Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alou says he wouldn't have caught Bartman ball

Alou says he wouldn't have caught Bartman ball

Tuesday, April 1, 2008
    Alou says he wouldn't have caught Bartman ball in 2003 NLCS
    ESPN.com news services

Should Steve Bartman be off the hook with Cubs fans? According to Moises Alou, he should be.

Bartman ball
    The threadbare remains of the baseball deflected by Steve Bartman in the Cubs' Game 6 loss to the Marlins rest inside a case moments after being blown up in Chicago.

Alou, now with the Mets, said he wouldn't have caught the now-infamous pop foul in the 2003 National League Championship Series that hit the heel of Bartman's hand in the eighth inning of Game 6, prolonging an inning in which the Marlins later rallied for the lead. Florida went on to win the series.

The Cubs were leading the Marlins three games to two in the 2003 NLCS, ahead 3-0 in the top of the eighth inning and five outs from returning to the World Series for the first time since 1945 when Florida's Luis Castillo lifted a foul down the line in left just past the bullpen.

Alou raced over, timed his jump perfectly, opened his glove wide -- and got beat to the ball by a 26-year-old youth baseball coach in Row 116, Seat 9 who didn't do anything more strenuous than stand up. The baseball hit the heel of Bartman's hand and caromed farther back into the stands. In the Marlins dugout, Game 7 pitcher Mark Redman turned to a teammate and said, "Let's make this kid famous."

They did, but only because a few pitches later, Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez made an equally ham-handed attempt on a grounder that should have been an inning-ending double play. Florida erupted for eight runs to win Game 6 and the only real suspense left was whether the kid would get out of Wrigley Field alive that night. The Marlins clinched the NLCS the night after.

"Everywhere I play, even now, people still yell, 'Bartman! Bartman!' I feel really bad for the kid," Alou told Associated Press columnist Jim Litke.

"You know what the funny thing is?" he added a moment later. "I wouldn't have caught it, anyway."

That stands in stark contrast to Alou's reaction at the time. After the play, he jumped up and down with his arms outstretched.

After the game, he said: "I timed it perfectly, I jumped perfectly. I'm almost 100 percent that I had a clean shot to catch the ball. All of a sudden, there's a hand on my glove."

He didn't have kind words for Bartman on that night either.

"Hopefully, he won't have to regret it for the rest of his life," he said.

You know, you feel sorry for the guy. He did nothing but do what almost any fan would have done in that situation. Catch a ball at a NLCS game? I probably would have done it, too. It's easy to say he's an idiot until you really imagine what it would have been like to sit there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alou says he wouldn't have caught Bartman ball

This reminds me of an episode of Family Guy. Stewie and Bartman are at the Cubs game and Stewie says "Steve, why don't you catch that foul ball?" I died when I saw that scene. If I can find it on youtube later then I'll post it.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Bartman's 15 minutes of fame...it never ends.

Its so stupid how Cubs fans plame Bartman. There were several people reaching for that ball. Anyone who sees a ball coming at them at a baseball game tries to catch it. Leave it to Cubs fans to blame one of their own. I feel sorry for Steve.

That right. From looking at the replay, and with all the other hands up there, it's not likely he would have caught that ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    Its so stupid how Cubs fans plame Bartman. There were several people reaching for that ball. Anyone who sees a ball coming at them at a baseball game tries to catch it. Leave it to Cubs fans to blame one of their own. I feel sorry for Steve.
    I wonder how many ladies Bartman has picked up because of his name?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Turn Off Ads?