Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upton's swing is entirely too long

Upton's swing is entirely too long

I know he has incredible natural skills and his minor league stats indicate he is very selective. But, sometimes you CAN learn something by watching these guys play. Todd Coffey threw him a 3-0 fastball down the middle and he was late. I think Upton is really going to struggle at this level until he shortens that swing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Upton's swing is entirely too long

He looks completely lost against anything that breaks so far this year. Granted there aren't many 20 year olds who don't struggle in the majors.... but he looks lost right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He looks completely lost against anything that breaks so far this year. Granted there aren't many 20 year olds who don't struggle in the majors.... but he looks lost right now.
    Eric Davis looked lost in 1984.

Upton may be a year away.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Edit: wrong thread
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 04-02-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Alex Gordon is what -2 years older? And he is as good a young hitter as you'd hope to see but he struggled mightily last year when he came up. He learned, adapted and gradually became a solid hitter. This year he'll rake. I suspect Upton will be similar if they stick with him and he has the confidence that he can do it regardless of what the box score says for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Alex Gordon is what -2 years older? And he is as good a young hitter as you'd hope to see but he struggled mightily last year when he came up. He learned, adapted and gradually became a solid hitter. This year he'll rake. I suspect Upton will be similar if they stick with him and he has the confidence that he can do it regardless of what the box score says for awhile.
    Gordon is 24 right now. Upton won't turn 21 until late August.

His swing caught up with that Cueto heater today...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    His swing caught up with that Cueto heater today...
    I was saying it all game. He was getting his bat to catch up with the fastballs, he was just missing them. He eventually didn't miss it and it was a ROCKET.

I then yelled at the guy who threw the HR back for being an idiot for throwing back a future HOF HR ball.

Upton looked pretty bad in the first couple games against the Reds but the kid in on fire since. He homered for the only hit off Cueto on Thursday, went 3-for-5 with another homerun last night in Colorado, and tonight he's 2-for-3 with his 3rd homerun already. Kid doesn't even turn 21 years old until August 25th. He's going to be quite a special player for along time...just like Bruce.

I then yelled at the guy who threw the HR back for being an idiot for throwing back a future HOF HR ball.
    Hyperbole much?

Doug, I think you are fantastic contributor to this site and really enjoy reading your posts, but dear lord do you have a tendency to overrate prospects. I think Upton is going to be a great player, but calling a 20 year old kid a future Hall of Famer is so premature it is laughable.

A lot of things can happen to derail the career of even the most talented young players. Many of those things have nothing to do with their ability to play baseball. Just look at the career of the guy who was playing CF in the GABP last year.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I wouldn't throw back a Justin Upton home run ball, HOFer or not. He's going to be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Hyperbole much?

Doug, I think you are fantastic contributor to this site and really enjoy reading your posts, but dear lord do you have a tendency to overrate prospects. I think Upton is going to be a great player, but calling a 20 year old kid a future Hall of Famer is so premature it is laughable.
    Upton isn't a prospect. The kid was the #1 draft pick in the 2005 draft since about 2002 rolled around and everyone knew it. Is he a future HOF'er? Sure, we don't know. But the kid is absolutely the best young talent in the major leagues. It was a bit of a joke, but you really need to know who you are throwing back home run balls of. It wasn't a Jeff Salazar HR ball. There are just certain people you don't throw home run balls back of (personally I wouldn't throw any back) and Justin Upton is a guy you keep a home run ball of.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

There are just certain people you don't throw home run balls back of (personally I wouldn't throw any back) and Justin Upton is a guy you keep a home run ball of.
    doug, I love reading your stuff, but you must understand, that kind of thinking will get you seriously injured in a place like...Chicago.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    doug, I love reading your stuff, but you must understand, that kind of thinking will get you seriously injured in a place like...Chicago.
    Thats alright, I would go down swinging while screaming 1908

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Thats alright, I would go down swinging while screaming 1908
    That would not solve the "getting hurt" problem!!!
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?