Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlton Heston Passes Away at the Age of 84

Charlton Heston Passes Away at the Age of 84

News

Charlton Heston Passes Away at the Age of 84
    Source: Mercury Group
    April 5, 2008

Legendary actor, civil rights leader and political activist Charlton Heston passed away today, at the age of 84. He died at his home with Lydia, his wife of 64 years, at his side. Mr. Heston was loved by his two children, Fraser Clarke Heston and Holly Heston Rochell, and his three grandchildren, Jack Alexander Heston, Ridley Rochell and Charlie Rochell.

The Heston family issued the following statement:

"To his loving friends, colleagues and fans, we appreciate your heartfelt prayers and support. Charlton Heston was seen by the world as larger than life. He was known for his chiseled jaw, broad shoulders and resonating voice, and, of course, for the roles he played. Indeed, he committed himself to every role with passion, and pursued every cause with unmatched enthusiasm and integrity.

We knew him as an adoring husband, a kind and devoted father, and a gentle grandfather, with an infectious sense of humor. He served these far greater roles with tremendous faith, courage and dignity. He loved deeply, and he was deeply loved.

No one could ask for a fuller life than his. No man could have given more to his family, to his profession, and to his country. In his own words, "I have lived such a wonderful life! I've lived enough for two people."

A private memorial service will be held. The family has requested that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Motion Picture and Television Fund:

MPTF
    22212 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 300
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364
    MPTVFund.org

Heston received an Oscar for Best Actor in 1960's Ben-Hur and starred in such classics as The Ten Commandments, Planet of the Apes, Secret of the Incas, The Omega Man and Soylent Green

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Charlton Heston Passes Away at the Age of 84

There are some hollywood types that you could care less about but not Heston. He was a great actor and sounded like an even greater man.

Charlton Heston controversy
    Clooney stirred up controversy for his remarks about Charlton Heston, while speaking at during National Board of Review's event in 2003. "Charlton Heston announced again today that he is suffering from Alzheimer's."

When asked if he went too far with his remarks, Clooney responded, "I don't care. Charlton Heston is the head of the National Rifle Association; he deserves whatever anyone says about him." [42]

Heston himself commented, "It just goes to show that sometimes class does skip a generation," referring to Clooney's late aunt, Rosemary Clooney. [43]

Heston further commented on the Clooney "joke": "I don't know the man never met him, never even spoken to him, but I feel sorry for George Clooney one day he may get Alzheimer's disease. I served my country in World War II. I survived that I guess I can survive some bad words from this fellow".[44]

Clooney subsequently apologized to Heston in a letter, and received a positive response from Heston's wife.

I wonder what George has to say now?!?!

Probably the last of the great Hollywood man's man.

I just can't imagine anyone else in just about every role he played. Could you imagine Ben Hur today?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Let's not make this political. The man was one of the finest actors ever.

R.I.P.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Let's not make this political. The man was one of the finest actors ever.

R.I.P.
    Let me clarify..to me Clooney seemingly couldnt wait to make fun of a man who had just announced he had a terminal condition. Now that this condition has made Heston pass away will Clooney be the 1st to say some positive things about the man??I would hope so but time will tell. I wasn't talking the political side of this just the classless way Clooney went about it.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Clooney subsequently apologized to Heston in a letter, and received a positive response from Heston's wife.

I wonder what George has to say now?!?!
    He'd probably say "I apologized in a letter and received a positive response from Heston's wife."

I enjoyed Charlton Heston's work in the 70s, but I felt he tarnished his legacy with some of his words and deeds in the 80s and 90s. It's a shame that the younger generation will remember him more for things he did outside of Hollywood than some of his fine work in films.
    /r/reds

there is no point bringing Clooney into this thread. It is about Charlton Heston.

Let it go.

RIP Chuck.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Simply a great actor. Like Reagan, once they announced he had Alzheimer's you knew it was just a matter of time. So everyone was pretty much prepared for it.

Rest in peace Charlton. I thoroughly enjoyed your body of work.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Simply a great actor. Like Reagan, once they announced he had Alzheimer's you knew it was just a matter of time. So everyone was pretty much prepared for it.

Rest in peace Charlton. I thoroughly enjoyed your body of work.
    Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease. Both Reagan and Heston showed class when each announced his condition, but it has to be so hard, announcing your own death sentence, knowing that there is nothing you can do to prevent it, and knowing how hard it will be on those who love you and will have to care for you.
    R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Sad news. RIP, Mr. Heston.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Just saw Soylent Green for the first time the other day; awesome movie.

Great, great actor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Ever since I saw The Omega Man and Planet of The Apes he was one of my favorite actors. It's sad to hear that such a great actor is gone.
    Most Vottomatic Player

I agree, it's impossible to think of anyone but Heston in the roles he played. He made some poor script choices along the way, but I still like to see him in every movie he was ever in.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?