Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Did Dusty make the right decision taking Adam Dunn out of the game early?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

50 79.37%
  • Yes

10 15.87%
  • Other (explain)

3 4.76%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Second Guess the Manager Poll: Today's Topic Dunn Pulled

Re: Second Guess the Manager Poll: Today's Topic Dunn Pulled

If the primary goal was to save the bullpen, he should have let Affeldt pitch another inning. If the primary goal was to win the game then pulling Dunn was a bad move. And to top it off he was asking Burton to do something (pitch 2 innings) that he had never done before at the ML level.

The pitcher's slot was not guaranteed to even come to bat in the 6th inning. Dunn's slot WAS guaranteed to come up later in the game. How dumb would this move have looked if the Reds went down 1,2,3 in the 6th or if Burton couldn't pitch 2 innings?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Yep, pretty boneheaded move, but maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion if Fogg had turned in a solid outing. The game still hinges on solid pitching. Maybe preventing Philly from plating 8 runs would have gone a long way toward winning the game.
    I've been signing that song all along. Fogg is not a bullpen saver, just the opposite. Even on his best days he can't be expected to pitch more than 5 innings.

What was the response to the move from the call-in shows there in Cincy?

Haven't heard but I bet it's well loved, Dunn isn't clutch and would never get a big hit when the team is behind you know

The real isssue is Dusty doesn't see Dunn as the Reds best offsneive threat, if he did he wouldn't have him in the 5th slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    How many years is Dusty signed for?
    Three, get comfy.
    Go Gators!

I think it might be that Dusty views Griffey, and not Dunn, as the straw that stirs this offense.

Hopefully, it won't take long for Griffey (or Dunn) to disabuse him of that notion. In all the years Dusty had Bonds, never once did I see or hear about him removing him in the sixth behind by only 3 runs.

Well, Dust, while this team doesn't have Bonds, the next closest thing they have is Dunn. Respect that fact when making substitutions.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    What was the response to the move from the call-in shows there in Cincy?
    They think Chad Johnson should either be traded or Cincy hates him because of racism though somehow its Nancy Zimpher's fault too because she drives a Taureg but isn't as fun to fantasize about having an extramarital affair with as the local weather personalities.....

Or something like that.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Dunn pulled for a pinch runner today in the ninth. Freel replaced him.

I am still not ok with it, but at least I can understand it today.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I'll tell you what.

If this club makes the playoffs some time over the next three years, it will be a scary sight with Baker at the helm making descisions like these.

This is some frighteningly awful stuff.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I'll tell you what.

If this club makes the playoffs some time over the next three years, it will be a scary sight with Baker at the helm making descisions like these.

This is some frighteningly awful stuff.
    I really think he did it just to get Freel in the lineup. That's all I got.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?