Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Volquez's first start match Cueto's?

Will Volquez's first start match Cueto's?

Edinson Volquez throws 94-95, with a changeup that rivals starting pitcher Johnny Cueto's.

Unfortunately he lacks the tight breaking ball that Cueto throws.

Will Volquez be able to match Cueto's impressive start with the pitch he hasn't mastered yet?

He certainly outpitched Cueto in Spring Training, time will tell if Volquez's changeup will be enough to allow him to pitch in the big leagues without a move to the pen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Volquez's first start match Cueto's?

I highly doubt he will match Cueto, but that doesn't mean he can't have a great start.

Volquez has pitched in the majors before, theres a scouting report on him. I'm gonna say its not as impressive as Cueto's start, but I still think he'll be solid.

a 1 hitter....
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Aaron Harang may not have a start all year that match's Cueto's first start.

If Volquez can get through 7 innings, it will be a very good start. That means he was efficient enough with his pitches to let his defense do the work, while getting out of jams with strikeouts when needed.

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

If Volquez throws 7 1 hit innings and strikes out double digits also - I would start reserving my playoff tickets now.
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Edinson Volquez throws 94-95, with a changeup that rivals starting pitcher Johnny Cueto's.

Unfortunately he lacks the tight breaking ball that Cueto throws.

Will Volquez be able to match Cueto's impressive start with the pitch he hasn't mastered yet?

He certainly outpitched Cueto in Spring Training, time will tell if Volquez's changeup will be enough to allow him to pitch in the big leagues without a move to the pen.
    as a side note he throws harder than Cueto he hits 97 and I saw him pitch last year at his Detroit game and he hit 98 once or twice.

Volquez is going to face a tougher line-up, not likely he tops Cueto's performance.

Hasn't Volquez already faced the majority of Philly's starting lineup this year in Spring Training? I remember one of the two young guys making the Phillies look silly, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Hasn't Volquez already faced the majority of Philly's starting lineup this year in Spring Training? I remember one of the two young guys making the Phillies look silly, I think.
    Looks like March 25, Volquez went 5IP, 5 H, 1ER, 1BB, 5Ks. Utley was out, but looks like he faced Rollins, Victorino, Howard and Burrel all twice. Not a huge sample size, but either way those 5 Phillies hitters are better than any 5 on the D-backs roster.

I doubt it because of how Johnny dominated but it does not mean it will not be good.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Aaron Harang may not have a start all year that match's Cueto's first start.
    +1

And Cueto may not be able to match that start again, either. 10K, no BB, and only 1 hit? That's just plain crazy.

I hope Reds fans can keep perspective and not get disappointed when he has a rookie day.

You have to admit, however, that it is hard to not be excited about the future of both of our young kids. Edison Volquez is supposed to be the better of the two, and after one game, Volquez has taken a back seat. I think if we can get both kids to be solid, our rotation could be the pitching version of the 27 Yankees lineup. Can you feel your heart beating faster, just thinking about it? I know I can. It makes the day go so much slower, but I am so greatly anticipating the next Reds game.

I think it is possible that Volquez could have a very similar start. He could very well pitch 7 innings of 1-run baseball. However, I would expect a couple of hits and maybe 1 walk. He could also have more strikeouts.

Volquez has a better fastball and a much better changeup. His other secondary pitches aren't quite as good as Cueto and his control hasn't been as tight. However, his stuff is ridiculous and probably better than Cueto's. So far this year he shown very good control. I expect very good things from Mr. Volquez.
    Pathei mathos...

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832 View Post
    You have to admit, however, that it is hard to not be excited about the future of both of our young kids. Edison Volquez is supposed to be the better of the two, and after one game, Volquez has taken a back seat. I think if we can get both kids to be solid, our rotation could be the pitching version of the 27 Yankees lineup. Can you feel your heart beating faster, just thinking about it? I know I can. It makes the day go so much slower, but I am so greatly anticipating the next Reds game.
    We need to remember this is just one game. Don't want to annoint him savior just yet. I'm sure he'll definitly endure his ups and downs this year.

As far as the title question. I would have to say no. There wont be many pitchers in baseball that will have a more dominant performance than Cueto's start.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Turn Off Ads?