Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My Thoughts Today From Section 519

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: My Thoughts Today From Section 519

I think both Votto and Hatte are serviceable, and sometimes excellent, fielders at 1st base. I saw Hatte pick up a grass cutter with a back handed stab to his right, come to his knees, and throw out the runner at first...looked great!

I've seen Votto instinctively pick off enough liners to make me wonder how he'd play at 3rd base. Just a few days ago, I saw Bako catch a sleeping Orlando Hudson on a quick pickoff after the pitch, which he absolutely sizzled down to first. Votto caught the ball on his left (both he and Hatte throw right-handed) and drop flat to his back while applying a seemingly blind sweep tag to the runner, now above his head. Fantastic throw, fantastic tag.

Also, I think both guys have proven over a longer period of time than the first week, that they CAN hit Major League pitching. Maybe they won't come around, but I'm guessing they will. Part of the problem may be that neither of them can get enough time on the field to get into a groove.

None of this takes away from Kepp, though. I agree he's a great hitter and solid fielder and needs to play every day. I think he can do that SuperSubbing.

The rest of the subjects have been piled on enough, I think. Let me just say thanks Hap for sharing your views. I appreciate a first person account of the action.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think fp is a good metric in that, although it doesn't look at range, it does suggest if the fielder has a clunker for a glove. I don't think it can be completely ignored.

But how do you measure a fielder's ability with a number? How would you rate EE this year? 2 errors, but the first one could have happened to anyone playing 3B that day. Wet conditions, and the ball just squirted out of his hands. I'm just not sure how you quantify defense over the course of the season, when errors alone are a subjective stat. Why is the fielder given an error on a one hop throw to the 1B, if just reaching the ball was amazing enough? If the 1B puts any glove at all on the ball, he should be charged with the error. If the fielder is charging the ball and misses it completgely, no error, but if it nicks his glove, error. And how do we determine what a chance is?

I know there are new defensive metrics, but how do they break down an individual performance with unique conditions? light rain, snow in some cases, games starting at dusk, huge shadows on the field. Do these metrics also take into account the type of pitcher on the mound?

I'm asking because I want to know.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I think Utley is a fine defender. Dunno if I'd say he's equal to or better than Phillips defensively, but a number of systems like him. He passes the eye test too, imo.

I think fielding percentage is about as useless a stat as is out there, at least when it comes to measuring defensive contributions of individual players.
    I agree with you on this, I just wasn't seeing eye to eye with Cedric and had hoped he would provide a sound argument as to why he thinks what he does, that's all.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Neither Utley nor Phillips can hold a candle to Hudson defensively at 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Neither Utley nor Phillips can hold a candle to Hudson defensively at 2B.
    The Fielding Bible begs to differ, at least as far as Utley is concerned. Their plus/minus for 2007:

Utley: +22
    Hudson: +20
    Phillips: +11

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    The Fielding Bible begs to differ, at least as far as Utley is concerned. Their plus/minus for 2007:

Utley: +22
    Hudson: +20
    Phillips: +11
    Interesting. Very interesting, actually.

I thought Utley was above average defensively, but not in Hudson's league. This shows otherwise.

I would say that Utley doesn't have the range of Hudson, but they could easily be equal in terms of hands and skills around the bag.

Phillips is no slouch, and it wouldn't surprise me if he won some GGs down the road, but I still put Hudson and Utley ahead of him, in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Jeff Keppinger is a very solid infielder. He should get the bulk of the time at first base after A-Go is healthy and Votto (time to go to Japan) goes to AAA.

Brandon Phillips may become better than Joe Morgan.

Griffey's HR was vintage Griffey -- a laser beam with a little bit of a hook at the end.

Dusty Baker knows how to manage a bullpen.

Corey Patterson could be an all-star this year.

Edinson Volquez throws gas, however he will have his struggles this year at times with command.
    I really don't know what to say, or even how to address some of these. The Votto to Japan has really thrown me.

We've just finished the first week of the new season. A lot of players start out slow. It should mean very little to most.

Dunn is 3 fer 21 .143 BA .333 OB% .143 SLG%

Encarnacion is 2 fer 20, batting .100

Overall, this team, other then Keppinger, isn't really hitting as of yet in the early stages of this season. And yet we're 4-3.

Give it time before we start to worry.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-07-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?