Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Well, well, well boys...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, well, well boys...

This team has the potential to be very good this year. Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, and Volquez form a solid rotation. Fogg was a .500 pitcher before, so he will be okay and in the wings awaits Bailey. Belisle is also hanging on if Fogg falters or someone gets hurt. The pen has a legit closer and will be much, much better this year.

The offense seems to be really good. Maybe Patterson breaks out this year. Keppinger is a GOOD hitter. Griffey, Phillips, Dunn, and Encarnacion are good. Votto will hit better and if he can't, Hatteburg can for another year. I'm okay with the bench. Very worried about catcher but teams can win with defensive catchers who handle pitchers well (don't know if ours does).

If everyone is healthy on this team, this will be the best Reds teams in a while. If someone gets hurt, there are finally people to plug in. I see a very good team through my rosy colored glasses. For me...Volquez was the final piece.

Re: Well, well, well boys...

We've got potential... but it's too early to say the Reds are going to have a winning record. Excitement is good, but lets see where the Reds are in a month or two.

Saw Volquez against the Phils at ST. I was impressed that he refused to throw them the fastball they were all waiting for, he sure threw it effectively today. Went to 3 ST games, and all Kepp' did was hit, hit and hit again. Small wonder he's started the year like that. Yet, it's a long way from being able to have a clue what the year will hold. As a SI evaluator said in the kick-off issue, the Reds are the chic pick for the sleeper role this year. Sure hope it can pan out.

This team has had major issues with lefty matchups in the past, so tomorrow will be a real good test against Hamels. Let's see if anything has really changed with the offense, or if it's same-old-same-old.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    This team has had major issues with lefty matchups in the past, so tomorrow will be a real good test against Hamels. Let's see if anything has really changed with the offense, or if it's same-old-same-old.
    Hamels has made good teams already look ''same old same old'',so I wouldn't base this team on how it does versus Hamels.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I'm going with "same old same old".

What I don't get, is why putting Castro batting second isn't the answer to our Lefty hitting woes on offense?!?!

:runawaycr::runawaycr:

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I'm going with "same old same old".

What I don't get, is why putting Castro batting second isn't the answer to our Lefty hitting woes on offense?!?!

:runawaycr::runawaycr:

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Castro Plays SS... that's all that matters

I'm overjoyed just for the fact we don't have goobers like Eric Milton in the rotation constantly wearing out our bully by not making to even the 4th or 5th inning every start.
    "There have been only two geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare." Tallulah Bankhead

I think that a dominant performance from Bronson is needed for a W tomorrow. The offense will likely struggle.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Speaking of how well the Reds have looked this week, is anyone else getting the feeling that Keppinger may move to third when Gonzalez comes back?

I've got nothing to base this on but I wonder if Baker will give Gonzo the start at short because he's a proven veteran. Encarnacion's knack at throwing the ball away has got to be driving Dusty crazy so moving Keppinger (he of the .400+ BA) to third keeps a consistent RH bat in the lineup.

It's going to be interesting. I don't see how you bench a guy who's as hot as Keppinger.
    Last edited by durl; 04-07-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Especially when your 3rd baseman can't throw the ball back to the pitcher!

Arroyo has run into a buzz saw that is the Philly offense. These guys can really hit. A come back is unlikely.

I'm for sitting EE or seeing if he would bring anything in a trade. Kepp is too good. I would shop either AGon or EE and see who responds and what they offer.

I like what I see from Volquez and Cueto. We all know what we are getting with Harang. Fogg is terrible and I really dislike Arroyo....especially with the lineup we had today. If we are going to start Fogg or Arroyo then we better have a lineup that can put up some runs if we plan to compete.

At this point it is going to be very difficult to bench Jeff Keppinger for Alex Gonzalez...and if we do, it will be hard to keep Edwin in there (as much as I sincerely like Edwin.)

The bullpen is going to still be the biggest question mark this year...while I do believe we have made some improvements, I think we are still a ways off. I hope I am wrong. Overall, I think we will be okay this year. At least we have 3, maybe 4 solid staters and we will at least be competing after the All-Star break which is a good thing.

Turn Off Ads?