Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Did Dusty make the right decision taking Adam Dunn out of the game early?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

50 79.37%
  • Yes

10 15.87%
  • Other (explain)

3 4.76%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second Guess the Manager Poll: Today's Topic Dunn Pulled

Second Guess the Manager Poll: Today's Topic Dunn Pulled

Did Dusty make the right decision taking Adam Dunn out of the game early?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Second Guess the Manager Poll: Today's Topic Dunn Pulled

Maybe he was tired after chasing those balls bouncing around the LF wall?

I have no idea why Dusty pulled him. And unless an explanation is given, then that is all we would be doing - second guessing.

Was Dunn's knee bothering him, and he said something to Dusty? If so, then maybe Dusty pulled him due to the amount of rain, and the condition of the OF?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

He wasn't pulling Dunn. Dunn was the last guy due up and he made a double switch. It was all about trying to manage his bullpen and had nothing to do with Dunn. This stuff happens all the time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Maybe I'm of the wrong opinion, but the only reason I take Dunn out of the game is if he's injured, or asks to come out.

I don't think either of those last 2 conditions were the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This stuff happens all the time.
    Not really.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Dusty should manage on the assumption that the Reds' bullpen's not likely to do a very good job of keeping the other team from scoring, necessitating Dunn's presence in the lineup for 9 innings.

This team has lame power in their starting lineup and an even weaker bench. Dunn's the only presence that would force an opposing manager's hand vis. pitching changes and the like.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't care if he was the last out in the inning, you don't pull Dunn in that situation. Without Dunn in the lineup the chances of the Reds mounting a comeback were reduced.

This stuff happens all the time.
    Rarely does (arguably) a team's best hitter get double switched. I view that move as a purely mechanical one with no regard to the personnel involved, similar to having EE bunt the day before, which is something I really didn't expect out of Dusty.

OK, if he was ging to make a double switch, who was he going to take out besides Dunn? Not Phillips and he's certainly not going to take Jr. out. It would be madness to take Kepp out and if you take Patterson out, you might as well not double switch at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Rarely does (arguably) a team's best hitter get double switched. I view that move as a purely mechanical one with no regard to the personnel involved, similar to having EE bunt the day before, which is something I really didn't expect out of Dusty.
    I think it was mechanical too. The point isn't whether I agree with taking Dunn out, but Dusty wanted multiple innings from his next pitcher (rightly so) and mechanically, as you put it, double switched with the guy due up last involved. I personally wouldn't have done that, but it does happen a lot. (Why I voted other and not yes or no).

The point is that the move wasn't any kind of signal that Dusty is unhappy with Dunn or that Dunn's status has changed in the eyes of management. Mechanical is probably a good word for it. Maybe not the best strategy, but reading the game thread, I have the impression that many thought that this was some indication that Dusty was unhappy with Dunn's last at bat or was looking to get him out of there and I don't think that was the case.

I would have left Dunn in, but I agree with finding a way to get multiple innings from his next pitcher.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    OK, if he was ging to make a double switch, who was he going to take out besides Dunn? Not Phillips and he's certainly not going to take Jr. out. It would be madness to take Kepp out and if you take Patterson out, you might as well not double switch at all.
    Don't double switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Exactly.

I think it was mechanical too. The point isn't whether I agree with taking Dunn out, but Dusty wanted multiple innings from his next pitcher (rightly so) and mechanically, as you put it, double switched with the guy due up last involved. I personally wouldn't have done that, but it does happen a lot. (Why I voted other and not yes or no).

The point is that the move wasn't any kind of signal that Dusty is unhappy with Dunn or that Dunn's status has changed in the eyes of management. Mechanical is probably a good word for it. Maybe not the best strategy, but reading the game thread, I have the impression that many thought that this was some indication that Dusty was unhappy with Dunn's last at bat or was looking to get him out of there and I don't think that was the case.

I would have left Dunn in, but I agree with finding a way to get multiple innings from his next pitcher.
    I didn't get the impression that Dusty was mad at Dunn.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Unfortunately, I fear this isn't the last time we'll see The Dusty double switch Dunn out of the lineup.

The double switch is The Dusty's old school bread & butter, and when the opportunity arises again, the smart money is on the The Dusty to put Dunn on the pine, again.

A double switch is not manditory. I wouldn't downgrade my offense from Dunn to Freel and leave my 3rd and 4th place hitters protected by the pitcher's slot the rest of the game just in case my 6th, 7th and 8th hitters start a rally the next inning. If you think about it, the likelyhood of the pitchers slot coming up with runners in scoring position the next inning was rather small. And even if it did happen, you could abandon your plan for Burton to go 2 innings and use your best hitter on the bench (Hatteberg) to try to get back in the game.

Nothing about that move passes the common sense test.

Turn Off Ads?