Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Thoughts Today From Section 519

Re: My Thoughts Today From Section 519

Brandon Phillips may become better than Joe Morgan.
    At announcing?

Maybe

At sabermetric study?

Perhaps

Playing baseball??

Not close.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Another thing that stood out when I looked at those numbers was Morgan's K and BB numbers. The guy still hit for power and average and drew a lot more walks than Phillips would ever dream of. Phillips is good, but if they were both the same age today, I'd take Morgan hands down. I know one thing. I'd take his playing career over his announcing career any day.

Hey sava, if nothing else you've given us all the opportunity to discuss the greatness of Joe Morgan and that needs to be done every so often, lest we forget. So for that, we're all thankful.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    .990 fielding % (last year) makes him top 5 in the league. I'd love to see your stats to back that statement up.

Phillips is superior to Utley defensively, but it's not by as big of a margin as you'd think and saying he "isn't even a decent 2B" is ludacrous.
    Fielding percentage is teh suck. And it is completely worthless at 2b.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    They are buying into "DustyBall", I predicted that Castro would stay at Votto's expense, when Gonzalez comes back. I hate every ounce of that prediction, but who doesn't see it coming?
    There were also plenty of folks who were certain that Castro would be starting in Gonzalez' absence. Didn't happen. Castro is still on the roster for one reason -- to be the backup middle infielder -- and he's barely played, which suggests he's hardly essential to DustyBall. Once Gonzalez returns, Castro has no role on this team.

The Reds seem to be trying to do right by veteran fringe players, so the question becomes, would Castro accept an outright assignment to Louisville (the Reds probably wouldn't mind stashing him as an injury contingency) or would he ask to be released so he could try and catch on somewhere else? I'm just guessing he won't retire since he has a guaranteed deal for this year.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Fielding percentage is teh suck. And it is completely worthless at 2b.
    Okay, well I'd love to see your defensive metrics studies to prove that Utley is below average. The guy has good range and if you're unable to see that, that's unfortunate for you.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 04-07-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    They are buying into "DustyBall", I predicted that Castro would stay at Votto's expense, when Gonzalez comes back. I hate every ounce of that prediction, but who doesn't see it coming?
    If Votto gets sent out when AGon comes back it's not Castro doing it. It's Votto's poor play that earned the demotion. Dusty can't give Votto and indefinite amount of time in the majors to get it together. He may have to say "we need some production out of 1B, go find your stroke in AAA."

Okay, well I'd love to your defensive metrics studies to prove that Utley is below average. The guy has good range and if you're unable to see that, that's unfortunate for you.
    Not in my opinion. Defense is subjective. I'm not going to say it's unfortunate because you disagree with me. Even though it is

Hatteberg is doiing worse than Votto is. There is no reason to send Votto down, just yet.

Not in my opinion. Defense is subjective. I'm not going to say it's unfortunate because you disagree with me. Even though it is
    It's subjective to a point, but you should still have some information to back up your claim, particularly if you're disputing the validity of fielding percentage.

It's subjective to a point, but you should still have some information to back up your claim, particularly if you're disputing the validity of fielding percentage.
    Questioning the validity of fielding percentage's as a measurement of fielding prowess requires very little. Look no further than Ken Griffey Jr. if you want proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Questioning the validity of fielding percentage's as a measurement of fielding prowess requires very little. Look no further than Ken Griffey Jr. if you want proof of that.
    I'm not saying it's the end all be all (because there are some obvious holes), but Utley is a good defender and if you're going to say he's not, you should be able to back it up with some kind of information.

I'm not saying it's the end all be all (because there are some obvious holes), but Utley is a good defender and if you're going to say he's not, you should be able to back it up with some kind of information.
    Defensive metrics are terrible. Sorry but baseball and particularly defense is still about forming an opinion from watching the game. I'm not against you and others disagreeing with me. Makes the game fun.

Defensive metrics are terrible. Sorry but baseball and particularly defense is still about forming an opinion from watching the game. I'm not against you and others disagreeing with me. Makes the game fun.

I think if your just going to go the scout route (which IMO is fine) you need to make specific points of where Utley fails as a fielder. You can't just say 'lack of range' and expect to get anywhere in a discussion about fielding.

I've always considered Utley to be an underrated fielder, so I'd like to hear your specific thoughts on where Utley's biggest weak points are.

I think Utley is a fine defender. Dunno if I'd say he's equal to or better than Phillips defensively, but a number of systems like him. He passes the eye test too, imo.

I think fielding percentage is about as useless a stat as is out there, at least when it comes to measuring defensive contributions of individual players.

Turn Off Ads?