Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt tonight?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - All major leaguers should be able to bunt

    14 15.73%
  • No - Never ask a player to bunt when he can't

    75 84.27%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 129

Thread: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

  1. #46
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,027

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That was an awfully long post to prove that there's no statistical way of knowing if Dusty made the right call or not.
    I've never claimed brevity among my strengths...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I think that failure and embarassment is good for a player with great potential. I'm happy to lose a game but win a great hitter. It's a challenge-- "I never want to be asked to bunt again"

    and he might not.
    So do you think The Dusty will ever ask EE to bunt again?

  4. #48
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,138

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I voted "no". But a wacky thought came to me. What if Dusty is in a way "calling out" the entire team by calling for that bunt? What if he's announcing that we're going to bunt any time I think we should, and you all had better improve your technique if you don't want to be humiliated.

    I know that's a reach, but is it possible that there's any truth to it?
    I am sure this will suprise you, but I was thinking the exact same thing last night. The question is, will Dusty continue to do this, likely to the short-term detriment of the team?

    If Dusty was purely asking Encarnacion to bunt as a solitary in-game decision it was about as poor a decision as one can make IMO.

    GL

  5. #49
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I voted "no". But a wacky thought came to me. What if Dusty is in a way "calling out" the entire team by calling for that bunt? What if he's announcing that we're going to bunt any time I think we should, and you all had better improve your technique if you don't want to be humiliated.

    I know that's a reach, but is it possible that there's any truth to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Not even a chance, in my opinion. Calling for the bunt in that situation is simply Dusty Baker Baseball 101, and there's reams of precedent to consult. The worst part is not even the fact that he asked one of our best RISP hitters, who has a well documented history of not being able to bunt, to bunt anyway, in a game where we were in a 2 run deficit. The worst part is that Dusty will learn nothing from seeing the diametric opposite of his strategy win the game for us, and will be calling for the same bunt again next go round.

    I don't even care, because Dusty is going to be Dusty... I'm just thrilled for Edwin, and for the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I think that failure and embarassment is good for a player with great potential. I'm happy to lose a game but win a great hitter. It's a challenge-- "I never want to be asked to bunt again"

    and he might not.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I am sure this will suprise you, but I was thinking the exact same thing last night. The question is, will Dusty continue to do this, likely to the short-term detriment of the team?

    If Dusty was purely asking Encarnacion to bunt as a solitary in-game decision it was about as poor a decision as one can make IMO.

    GL

    After hearing Dusty in the pre-game interview, I'm more convinced than ever that he actually is announcing that we will bunt any time he thinks it's appropriate, no matter who is at the plate.

    Marty asked him about it, referencing how few times he'd bunted before in his pro career. Dusty said (paraphrasing) "He practices bunting every day. So do all the players. I expect any of them to be able to bunt. We all bunted when I played for the Dodgers".

    It left no doubt in my mind that he expects these guys to be able to put it on the ground when he calls for it.

    Whether this is a good idea or not, well, it's up for discussion.

    This isn't about the philosophical discussion over the bunt as a tool. This is about each player being able to produce one when called upon. It's a basic baseball skill that they really do practice every day in batting practice. I'd imagine a few of them might be taking it a little more seriously after this.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  6. #50
    Reds 5:11 coachw513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    642

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but I nearly fell off my couch laughing as I listened today to Brantley just HAMMERING EE with the "he's not a clutch player" crap seconds before EE crushes the game-winner...on the other hand I was quite impressed with Thom both in light of his contention from the beginning of the AB that he would not have EE bunt (with his perception that it wasn't in his skillset...you think??) and then was attacking Brantley right back with the stats of EE's production with RISP...

    I enjoy Brantley so much more than Welsh, but he's WAY TOO willing to rant in hyperbole (good or bad) with little supporting him other than his raw emotions...JMHO...


    You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

    Though many of us here are sure trying

  7. #51
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    This isn't about the philosophical discussion over the bunt as a tool. This is about each player being able to produce one when called upon. It's a basic baseball skill that they really do practice every day in batting practice. I'd imagine a few of them might be taking it a little more seriously after this.
    If it's not a philosophical discussion, it should be.

    I can't stand sacrifice bunts, except where the pitcher or Juan Castro is involved.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  8. #52
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I can't stand sacrifices, except where Juan Castro is involved.
    That's what you really meant.

    Go ahead and admit it.

  9. #53
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,429

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Hey guys, who cares!?

    Johnny Cueto!
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  10. #54
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,027

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Hey guys, who cares!?

    Johnny Cueto!
    At Wisconsin football games, the 'N' and 'P' sections regularly shout obscenities at each other. When the section between them, 'O', gets tired of it, they all form an O with their hands and scream O at the top of their lungs until N & P shut up.

    It would seemed that Johnny CuetO has section O'd us all tonight.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  11. #55
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    That's what you really meant.

    Go ahead and admit it.
    Juan sacrifices even when there aren't runners on.

    He's that good.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  12. #56
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Juan sacrifices even when there aren't runners on.

    He's that good.
    That almost sounds Coombsian.

  13. #57
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    That almost sounds Coombsian.
    I made him laugh yesterday. It was the highlight to my life.



    Back to the bunt. I guess we should all be excited that Dusty DIDN'T have Dunn try to bunt over the runner when he was up.

    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  14. #58
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    nm
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  15. #59
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,398

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    After hearing Dusty in the pre-game interview, I'm more convinced than ever that he actually is announcing that we will bunt any time he thinks it's appropriate, no matter who is at the plate.

    Marty asked him about it, referencing how few times he'd bunted before in his pro career. Dusty said (paraphrasing) "He practices bunting every day. So do all the players. I expect any of them to be able to bunt. We all bunted when I played for the Dodgers".

    It left no doubt in my mind that he expects these guys to be able to put it on the ground when he calls for it.

    Whether this is a good idea or not, well, it's up for discussion.

    This isn't about the philosophical discussion over the bunt as a tool. This is about each player being able to produce one when called upon. It's a basic baseball skill that they really do practice every day in batting practice. I'd imagine a few of them might be taking it a little more seriously after this.
    I've never seen a manager live in the past like Dusty Baker does. I honestly can't remember a time he's talked baseball without speaking of the Dodger way or what he did back with the Dodgers. Baseball has progressed in many ways but is still being held back by people around the game that are a little stubborn. That's nothing shocking of course.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

  16. #60
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,187

    Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I've never seen a manager live in the past like Dusty Baker does. I honestly can't remember a time he's talked baseball without speaking of the Dodger way or what he did back with the Dodgers. Baseball has progressed in many ways but is still being held back by people around the game that are a little stubborn. That's nothing shocking of course.
    Sometimes I'm surprised he doesn't talk about walking to school, barefoot uphill, both ways.

    GET OFF MY LAWN!

    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25