Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chris Henry charged with assault...and cut by the Bengals

Re: Chris Henry charged with assault...and cut by the Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Bengals.com but they're suggesting that they pick what might be seen as "best player available."

Let's face it. The Bengals have so many holes they don't need to reach if the player they covet is unavailable. Unfortunately they seem to be sitting on the first pick of the second tier in this draft which is a very bad place to be. We have to hope that a player that either they or another team covets slips to their spot or they're going to have to reach for someone.
    The Bengals should identify the player that will best help the team and go get him, even if that involves moving in the draft. Unfortunately, the Bengals will stand pat and pick best available at their draft position, which isn't always the player that will best help the team.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

WR's generally don't make an impact until their third year.

This team's window is closing fast and the D needs fixed NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The Bengals should identify the player that will best help the team and go get him, even if that involves moving in the draft. Unfortunately, the Bengals will stand pat and pick best available at their draft position, which isn't always the player that will best help the team.
    Disagree on trading up. This team has way too many holes to fill to trade away draft picks in an attempt to move up. Those picks in the second, third and fourth rounds can be used to fill gaping holes at WR, LB, and the DL. The first four rounds are usually good for some key first year contributors and thats what this team needs.

If they could swing a player and their first pick to move up that would be great. But teams usually want draft picks in trades and the Bengals really have little of value to offer if Chad Johnson is off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    This team's window is closing fast and the D needs fixed NOW.
    I keep hearing this but don't understand it. Really this teams window closed a couple years ago. Now they have an old line, two disgruntled WR, and nothing at RB. The window is definitely closed and there is no quick fix that will make this team a Super Bowl contender. On the positive side Carson has a lot of productive seasons left in him if the Bengals seek to rebuild this mess of a team.

I keep hearing this but don't understand it. Really this teams window closed a couple years ago. Now they have an old line, two disgruntled WR, and nothing at RB. The window is definitely closed and there is no quick fix that will make this team a Super Bowl contender. On the positive side Carson has a lot of productive seasons left in him if the Bengals seek to rebuild this mess of a team.
    I pretty much agree but my point was that if you have hopes of making a run, a high pick on a WR is a wasted pick.

Firing Marvin and and taking the BPA works for me.

I pretty much agree but my point was that if you have hopes of making a run, a high pick on a WR is a wasted pick.

I wonder... if the Bengals went 4-12 this season, would that seal Marvin's fate?

With Mike Brown I honestly don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I wonder... if the Bengals went 4-12 this season, would that seal Marvin's fate?

With Mike Brown I honestly don't know...
    IMO, Marvin should already have been canned. However, anything less than 9-7 this year should seal his fate

I agree with you. You never know with Brown. I'm sure he thinks Marvin is swell.

I'm starting to agree with you mostly because there isn't a great WR in this draft. Malcolm Kelly is dropping like a rock and Jackson has issues as well. There is a decent chance that one of the top three receivers will be there when the Bengals pick in the second round.

Disagree on trading up. This team has way too many holes to fill to trade away draft picks in an attempt to move up. Those picks in the second, third and fourth rounds can be used to fill gaping holes at WR, LB, and the DL. The first four rounds are usually good for some key first year contributors and thats what this team needs.

If they could swing a player and their first pick to move up that would be great. But teams usually want draft picks in trades and the Bengals really have little of value to offer if Chad Johnson is off the table.
    It doesn't have to mean trading up. It could mean trading down if the guy they want can be had at a lower slot and pick up more picks in the meantime. The key though, is identifying the player you want and getting them, not waiting passively for whoever is around when you pick or overpaying for someone who could be had later.

My feeling though is that WR is a hole that is far easier to fill than DL, OL, and LB and should be addressed in the later rounds or through other means (trade, waiver wire, etc.). My concern is that the Bengals follow that BPA philosophy and end up wasting picks on positions where talent can be found later in the draft because they think they're getting a deal.

I'm actually fine if the Bengals have a season or two without 3 all-world WRs if it means they beef up the DL and OL. A good OL will help Carson Palmer make mediocre receivers look better. Look at what New England's OL did for Wes Welker. Stick with addressing the D and the OL and tell the WRs you aren't going to let them hold the team for ransom.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

If they draft a WR in the first round I will be furious. It would be worse than the Klingler and Akili Smith picks. They'll have plenty, and I repeat, plenty of time to get some quality receivers later in the draft.

You build a football team from the inside out. Not outside to in like the Bengals think. Strengthen the trenches and everything else falls into place.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    If they draft a WR in the first round I will be furious. It would be worse than the Klingler and Akili Smith picks. They'll have plenty, and I repeat, plenty of time to get some quality receivers later in the draft.

You build a football team from the inside out. Not outside to in like the Bengals think. Strengthen the trenches and everything else falls into place.
    Exactamundo!

Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Schein: How are you doing mentally?

Henry: I’m fine, you know? Only I know that I really ain’t in the wrong for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I deal with defendants who are multiple offenders often in my job. Henry talks like one of those guys you know you are going to be seeing in the courtroom in the near future. I've heard some on the Bengals boards complain that the Bengals should have waited for the legal process to play itself out. However, based on his attitude here ("I ain't in the wrong for anything"), he just doesn't have the right outlook for someone trying to turn his life around. The people I've dealt with who have troubled pasts and want to turn it around are able to see that turning your life around isn't about being "in the right" or "wrong." It's about not putting yourself in situations and in an environment where you're going to find yourself back in court. It usually means moving away from your friends, cutting off all contact with the guys you used to run around with, and not going to the type of places where you used to get in trouble. It sounds like Henry hasn't moved on yet, so it's for the best that the Bengals have.

Turn Off Ads?