Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Louisville plays at 2:00. Adam Pettyjohn is starting for the Bats.

    Chattannoga plays a doubleheader beginning at 3:00. Ben Jukich and Justin Mallett are scheduled to start the two games for the Lookouts

    Dayton starts at 3:00 with lefty Andrew Bowman pitching.

    Sarasota begins at 1:00 with Daniel Guerrero pitching. I was hoping to see Travis Wood today, guess he'll go tomorrow.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-06-2008 at 11:19 AM.

  2. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,239

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Louisville plays at 2:00. Adam Pettyjohn is starting for the Bats.

    Chattannoga plays a doubleheader beginning at 3:00. Ben Jukich and Justin Mallett are scheduled to start the two games for the Lookouts

    Dayton starts at 3:00 with lefty Andrew Bowman pitching.

    Sarasota begins at 1:00 with Daniel Guerrero pitching. I was hoping to see Travis Wood today, guess he'll go tomorrow.
    Wood is the #5 guy for Sarasota. Can't wait until he goes out there because he was pitching well in the spring.

    I am pretty interested in seeing how Bowman does as well. He is an interesting guy.

  3. #3
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    I'd love to see Travis Wood have a big breakout season. Behind Matt Maloney the Reds don't have a whole lot of left handed starting pitching in the minors. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm hoping Brian Matusz somehow falls to the Reds at #7. But back to Wood, if he can return to where he was in 2006 it would be huge for the organization. Hopefully he can stay healthy because he's got the stuff to pitch in the major leagues.

  4. #4
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Sarasota trails 3-0 in the 3rd.

    Louwsma doubled for the only hit so far.

  5. #5
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Valaika singled and then Stubbs singled to drive in two. He then stolen his second base of the season.

  6. #6
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    you gotta like the start Stubbs is having right?


  7. #7
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Dayton is underway. Todd Frazier singles in his first atbat.

    Bowman threw a 1-2-3 1st inning with a K.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    14

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Louisville plays at 2:00. Adam Pettyjohn is starting for the Bats.

    Chattannoga plays a doubleheader beginning at 3:00. Ben Jukich and Justin Mallett are scheduled to start the two games for the Lookouts

    Dayton starts at 3:00 with lefty Andrew Bowman pitching.

    Sarasota begins at 1:00 with Daniel Guerrero pitching. I was hoping to see Travis Wood today, guess he'll go tomorrow.
    Chattanooga game

    after two innings no score

    Jukich gets three strickeouts in the second inning

  9. #9
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Bowman: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K

  10. #10
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,432

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Bowman: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K
    His debut was disastrous, but I really like his potential. I'm expecting big things from him. Does anyone have some information on him? I thought Baseball America was a little pessimistic about him when he was drafted (this isn't paid content).

    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2007team.php?team=CIN
    Drew Bowman entered 2004 as one of the top high school lefties in the nation, but his velocity dropped and a commitment to Arizona State clouded his signability, so he fell to the Brewers in the 21st round. He redshirted in 2005 and pitched sparingly in 2006, prompting his transfer to Nebraska. Scouts have seen him touch 93 with his lively fastball this spring, but they'd like to see more of him to know if he's legitimate. In the last seven weeks before the NCAA regionals, he made two appearances and retired just one of the seven batters he faced. Bowman's secondary pitches are inconsistent, and there are questions about his mental toughness.

  11. #11
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,432

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Why is Justin Mallett a starter? I understand that the Reds aren't exactly loaded with better options, but Mallett is, from what I hear, considered to be a non-prospect, lacks command and control, and is old for his level. Maybe Krivsky and his guys see something in Mallett that the previous regimes didn't?

  12. #12
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,083

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Why is Justin Mallett a starter? I understand that the Reds aren't exactly loaded with better options, but Mallett is, from what I hear, considered to be a non-prospect, lacks command and control, and is old for his level. Maybe Krivsky and his guys see something in Mallett that the previous regimes didn't?
    I became a fan of Mallett when he was with the dragons. He's always been a below the radar prospect, that I thought had potential to reach the majors as a reliver. He was somewhat of a late bloomer (I think he even got cut from his HS baseball team when he transferred to a new school his senior year, though perhaps the coach was just playing favorites w/ players that had been at that school longer). He caught on w/ a JC somewhere and put up decent numbers. He appeared to have a so-so fastball with a great changeup when I saw him pitch for the Dragons a couple of times. I know he was suspended at some point for violating mlb drug policies (for what I'm not sure).

    My guess is that they start him because he has the frame to handle the load, and he's not really a late innings closer, so this probably gives him more regular work in hopes that he develops into something servicable at somepoint, perhaps a long reliver type if there are a rash if injuries and they need someone to fill in. At this point is unlikely that he'll reach the majors w/ the Reds, his track was really thrown off by that suspension (I think it may have been the 50 game type), but I imagine there is still a glimmer of hope. I'm not sure how he looks now, but his change up was very, very nice when pitching for the Dragons. Plus he's always put up decent numbers at every stop along the way, well at least until the suspension, I'm not exactly sure how he did last year.

  13. #13
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,432

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I became a fan of Mallett when he was with the dragons. He's always been a below the radar prospect, that I thought had potential to reach the majors as a reliver. He was somewhat of a late bloomer (I think he even got cut from his HS baseball team when he transferred to a new school his senior year, though perhaps the coach was just playing favorites w/ players that had been at that school longer). He caught on w/ a JC somewhere and put up decent numbers. He appeared to have a so-so fastball with a great changeup when I saw him pitch for the Dragons a couple of times. I know he was suspended at some point for violating mlb drug policies (for what I'm not sure).

    My guess is that they start him because he has the frame to handle the load, and he's not really a late innings closer, so this probably gives him more regular work in hopes that he develops into something servicable at somepoint, perhaps a long reliver type if there are a rash if injuries and they need someone to fill in. At this point is unlikely that he'll reach the majors w/ the Reds, his track was really thrown off by that suspension (I think it may have been the 50 game type), but I imagine there is still a glimmer of hope. I'm not sure how he looks now, but his change up was very, very nice when pitching for the Dragons. Plus he's always put up decent numbers at every stop along the way, well at least until the suspension, I'm not exactly sure how he did last year.
    Thank you for the info; it's very informative.

  14. #14
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Jukich: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K

  15. #15
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Sunday April 6th minor league updates

    Sarasota losa 8-5 in 10 innings.

    Stubbs: 1-for-5
    Valaika: 1-for-5


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25