Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Thoughts Today From Section 519

My Thoughts Today From Section 519

Jeff Keppinger is a very solid infielder. He should get the bulk of the time at first base after A-Go is healthy and Votto (time to go to Japan) goes to AAA.

Brandon Phillips may become better than Joe Morgan.

Griffey's HR was vintage Griffey -- a laser beam with a little bit of a hook at the end.

Dusty Baker knows how to manage a bullpen.

Corey Patterson could be an all-star this year.

Edinson Volquez throws gas, however he will have his struggles this year at times with command.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My Thoughts Today From Section 519

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Jeff Keppinger is a very solid infielder. He should get the bulk of the time at shortstop after A-Go is healthy
    fixed

serious amount of hyperbole in there.

You honestly think Votto should go to Japan? Seriously?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Votto's not a great fielding first baseman. Then again, neither is the Mad Hatteberg.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Jeff Keppinger is a very solid infielder. He should get the bulk of the time at first base after A-Go is healthy and Votto (time to go to Japan) goes to AAA.

Brandon Phillips may become better than Joe Morgan.

Griffey's HR was vintage Griffey -- a laser beam with a little bit of a hook at the end.

Dusty Baker knows how to manage a bullpen.

Corey Patterson could be an all-star this year.

Edinson Volquez throws gas, however he will have his struggles this year at times with command.
    I was one section over in 520!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

When I think of players who will have had better careers than Joe Morgan's, I think of Alex Rodriguez, Vladimir Guerrero, Albert Pujols, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield, Ken Griffey, Jr., and maybe some others like Jim Thome, Mark Teixeira, David Wright, Joe Mauer, Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun, Brian McCann, and Grady Sizemore. However, when it's all said and done, I'd be absolutely shocked if Brandon Phillips were anywhere near the level of Joe Morgan.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    However, when it's all said and done, I'd be absolutely shocked if Brandon Phillips were anywhere near the level of Joe Morgan.
    I honestly wouldn't. His season last year was better than any one season Morgan ever had.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I honestly wouldn't. His season last year was better than any one season Morgan ever had.
    Joe Morgan's 1976 MVP season:

.320/.444/.576/1.020 with 27 HR, 30 2B, 111 RBI, 60 SB and 187 OPS+. I highly doubt Phillips ever sniffs a season like that.
    Last edited by Screwball; 04-06-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added OPS+

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Every one of Morgan's six seasons from 1972 to 1977 was better than Phillips' 2007.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Okay, but you also have to look at the team around Morgan as well.

Morgan OPSed 1020 in 76, was league MVP and with a 444 OBP. I believe it was James that had it, when adjusted for era/park effects was one of the top 10 offensive season in the history of baseball

Come on, sava. Please tell us all you were kidding.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Come on, sava. Please tell us all you were kidding.
    Okay, I was kidding. Or at the very least, I was quite wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    When I think of players who will have had better careers than Joe Morgan's, I think of Alex Rodriguez, Vladimir Guerrero, Albert Pujols, Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield, Ken Griffey, Jr., and maybe some others like Jim Thome, Mark Teixeira, David Wright, Joe Mauer, Hanley Ramirez, Ryan Braun, Brian McCann, and Grady Sizemore. However, when it's all said and done, I'd be absolutely shocked if Brandon Phillips were anywhere near the level of Joe Morgan.
    I don't think Sheffield has had a better career than Morgan all around, and McCann and probably even Sizemore is probably a stretch at this point. Joe Morgan is one of the top 5 second basemen in big league history. You don't stumble across those all that often, whereas an outfielder like Sizemore comes along quite often.

Methinks some people in this thread aren't really grasping just how great a player Joe Morgan really was.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?