school on y'all-but I remember when the highlight of an Opening Day morning was getting in line for free JTM Burgers and Brats and Grippo's chips across the street from GameDay or Caddy's (for you real old schoolers)...just makes me think I might have to go a different route for future Openers or just come down later.

The Findlay Market Parade was up to its usually high caliber--but because of the weather and unfortunate news about Matt Maupin--things did seem somewhat downbeat. It was a nice way though to pay respects to the family and other military personnel and veterans who were in the procession. The parade always presents a quandry for me--I would love to see Willie, Seg, Sloanie and Doc at GABP--but to do so would mean missing the Parade.

The Nuxhall tributes (both on WLW and at the Park itself) were very well done, listening to the clips that aired near the end of the tribute of Marty and Joe joking around were as priceless as the memorable calls they have made over the years. A very well done and touching tribute. Of course, what could I say that hasnt already been said about the on field tribute the Reds did for Joe--very classy and very original. The Reds HOF tribute for Joe is outstanding---very moving to see Joe's microphone, headset and tape recorder--what great memories were brought from Joe to us through those items. The wall of words from the fans is also a touching tribute. The video of old Kroger commercials and audio clips from games provided are special and moving--the clips range from great calls to Banana Phone antics to even a classic between Joe and Jonathan Winters. I definitely have to go back to hear clips I couldnt listen to on Monday.

Unfortunately that all said, the game itself was very unmemorable--nothing that will stand out in the future and make one say "Remember in the 08 opener when--". The only thing possibly is that we will remember Javy stylin' in the batter's box. The HHGregg highlight zone and new GameDay Merchandise store are great additions to our park. Opening Day is still the greatest day of the year for me (except for my wedding anniversary, dear!)--but I would be fibbing if I didnt say this year's was somewhat lackluster. As always, Go Reds!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Opening Day Random Thoughts...

I really like the make-up of our pitching staff but I think our everyday players play baseball like a glorified softball team. We have very few small ball players on our starting roster. Dunn, Griffey, Phillips, EE, Patterson are all free swinging players that are going to strike out a lot but also hit a lot of homeruns.

Quote Originally Posted by kentjett View Post
    I really like the make-up of our pitching staff but I think our everyday players play baseball like a glorified softball team. We have very few small ball players on our starting roster. Dunn, Griffey, Phillips, EE, Patterson are all free swinging players that are going to strike out a lot but also hit a lot of homeruns.
    Agreed - with the exception of Patterson, he won't hit a lot of homeruns.

Wish we could have got Kenny Lofton instead. At least that guy will get on base - to the tune of .370 or so. His Career BA is higher than CP's Career OBP. That's a disgusting thing to have to admit!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Was it just me, or did the fan acceptance for the Nuxhall tributes in the stadium seem kind of weak. I thought it would be a standing ovation for at least three or four minutes. Also, the crowd was not really into the game. The only time they attempted to get behind the Reds, was in the bottom of the 9th.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

fugo--I think the weather and the circumstances I mentioned earlier, the Maupin situation, really contributed to the crowd not really being "into it".

I love 700WLW, Mike McConnell, Tracy Jones and the Opening Day show (with new special friend Eddie Fingers) at GameDay--it is a tradition of mine to hit it before the parade--but is it really worth shelling out a five spot to see?? Then once you get in, they want an additional $10 for the skimpy Breakfast Buffet--and also you get the privilage of shelling out $5 for a Bud Light...down later.

Gameday sucks. The Web Site last year said $1 drafts, every Game day! When I got there the audacity of a cover charge, and the fact that the drafts were dis-mantled,chased me across the river. Ky's a lot more friendly!! (I suggest Willie's or Hooter's).

Turn Off Ads?