Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This Date In Reds History (4/2/08): Past Lineups

This Date In Reds History (4/2/08): Past Lineups

10 years ago (1998), a 5-1 win at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Padres.

San Diego
    Quilvio Veras 2b
    Steve Finley cf
    Tony Gwynn rf
    Ken Caminiti 3b
    Greg Vaughn lf
    Archi Cianfrocco 1b
    Carlos Hernandez c
    Chris Gomez ss
    Andy Ashby p

Cincinnati
    Chris Stynes lf
    Jon Nunnally rf
    Willie Greene 3b
    Eduardo Perez 1b
    Reggie Sanders cf
    Bret Boone 2b
    Brook Fordyce c
    Pokey Reese ss
    Steve Cooke p

WP: Steve Cooke (1-0)
    LP: Andy Ashby (0-1)
    Sv: Jeff Shaw (1)
    HR: CIN - Willie Greene (2), Chris Stynes (1).

Steve Cooke made his only appearance of the season in this game.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 04-02-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This Date In Reds History (4/2/08): Past Lineups

Steve Cooke? That's another name I have no recollection at all. I'm guessing for good reason.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Five years ago (2003), a 7-4 loss at Great American Ball Park vs. the Pirates.

Pittsburgh
    Kenny Lofton cf
    Jason Kendall c
    Brian Giles lf
    Aramis Ramirez 3b
    Randall Simon 1b
    Matt Stairs rf
    Pokey Reese 2b
    Jack Wilson ss
    Kip Wells p

Cincinnati
    Barry Larkin ss
    Aaron Boone 2b
    Ken Griffey Jr. cf
    Austin Kearns rf
    Adam Dunn lf
    Sean Casey 1b
    Brandon Larson 3b
    Jason LaRue c
    Ryan Dempster p

WP: Salomon Torres (1-0)
    LP: Josias Manzanillo (0-1)
    Sv: Mike Williams (1)
    HR: PIT - Randall Simon (1), Kevin Young (1), Jason Kendall (2). CIN - Austin Kearns (1), Ken Griffey Jr. (1).

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    LP: Josias Manzanillo (0-1)
    Ugh, somebody make it stop, please! That's a name I cringe at everytime I see it.

Manzanillo's performance that game was impressive, 0.2 innings, 3 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), 2 home runs. The error in the inning that helped contribute to those unearned runs? A throwing error committed by Manzanillo himself.
    Code:
                      Josias Manzanillo replaces Reggie Taylor pitching and batting 9th
              ---  5   34%  M Stairs        Single to RF (Line Drive)
       O      1--  2   26%  P Reese         Popfly: SS
       O      1--  1   19%  J Wilson        Flyball: LF
       RR     1--  5   71%  K Young         Home Run (Fly Ball); Stairs Scores
              ---  1   72%  K Lofton        Reached on E1 (throw) (Ground Ball)
       RR     1--  7   92%  J Kendall       Home Run (Line Drive); Lofton Scores/unER; Kendall Scores/unER
                      Kent Mercker replaces Josias Manzanillo pitching and batting 9th
       O      ---  4   92%  B Giles         Foul Popfly: 3B (3B Foul)
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

10 years ago (1998), a 5-1 win at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Padres.

Cincinnati
    Chris Stynes lf
    Jon Nunnally rf
    Willie Greene 3b
    Eduardo Perez 1b
    Regie Sanders cf
    Bret Boone 2b
    Brook Fordyce c
    Pokey Reese ss
    Steve Cooke p
    That lineup looks awfully 1982- or 1983-ish. Stynes and Nunally: the Paul Householder and Duane Walker of the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Ugh, somebody make it stop, please! That's a name I cringe at everytime I see it.

Manzanillo's performance that game was impressive, 0.2 innings, 3 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), 2 home runs. The error in the inning that helped contribute to those unearned runs? A throwing error committed by Manzanillo himself.
    Code:
                      Josias Manzanillo replaces Reggie Taylor pitching and batting 9th
              ---  5   34%  M Stairs        Single to RF (Line Drive)
       O      1--  2   26%  P Reese         Popfly: SS
       O      1--  1   19%  J Wilson        Flyball: LF
       RR     1--  5   71%  K Young         Home Run (Fly Ball); Stairs Scores
              ---  1   72%  K Lofton        Reached on E1 (throw) (Ground Ball)
       RR     1--  7   92%  J Kendall       Home Run (Line Drive); Lofton Scores/unER; Kendall Scores/unER
                      Kent Mercker replaces Josias Manzanillo pitching and batting 9th
       O      ---  4   92%  B Giles         Foul Popfly: 3B (3B Foul)
    Unfortunately, I remember that game. I also remember one against the Dodgers in which Paul Wilson allowed something like seven runs in an either 0 or 0.1 inning start.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Unfortunately, I remember that game. I also remember one against the Dodgers in which Paul Wilson allowed something like seven runs in an either 0 or 0.1 inning start.
    I was at that Wilson start; it's the infamous game where DanO was caught by FSN cameras laughing during the whole mess. That's the second worst inning of Reds baseball I've ever seen, and it's also the only time I've ever walked out on the team early in the game due to utter disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

When I saw his name for the first time that year, I had been kind of out of touch with the game for a bit. Having not heard the name before, I thought perhaps he was a rookie or a youngster just coming through the system.
    Imagine my surprise when I found out he was a 35-year-old 10-year veteran. Then, I realized how much the Reds were sucking. Thanks, Jim Bowden. Thanks a lot.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

That Dodgers game that Wilson pitched in was attended by the Powell Valley High School graduating class of 2005. Needless to say it was a very bad night, riding a school bus from Southwest Virginia to Cincinnati Ohio and then see them get demolished like that....... Only other game I can remember that is worse is a game my dad took me to for my birthday a few years ago against the Phillies, I think the Phils scored like 13 runs in the first inning or something.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    That Dodgers game that Wilson pitched in was attended by the Powell Valley High School graduating class of 2005. Needless to say it was a very bad night, riding a school bus from Southwest Virginia to Cincinnati Ohio and then see them get demolished like that....... Only other game I can remember that is worse is a game my dad took me to for my birthday a few years ago against the Phillies, I think the Phils scored like 13 runs in the first inning or something.
    I mentioned that the first inning of that Dodgers game is the second worst inning of Reds baseball that I've ever seen in person.

That Phillies game you mentioned is the worst inning of Reds baseball that I've ever seen in person.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Steve Cooke? That's another name I have no recollection at all. I'm guessing for good reason.
    Steve Cooke was a big 6'6" lefty who had pitched a few years with the Pirates in the mid-90's. He would probably best be described as "back-of-rotation filler/lefty long reliever" material, whose best season was 1993, when he was 10-10 with a 3.89 ERA as a 23-year-old rookie for the Bucs. The Reds brought him to Spring Training, and he ended up winning the #4 spot in the rotation--quickly being promoted to #3 when Dave Burba got traded the night before Opening Day. He pitched 6 innings allowing 1 run on 4 hits with 3 K's in picking up the win, then went on the DL with some sort of arm trouble, I believe. At 28 years old, He never played Major League Baseball again--his first and only appearance as a Red in Game 3 of the 1998 season also turned out to be the final game of his career.

Steve Cooke was a big 6'6" lefty who had pitched a few years with the Pirates in the mid-90's. He would probably best be described as "back-of-rotation filler/lefty long reliever" material, whose best season was 1993, when he was 10-10 with a 3.89 ERA as a 23-year-old rookie for the Bucs. The Reds brought him to Spring Training, and he ended up winning the #4 spot in the rotation--quickly being promoted to #3 when Dave Burba got traded the night before Opening Day. He pitched 6 innings allowing 1 run on 4 hits with 3 K's in picking up the win, then went on the DL with some sort of arm trouble, I believe. At 28 years old, He never played Major League Baseball again--his first and only appearance as a Red in Game 3 of the 1998 season also turned out to be the final game of his career.
    Thanks! Your a fountain of information. I was kind of tuned out of the Reds and baseball during that time. The strike I guess. I only followed casually for quite a while there in the 90's and early 2000's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Thanks! Your a fountain of information. I was kind of tuned out of the Reds and baseball during that time. The strike I guess. I only followed casually for quite a while there in the 90's and early 2000's.
    I understand. 1998 was the season I finally came all the way back from the strike. I had still followed the Reds (and baseball in general) on the radio and TV, but '98 was the first season since the strike that I actually attended a game. Actually, it was the first time I had gone to a game since 1991--since I was going to school part-time and working part-time, I couldn't afford to go in 1992, '93, or '94. I finally got my first full-time teaching job in 1995, but the strike had turned me off, and I didn't go to any games in 1995, '96, or '97. I finally decided to go back to a game in 1998, but I wasn't able to get to Cincinnati. However, I happened to be in Chicago when the Reds made their interleague visit to play the White Sox, so I went to (New) Comiskey to see the Reds. I was also able to see the Reds visit the Pirates at Three Rivers Stadium later in the year. (Pittsburgh is about an hour closer to my home than Cincinnati.)
    Last edited by Big Klu; 04-02-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Turn Off Ads?