Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We're pretty good

Re: We're pretty good

I'm still staying with my 80 win estimate.
    I am glad they are off to a great start though.
    But I think this team will hit a couple rough patches along the road.
    The bullpen in particular, will have it's ups and downs, even though it's started off great.
    I think there will be periods when this HR based offense will vanish as well.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm still staying with my 80 win estimate.
    I am glad they are off to a great start though.
    But I think this team will hit a couple rough patches along the road.
    The bullpen in particular, will have it's ups and downs, even though it's started off great.
    I think there will be periods when this HR based offense will vanish as well.
    I think the bullpen will be better at the end of the year than it is now. If guys like Mercker or Lincoln run out of gas, we can turn to Roenicke and Bray. I'm concerned about the offense also, but we can't ignore the fact that Jay Bruce could possibly have a Ryan Braun-like impact on this offense this year. I don't think it's likely, but it can't be discounted.

Whether we go to the playoffs this year or not, this franchise is officially no longer a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think the bullpen will be better at the end of the year than it is now. If guys like Mercker or Lincoln run out of gas, we can turn to Roenicke and Bray. I'm concerned about the offense also, but we can't ignore the fact that Jay Bruce could possibly have a Ryan Braun-like impact on this offense this year. I don't think it's likely, but it can't be discounted.

Whether we go to the playoffs this year or not, this franchise is officially no longer a joke.
    I like what you're saying here. Viz. Mercker and Lincoln, you're saying "if", not "when" and it speaks to the developing depth we'll have available in the minors to fill those gaps as they happen (and they will happen at some time or another throughout the grueling season).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    A whole bunch of things can happen in the next 156 games, but for the first time in nearly a decade there's some legitimate and realistic excitement about some positive things happening in those next 156 games.
    So far, a lot of things are going right.

Harang & Arroyo are Harang & Arroyo.

Cueto & Volquez both look like they can be the real deal. I'll reserve full judgment until the league gets a chance to see them and/or tapes start circulating for hitters to look for tendencies.

Jared Burton looks like he's actually gotten BETTER since last year. He's coming into games throwing strikes and

Mike Lincoln and Kent Merker have both had good outings -- which is outstanding considering neither one threw a baseball last season (or last 4 seasons, in Lincoln's case).

Keppinger continues to put up great numbers with the stick despite being a total dumpster-dive last season.

In the immortal words of Lou Brown "It's startin' to come together..."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    Boy that 87 team was rough....

It's kinda fun to be optimistic for a change though...hopefully that same feeling is still around in July....or even next week.
    My bad, the 87 team wasn't awful, I was thinking of the 89 team
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This is the most excited I've been about the Reds organization since, well, ever since I was old enough to understand what baseball was. I was born in 1987 and this is the most talent I can ever remember the Reds having in my lifetime. The 1999 Reds were talented - they had some nice young hitters but severely lacked young starting pitching. This current squad has plenty of young talent on both offensively and on the pitching side. The two Dominican kids, Cueto and Volquez, teamed with Harang and Arroyo are going to give us a great rotation for a long time. Throw in Homer Bailey and Matt Maloney and it could only get better. On offense Dunn, EdE, Keppinger, Phillips, and Votto are all under 28 years old or younger. Throw in the best prospect in baseball in Jay Bruce and the core is there for a long time. We also have some key bullpen arms ready to break into the majors with Josh Roenicke, Bill Bray, Carlos Fisher, and Pedro Viola. This is a very exciting time in Cincinnati.
    man..I echo your exact thoughts. Right down to the year of birth!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

The Reds looked great, for the most part, last week. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't make the playoffs. Those worried about the offense should remember that the bats will heat up as the weather does. Don't worry about Adam Dunn, he'll get his 40, 100, & 100. I think Votto will be fine. He appears to be pressing some. Health is the big question mark. If they are healthy, they are the best team in the Central.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It's the last time I watched wrestling in earnest--as an undergraduate. You'd have to be a cretin not to like the Hulkster.
    Pheh. he couldn't carry Flair's jock.

woooooooooooo!
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    The Reds looked great, for the most part, last week. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't make the playoffs. Those worried about the offense should remember that the bats will heat up as the weather does. Don't worry about Adam Dunn, he'll get his 40, 100, & 100. I think Votto will be fine. He appears to be pressing some. Health is the big question mark. If they are healthy, they are the best team in the Central.
    I don't know about playoffs. I normally don't think you can take too much from one game, but, the lineup run out there today was pathetic. The Phillies kept their every day lineup on a getaway game while the reds inserted their scrubs. Anytime Castro starts a game the reds are behind the 8 ball. I don't care if Hamels is a tough lefty a guy like Votto or Hatty stands a better chance of getting a hit than Castro.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Cueto & Volquez both look like they can be the real deal. I'll reserve full judgment until the league gets a chance to see them and/or tapes start circulating for hitters to look for tendencies.
    This is a really good point. I agree that they look like they both have the stuff to be successful, but the real measure of their impact will be whether they can adjust again once the hitters adjust to them.

Anyone got an idea how long it takes for the league to "understand" a new pitcher? I suppose Danny Jackson got a 23-win season out before anyone really figured him out... right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Outside Burton(and of course Cordero) the Reds bullpen didn't look that great. Luck and its early.

Coffey still looks poor and Weathers is a ticking timebomb as are the lefties.

Beware of early season gyrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Outside Burton(and of course Cordero) the Reds bullpen didn't look that great. Luck and its early.

Lincoln and Mercker haven't been at all bad. Weathers will likely be himself, getting it done but never making it look easy. Burton and Cordero look great. Affeldt has been effective. The alternative to your view is that this might become a pretty good bullpen -don't be fooled by some of the early season problems. Seriously, the bullpen can still go either way but I don't have a single doubt that it's going to be a lot better than last year's version.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    This is a really good point. I agree that they look like they both have the stuff to be successful, but the real measure of their impact will be whether they can adjust again once the hitters adjust to them.

Anyone got an idea how long it takes for the league to "understand" a new pitcher? I suppose Danny Jackson got a 23-win season out before anyone really figured him out... right?
    In Philly's case, they had already seen him twice for extended appearances this spring, and sure didn't have a much firmer grasp on his stuff this time around. For what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post

I've actually been impressed with Coffey. His first few outings were a little rough, but he's turned it around and he appears to be fine. Affeldt has been solid, and as I mentioned in a post above, even if guys like Mercker and Lincoln can't carry the load for a full season, we have reinforcements to turn to.

This is going to sound absolutely crazy, and these words have never come up out of my mouth, but: the pitching staff is the least of my concerns right now.

Never thought I'd say that

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    This is going to sound absolutely crazy, and these words have never come up out of my mouth, but: the pitching staff is the least of my concerns right now.

Never thought I'd say that
    You have become your name - you are CINCRAZY!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?