Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Corey Patterson 1 Yr $3 Million??

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Corey Patterson 1 Yr $3 Million??

I just happened to read Fay's blog. He states that Corey Patterson is making $3 Million (Yes, one crooked number and SIX zeroes) for this season. I guess that squelches any reasonable claim that Bruce will be playing CF in May barring an injury.

Fay's blog: Biggest surprise to me: Corey Patterson is making $3 million. He came in on a minor league deal, but must have gotten a big bump for making the club.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 04-02-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Corey Patterson $3 Million

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I just happened to read Fay's blog. He states that Corey Patterson is making $3 Million (Yes, one crooked number and SIX zeroes) for this season. I guess that squelches any reasonable claim that Bruce will be playing CF in May barring an injury.
    I don't think the plan was ever for Bruce to be playing CF in May. I think he will be playing RF when the appearingly out-of-shape Griffey goes down with an injury.
    Go BLUE!!!

Yay!

Here's the whole list:

Player Salary Position
    Affeldt, Jeremy $ 3,000,000 Pitcher
    Arroyo, Bronson $ 4,575,000 Pitcher
    Bako, Paul $ 750,000 Catcher
    Belisle, Matt $ 1,250,000 Pitcher
    Burton, Jared (Levi) $ 395,000 Pitcher
    Castro, Juan $ 975,000 Infielder
    Coffey, Todd $ 907,500 Pitcher
    Cordero, Francisco $ 8,625,000 Pitcher
    Cueto, Johnny $ 390,000 Pitcher
    Dunn, Adam $ 13,000,000 Outfielder
    Encarnacion, Edwin $ 450,000 Third Baseman
    Fogg, Josh $ 400,000 Pitcher
    Freel, Ryan $ 3,000,000 Outfielder
    Gonzalez, Alex Luis $ 4,625,000 Shortstop
    Griffey Jr., Ken $ 8,282,695 Outfielder
    Harang, Aaron $ 6,750,000 Pitcher
    Hatteberg, Scott $ 1,850,000 First Baseman
    Hopper, Norris $ 402,500 Outfielder
    Keppinger, Jeff $ 402,500 Shortstop
    Lincoln, Mike $ 550,000 Pitcher
    Livingston, Bobby $ 392,500 Pitcher
    Mercker, Kent $ 600,000 Pitcher
    Patterson, Corey $ 3,000,000 Outfielder
    Phillips, Brandon $ 2,937,500 Second Baseman
    Ross , David $ 2,525,000 Catcher
    Volquez, Edison $ 392,500 Pitcher
    Votto, Joey $ 390,000 First Baseman
    Weathers, David $ 3,300,000 Pitcher

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/b...r=2008&team=18
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't think the plan was ever for Bruce to be playing CF in May. I think he will be playing RF when the appearingly out-of-shape Griffey goes down with an injury.
    I agree with you but I wouldn't say that is the resounding theme on Redszone. I am more interested in Patterson getting $3 Million. That's a lot of dough for a good defensive OF. Not to mention he is making MORE than Phillips.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I am more interested in Patterson getting $3 Million. That's a lot of dough for a good defensive OF.
    I agree. I hope it's not a Krivsky Special (2 year deal with a player option for 2010)...

Re: Corey Patterson 1 Yr $3 Million??

Hatteberg + Gonzalez + Patterson + Freel + Castro + Affeldt + Stanton = roughly $20MM

If you just flat out cut those guys and added replacement level players, how much worse do you think this team would be?

Now add a $20MM player. Or two $10MM players.

And some wonder why I seem to be negative on the job Krivsky has done.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 04-02-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Forgot the buyout

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Hatteberg + Gonzalez + Patterson + Freel + Castro + Affeldt = roughly $16.5MM
    ouch.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Hatteberg + Gonzalez + Patterson + Freel + Castro + Affeldt + Stanton = roughly $20MM

If you just flat out cut those guys and added replacement level players, how much worse do you think this team would be?

And some wonder why I seem to be negative on the job Krivsky has done.
    I agree completely. But the trick is finding the right $20MM or $10MM player(s). The good thing about the crappy guys is that you can afford swallow the pill if and when the don't pan out. And on occasion somebody else will give you a prospect to take the risk that they will. They also tend to carry much short contract lengths, so you can recover more quickly.

When you sign that big contact guy, he darn well better be worth the cash or you're in big trouble. A signing of Barry Zito or Gary Matthews Jr. can set you back a whole bunch, all at once, for a long, and without an escape hatch.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Not a lot of $20MM or $10MM 1 or 2 year contracts...
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I don't really think 3 million is out of line for Patterson.
    Look at what Freel got 7 million/2 years, and he was never even able to claim a starting job.

The bottom line is that when Josh was traded, they were forced to get a CF. The only two FAs left were Patterson and Lofton. I'd rather have Patterson.

Patterson made an impact with his glove yesterday. So far, he's off to a good start, IMO.
    I suspect he'll stablize CF in the way we hoped AGon would stabliize SS.

I think part of the reason for the animousity towards Patterson is because of the perception that he's holding back Bruce. Much like many people initially despised Aurillia because they felt he'd hold back Lopez unjustifiably.

Patterson was a very good, low risk signing, IMO, even if most of Redszone doesn't realize it.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't really think 3 million is out of line for Patterson.
    Look at what Freel got 7 million/2 years, and he was never even able to claim a starting job.
    You can't compare one Wayne signing with another of his signings. If he dropped $3MM on Mercker, would it have been ok since Stanton got paid what he got paid?

Patterson's glove can and did make an impact. But he's a black hole of suck at the top of the lineup.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Not a lot of $20MM or $10MM 1 or 2 year contracts...
    Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme. It is still wasted money.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I agree completely. But the trick is finding the right $20MM or $10MM player(s). The good thing about the crappy guys is that you can afford swallow the pill if and when the don't pan out. And on occasion somebody else will give you a prospect to take the risk that they will. They also tend to carry much short contract lengths, so you can recover more quickly.

When you sign that big contact guy, he darn well better be worth the cash or you're in big trouble. A signing of Barry Zito or Gary Matthews Jr. can set you back a whole bunch, all at once, for a long, and without an escape hatch.
    This is an excellent point and I agree.

You can't compare one Wayne signing with another of his signings. If he dropped $3MM on Mercker, would it have been ok since Stanton got paid what he got paid?
    I guess my point is that most people liked the Freel signing at the time. Personally, I hated it. So the logic is: If you liked the Freel signing, why complain about 1 year for Patterson?

Most people seemed to like the Afedlt signing if he ended up in the pen. That's also 3 million.

Now I realize that you may not have liked either edabbs44. I can understand that. Personally, I like Patterson. Affedlt was ok to sign for depth. I didn't like the Freel contract one bit.

One thing we have to realize is that Cast is not a skinflint like Lindner. Sure, we can't spend like the big league clubs, but if we are in contention in midseason, I doubt Cast is going to say "Sorry, but you already blew your budget on Patterson and Merker" like John Allen would have.

In short, I don't have problems with rolling the dice on guys like Weathers, Affedlt and Patterson. I'd rather get impact guys, but they aren't always available. I had a huge problem with the Stanton signing, because it was a given that he'd stink up the place.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?