Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt tonight?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - All major leaguers should be able to bunt

14 15.73%
  • No - Never ask a player to bunt when he can't

75 84.27%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

A simple poll. Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt tonight?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

HELL NO.

Anyone who says yes, PLEASE explain your reasoning.

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

No.

Maybe he knows that now.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    No.

Maybe he knows that now.
    If he wasn't smart enough to know it before, I'm inclined to doubt that he knows it now.

No, giving away outs down by 2 is a bad plan.
    Go Gators!

Two ways to look at this.

I say no, because I know Encarnacion is capable of doing what he did. I also know that he has a good bat. BUT...

Dusty has no idea who he's dealing with yet (though some would say he exhibits this behavior no matter where he is) and watching Edwin this spring and in the first 1.8 games of the year, you might want to not take a chance with him. He's been a walking mistake thus far.

Yeah, it was still a boneheaded decision,but I think I can understand it in this situation.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

No. If the manager really wanted a sac in that sitch he should have pinch hit for a guy with bunting skills. Problem with that is you take the bat out of the hands of one of the legit HR hitters in your lineup, give away the first out so 'Boom Boom' Bako can win the game for you? Or failing that the deadly PH Mustachio Man? Actually it's a darn good thing EE can't bunt to save his life or the homerun would never have happend and the Reds would likely have lost the game. Wonder if Dusty scorches him for failing to get the job done?

I voted "no". But a wacky thought came to me. What if Dusty is in a way "calling out" the entire team by calling for that bunt? What if he's announcing that we're going to bunt any time I think we should, and you all had better improve your technique if you don't want to be humiliated.

I know that's a reach, but is it possible that there's any truth to it?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    If he wasn't smart enough to know it before, I'm inclined to doubt that he knows it now.
    Well, we can hope

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Well, we can hope
    Believe me, I am!!

I don't like the choices so I didn't vote.

I'd have voted no, I don't think they should have bunted down by two runs, even though it would have put the tying run at 2nd.

OTOH, I don't think it would have been unreasonable to pursue that strategy.

It's easy to say it would have been stupid now, but what if Encarnacion had hit into a DP? men on second and third with one out would have looked pretty good then. Especially as the home team.

Finally, I think all major league players should be able to bunt.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I don't like the choices so I didn't vote.

I'd have voted no, I don't think they should have bunted down by two runs, even though it would have put the tying run at 2nd.

OTOH, I don't think it would have been unreasonable to pursue that strategy.

It's easy to say it would have been stupid now, but what if Encarnacion had hit into a DP? men on second and third with one out would have looked pretty good then. Especially as the home team.

Finally, I think all major league players should be able to bunt.
    I did vote no for many of the reasons that Pedro stated. If EE is looking at one out I let him swing the bat, but with no outs and Edwin struggling I need those runners on 2nd and 3rd to keep the momentum going. I think it is a matter of judgement that could go either way, however it is always easier to say swing away when you have the end result you had tonight. If EE had hit into a double play I am not sure this thread exists.

Regardless like many on here I am glad it worked out for the best, and yes all MLB players should know how to bunt.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote from Dusty:

"I told [bench coach] Chris [Speier], 'I hope he doesn't get the bunt down so he gets a three-run homer," Baker said.

Turn Off Ads?