Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt tonight?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - All major leaguers should be able to bunt

14 15.73%
  • No - Never ask a player to bunt when he can't

75 84.27%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

Re: Should Dusty have asked Edwin to bunt?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    If that's your plan, then make enough of a commitment to your own plan to send a good bunter to the plate to execute it.
    Yep.. that's an issue... but send the PH who can bunt up there and the pitcher gets 2 strikes and you're in a new barrel of pickles.

The better solution would be for the man who doesn't hit 70EBH a year to learn to bunt.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep.. that's an issue... but send the PH who can bunt up there and the pitcher gets 2 strikes and you're in a new barrel of pickles.

The better solution would be for the man who doesn't hit 70EBH a year to learn to bunt.
    Sure, if you could snap your fingers and magically make it happen in the moments before the AB. It's no solution at all if you can't.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    In this particular situation, if there are runners on 2nd and 3rd, a walk to set up the double play would also put the winning run on base.

Generally speaking, intentional walks don't happen in this situation. So avoiding the DP is a fairly valid consideration.
    Putting the winning Run on 1st base when up by 2 Runs in that scenario is far less damaging to the defense than we think. Doing so, results in a WP gain of only 0.016 and the situation is still extremely dire for the offense.

If staying out of a DP scenario needs to be a primary consideration for the offense with none out, then enabling such a scenario certainly should be a primary consideration for the defense as well. And the offense can never stay out of such a scenario should the defense choose to make it happen.

I'd suggest that walking the next hitter after a successful SH in that situation should be utilized more if the DP actually is a primary consideration. But that's the thing. Personally, I feel that "staying out of the DP scenario" is most often just code for "we thought that trading that Out for those extra bases was a good idea at the time".
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I voted "no". But a wacky thought came to me. What if Dusty is in a way "calling out" the entire team by calling for that bunt? What if he's announcing that we're going to bunt any time I think we should, and you all had better improve your technique if you don't want to be humiliated.

I know that's a reach, but is it possible that there's any truth to it?
    Excellent point. Granted Edwin came thorugh with a HR. He was just as likely, IMO, to make an out instead of hitting the HR. (DUH) Fortunately, he came through.

Since when do we not expect players to only be able to execute SOME of the fundamentals? ESPECIALLY just days after ST!!

Even Griffey can bunt well.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I don't care if EddieE was the best bunter in the history of baseball, I wouldn't want him bunting in that situation, period.

This is going to be a long year.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Since when do we not expect players to only be able to execute SOME of the fundamentals?
    Since what we may expect doesn't alter reality?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I'm sure EE has taken tons of bunting practice since he was in high school, all the way up through the minors and I'll bet he was practicing plenty for Narron last year. He's probably as good as he can be at it right now (which who knows how good is that). I doubt it's from lack of trying.
    more a lack of motivation than a lack of opportunity.

my experience is that all players prefer to swing than to bunt, and it takes some motivation (such as looking really bad in a big bunt situation?) to want to learn. Otherwise, you're just going through the motions

interestingly, many players that learn to bunt well do so in their mid-to-late 20's-- Corey Patterson couldn't bunt well just a couple of years ago, for instance.

if you keep stressing the fundamentals to young players, they just might grow up one day and come unDunn for you

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    more a lack of motivation than a lack of opportunity.

my experience is that all players prefer to swing than to bunt, and it takes some motivation (such as looking really bad in a big bunt situation?) to want to learn. Otherwise, you're just going through the motions

interestingly, many players that learn to bunt well do so in their mid-to-late 20's-- Corey Patterson couldn't bunt well just a couple of years ago, for instance.

if you keep stressing the fundamentals to young players, they just might grow up one day and come unDunn for you
    That has been my experience with players. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea the DBacks are stupid for having their players bunt. All that stupidity led them to the NL Championship series. I don't, nor will I ever, understand why people think that bunting, especially in a situation like the other night, is stupid.

As often as the Bill James want to disregard small ball and bunting it still is very useful in today's game. It was great that Edwin hit a HR but I think it is also as likely that he could have hit into a double play.
    Laying down a successful bunt decreased the Reds chances of winning that game. That's just based on probabilities.

Does it really need to go further than that? Especially considering the odds of EE even getting a successful bunt down were poor?

If it works, you shoot yourself in the foot. If it fails, your just wasting valuable chances. It's a lose-lose proposition in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Laying down a successful bunt decreased the Reds chances of winning that game. That's just based on probabilities.

Does it really need to go further than that? Especially considering the odds of EE even getting a successful bunt down were poor?

If it works, you shoot yourself in the foot. If it fails, your just wasting valuable chances. It's a lose-lose proposition in that situation.
    I find that very interesting. I don't see how laying down a successful bunt would decrease the reds chances of winning. In a computerized model you may be correct but on that given day we may never know had Edwin been successful would the reds have won.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I find that very interesting. I don't see how laying down a successful bunt would decrease the reds chances of winning. In a computerized model you may be correct but on that given day we may never know had Edwin been successful would the reds have won.
    That's why you should use all of the data available to you to make the most intelligent, informed decision possible.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    That's why you should use all of the data available to you to make the most intelligent, informed decision possible.
    However, actually, the data shows the bunt does increase win expectancy here. Though not by alot:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=37
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Is that taking into consideration WHO you've got coming up after EE or is it assuming all batters at an equal value?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Is that taking into consideration WHO you've got coming up after EE or is it assuming all batters at an equal value?
    Strictly based on the historical data from 1977 to 2006.

Like I've said before, in that situation, given all the variables I can think of, I wouldn't have asked EE to bunt. Of course, I'm sure none of us are really thinking of ALL the variables.

I was alluding to Austin Kearns' assertion above that a successful bunt decreases win expectancy. Given the historical data, it doesn't.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?