Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long to Stick with EE

How Long to Stick with EE

Yes, I know it's early and I'm not calling for him to be benched. But how long do you stick with Ed E at 3B if he continues to struggle with his throws? Two throwing errors in two game, and both have been costly.

I've always been a fan of EE and I think he could be a superb defensive player as his mistakes are mistly throwing and his range is fantastic. He makes a lot of plays only a handful of other players could make. And iIt's not all that uncommon for young players to struggle throwing so I have hope that he'll figure it out. But given this is year #3 with him struggling with the throws, at what point do you end the experiment?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Long to Stick with EE

You've gotta stick with him for the time being. If this team is going to have any hope of success this season, he's gotta be a productive member of this squad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

He gets more than 2 games, that is for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Can we wait more than 2 games before we tar and feather him?
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

A year. Seriously. Let the guy breathe a little bit. Breathing down his neck is no way to help him get past a case of the yips. Maybe he's carrying his struggles to the field and to the plate because he's constantly worried about his job security. The guy is 24. If you want to ease him back a little, have him serve as the RH 1B platoon and put Keppinger at 3B vL when Gonzo gets back.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-02-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Can we wait more than 2 games before we tar and feather him?
    It's not like he hasn't made more throwing errors than any other 3rd baseman in the game over the last three years or anything.

And that's w/out even playing full seasons.

At this rate he may well end up being Dunn's replacement in LF.

That is if he hits.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I've been a big supporter of Edwin's and thought he'd have a real breakout this year. But early returns do not look good. The answer to "how long" may be until Adam Rosales, whom I also really like, is ready to go. We can suffer with him at the plate for a while but the defensive lapses are just not tolerable. I'm a bit surprised actually as it seemed he made so much defensive progress in the second half of last year. Let's hope it's just a temporary case of the jitters and that it'll straighten out.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

You make a judgment after this season, july at earliest. I think the Reds need to give him time to find out if he can live up to his potential - and they have time to do that this year.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

The big question is:

Who will RZ blame it on if he struggles again?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

You have to stick with him for awhile because his bat is key to this team having right handed power.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The big question is:

Who will RZ blame it on if he struggles again?
    Adam Dunn of course
    Go Gators!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Adam Dunn of course
    ain't that the truth
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

This thread reminds me of the early game a year or two back when Dunn made what seemd like 5 errors against the Cubs. Not sure if he homered that game too.

quite a while because the options are not good unless you want 3 sub 300 OBPs out there almost everyday
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I knew some would respond with the "wait more than two games" comment. That's why I was clear in my first sentence that I don't think it should happen now. But, oh well...

No one suggested doing it now, or tomorrow, or next week, or next month. It's simple question. It's been a pattern now for three years, so the question isn't should it be now, it's HOW LONG?

Normally, I'd agree with Rick. Let's give the guy a full season without being jerked around. But with this team having a realistic shot of at least being in the race, can they really afford to do that. If this was last year, or any of the past few seasons, I still say wait a year. But I'm starting to think that you give him a month. If he continues to struggle this badly throwing the ball to first, I think they've got no choice but to look at other options.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?