Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BAD Managing By Dusty

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

BAD Managing By Dusty

Bot 9, runners on 1st and 2nd and EdE up. Reds down by 1. Dusty has EdE BUNT. EdE has never laid down a successful bunt in his entire career and looked clueless trying. If Dusty wanted a bunt he needed to PH for EdE. Of course, once he let Mr. Clutch swing away he won the game.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BAD Managing By Dusty

I was really upset about him trying to make him bunt. I kept thinking, "boy I hope that he gets 2 strikes and swings away from a base hit." I wasn't expecting a home run, but that was great!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Bot 9, runners on 1st and 2nd and EdE up. Reds down by 1. Dusty has EdE BUNT. EdE has never laid down a successful bunt in his entire career and looked clueless trying. If Dusty wanted a bunt he needed to PH for EdE. Of course, once he let Mr. Clutch swing away he won the game.
    Maybe it was part of the strategy?

But in all seriousness, do we have to complain after a win? Chris almighty..

I was wondering how long it would take someone to start a thread like this . The Reds was actually down by two runs and Dusty Baker was trying to move the tieing run into scoring position for a young guy by the name of Joey Votto who just smoked the last pitch he saw back up the middle for a base hit . Is that the wrong move? I would say IMHO it is with Edwin at the plate but it's just that a opinion ( alot of managers would have done the same thing) but don't worry I'm sure you can fine something in tomrrows game to bash Dusty about.
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 04-02-2008 at 10:57 PM.

C Trent:

Dusty said: "I turned to (bench coach) Chris (Speier) and said, 'Chris, I kinda hope he doesn't get it down here so he can hit a 3-run homer.'"

Dusty is now .500 which is better than any other manager we've had here in the last 7 years.

I think one year ago, Stanton and Majewski would have given up 3 runs in the top of the 9th and we would have lost 8-6. Boy, if Merker can stay healthy, we might have a real nice bull pen.

I LOVE the emotion you see from dusty in the dugout, thats what this team has been missing, it wasn't the talent, it was the desire to win in my opinion. I have no idea why you guys have to be so down after such a great game. I'm Pumped!
    we split against webb n haren, with the opportunity to take the rubber game with cueto tomorrow. things are good in reds land imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I it wasn't the talent, it was the desire to win in my opinion.
    No, it was the talent.

On managing:
    Bad-Sacrifice bunt with EE. Down 2, bad idea with most anybody up but especially EE.
    Good-Sticking with his relievers. He let Coffey and Affeldt finish their innings. The last couple managers would have had 4 or 5 other relievers in the game.

On the other hand what was Dusty thinking trying to put the tieing run in scoring position for Joey Votto a %*&# Rookie for god sakes!!!! We all know Dusty HATES young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    On the other hand what was Dusty thinking trying to put the tieing run in scoring position for Joey Votto a %*&# Rookie for god sakes!!!! We all know Dusty HATES young players.
    haha i love it. no matter what dusty does, he's going to be hated on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    C Trent:

Dusty said: "I turned to (bench coach) Chris (Speier) and said, 'Chris, I kinda hope he doesn't get it down here so he can hit a 3-run homer.'"
    If that's the case, why bother going through the motions of making him bunt? Because that's how you "play the game the right way"? Sure, in perfect world Encarnacion would be a competent bunter. Dusty apparently knew he wasn't though, and decided to have him do it anyway. He really put Encarnacion in a tough position by putting him into a pitcher's count, and on the precipice of making a crucial out. I'm glad Edwin was able to overcome it and hit the game-winner.

he actually put edwin in an easy situation to build some confidence in my opinion. if you're a major league player you should be able to get a bunt down fairly easily. Good news for us is, his failure also turned into his success.

Quote Originally Posted by jlb1705 View Post
    If that's the case, why bother going through the motions of making him bunt? Because that's how you "play the game the right way"? Sure, in perfect world Encarnacion would be a competent bunter. Dusty apparently knew he wasn't though, and decided to have him do it anyway. He really put Encarnacion in a tough position by putting him into a pitcher's count, and on the precipice of making a crucial out. I'm glad Edwin was able to overcome it and hit the game-winner.
    nm sorry

I was trying to be sarcastic there mroby

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    C Trent:

I don't think some of the subsequent posters realize that Dusty was making a joke here.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Turn Off Ads?