Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BAD Managing By Dusty

Re: BAD Managing By Dusty

this was not bad managing by dusty, this was bad baseball by edwin, bunting is as easy as catching, the only difference is you catch the ball with the bat instead of a glove.

Dusty made the right call, down two runs:

runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1st and 2nd with none.

That is how winning baseball is played, not playing for the three run-homer, we got lucky by getting the homer, but i guarantee you more often than not, we don't score any runs if we don't bunt

2. Turn Off Ads?

It worked - wew won. End of discussion.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I want to make this clear, yet again, as it seems many people are missing my point:

I am not saying that bunting was the wrong call. I also do not think letting a batter like EdE swing away in a situation like that is a bad call. One can make a cogent argument defending either decision. I am not criticizing either.

My problem was with Dusty having EdE bunt. For whatever reason, it's a skill he does not possess. If Dusty wanted to bunt there he either needed to PH for EdE or just let him swing away. I have never seen anyone look quite as awkward trying to bunt as EdE.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Dusty did the right thing. What if Edwin hits into a DP and Dusty never puts a bunt on? Then you ridicule him for being an idiot for not moving the runners over. Quit looking for something to whine about and just enjoy the win, dear god....
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Dusty did the right thing. What if Edwin hits into a DP and Dusty never puts a bunt on? Then you ridicule him for being an idiot for not moving the runners over. Quit looking for something to whine about and just enjoy the win, dear god....
    Please...PLEASE read the post immediately preceding yours and read it carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Please...PLEASE read the post immediately preceding yours and read it carefully.
    He is a baseball player! Not all pitchers "posses" the skill to bunt but they are still asked to. You are talking like Dusty asked to kid to run through a brick wall. If he struggles bunting he should work on it more because it should be a given trait for a major leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    He is a baseball player! Not all pitchers "posses" the skill to bunt but they are still asked to. You are talking like Dusty asked to kid to run through a brick wall. If he struggles bunting he should work on it more because it should be a given trait for a major leaguer.
    Completely agree that he should work on it more. He also needs to improve the accuracy of his throws. My point is that he was not the best person to have sacrificing in a critical situation. That's ALL. Not that EdE shouldn't have to worry about bunting. Not that the call to sacrifice in that situation was necessarily the wrong one. Not that Dusty is a bad manager.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Completely agree that he should work on it more. He also needs to improve the accuracy of his throws. My point is that he was not the best person to have sacrificing in a critical situation. That's ALL. Not that EdE shouldn't have to worry about bunting. Not that the call to sacrifice in that situation was necessarily the wrong one. Not that Dusty is a bad manager.
    And my point is no matter who is up in that situation you make the same call every time it is hands down the smart play. You cannot blame any manager for that.

bunting is A LOT more of a part of being a good baseball player than it is a skill. Just taking a few reps to lay a few down during BP is enough for someone as talented as EDE to be able to simply put one down, this is not a strategically placed drag bunt, just put it on the turf and he's done his job. bunting is a lot like the 15 foot jumper in basketball, it's a lost art because nobody works at it AT ALL. Every major leaguer should have ZERO problem laying down a bunt.

Hindsight is 20/20. If he went up swinging and struck out, and then couldn't get the runners over the next two AB's, people would have said we should have bunted and it was bad managing to not to try to get the runners over. Everyone is a backseat manager here, what else is new? We won though, thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. If he went up swinging and struck out, and then couldn't get the runners over the next two AB's, people would have said we should have bunted and it was bad managing to not to try to get the runners over. Everyone is a backseat manager here, what else is new? We won though, thats all that matters.
    lol...I give.

When is Hopper going to start? Is Dusty afraid he'll be proven wrong?

11,987 announced attendance for Cueto's debut?

Are there no baseball fans in Cincinnati?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    11,987 announced attendance for Cueto's debut?

Are there no baseball fans in Cincinnati?
    The fan turnout has been very poor thus far. Very disappointing.

some people need to realize there is waaaay more to the game than statistics. managers deal with REAL people, and set REAL atmospheres in clubhouses that can make a team better or worse. it's not all about stats on a sheet.

Turn Off Ads?