Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Encarnacion "lost"

Encarnacion "lost"

So I keep hearing and reading that EE is lost at the plate right now. He's hitting .125

I haven't heard or read a thing that says Dunn is lost at the plate. He's hitting .176

EE has 8 BB's so far this young season for a very good .417 OBP. Dunn is being Dunn and has walked 6 times giving him a .391 OBP.

So, why is EE lost and not Dunn? Easy, EE seems to be the whipping boy. A personal favorite of Brantley's, and Marty seems to have jumped ship from Dunn to EE as well. Kinda sad that they need to tear down good young players. The hits will fall for Edwin. That he's not expanding his strikezone and reaching for balls he can't hit is a good thing. And I'll take that .417 OBP all year long thank you.
    Last edited by TRF; 04-07-2008 at 12:08 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Encarnacion "lost"

good post

I think they will both be fine. Dunn has hit some balls hard, but right at someone. Take Sunday for example. Who has said EE is lost? Marty?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Edwin is expanding his strikezone though, he has chased quite a few low outside breaking pitches that sent him back to the dugout. He is doing a great job getting on base, especially considering he is not hitting the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I think they will both be fine. Dunn has hit some balls hard, but right at someone. Take Sunday for example. Who has said EE is lost? Marty?
    I've read it a lot in the game threads. Brantley has a well documented anti-EE bias going on (he is NOT clutch). I haven't heard Marty yet this year, but heard him a number of times last year. So I can't say for sure that Marty is doing it.

But a lot of Redzoner's are. And that is a very large sample of fans with a variety of opinions and different knowledge levels.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I've read it a lot in the game threads. Brantley has a well documented anti-EE bias going on (he is NOT clutch). I haven't heard Marty yet this year, but heard him a number of times last year. So I can't say for sure that Marty is doing it.

But a lot of Redzoner's are. And that is a very large sample of fans with a variety of opinions and different knowledge levels.
    Marty was pretty honked off with EE's attempt at bunting saying how clueless he looked. I thought I heard him say to Thom yesterday that the walks are a plus for EE thus far this season, but maybe I'm "misremembering".
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

If you watch EE closely, it looks like he's guessing a lot and perhaps, perhaps he's not seeing the ball too well.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If you watch EE closely, it looks like he's guessing a lot and perhaps, perhaps he's not seeing the ball too well.
    I was joking about EE to some friends that EE has old-man skills at the plate. Any chance he's really 42?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

So, why is EE lost and not Dunn?
    Because for the first time in his career Edwin looks tentative at the plate. He pulls off of pitches he should be swinging at and has been swinging at ...well pitches that would make Vlad blush. It's not Edwin's results that have me concerned, it's how it looks. One of the first thing you noticed watching Edwin in the past was that he came up to the plate with an idea or two in his head about what he was trying to do. I just don't see that now.

Dunn, on the other hand, doesn't look tentative at all. He's just not making contact and we've seen that out of Adam before.

Easy, EE seems to be the whipping boy.
    huh. whatever.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I think currently EE walks more because of who is behind him, which is good because sometimes he does look lost so far.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    huh. whatever.
    Jeff Brantley says hi.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I mentioned this in another thread, but It seems EE has a problem with pitch recognition, especially with breaking stuff. Luckily, he's more patient than most and so his walks help offset it, but we all saw it in the bunt-HR at bat. He flailed at that curve over the plate, falling back as he tried to bunt. He lunges at sliders and curves way off the plate and steps in the bucket on breaking stuff over the plate, rolling over on it when he makes contact.

Has this been his bugaboo historically? Could it be a vision thing? What's the prescription? I'd love to see him bat 2nd for a while, pushing Keppinger up to leadoff and CPat down to 6 or 7. Ask him to focus on contact, take advantage of those walks, and maybe get an extra fastball or two per game.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It's more a matter of watching here than looking at the stat sheet. My perception from watching EE is that he looks extremely uncomfortable at the plate. He's consistently off-balance and not even getting good cuts on the ball. To me, that's how you can tell if a hitter is truly a little lost or if it's an anomlay, by looking at how many good cuts they're getting.

Dunn doesn't look great at the plate, but his ABs look markedly different in my perception. He's getting good swings on the ball, but just isn't quite connecting yet. Also, yesterday in Dunn's first two ABs, he hit the ball right on the screws. The first one was hit right to the 1B who caught it for an out. The next one he drilled right back at the pitcher who knocked it down and then made the play at first. His next AB he hit a line drive up the middle for an RBI single. So he's actually hit some balls hard.

Again, the two hitters just look different. EE doesn't look great in his ABs right now. The good news is, he's not swinging at a lot of bad pitches, hence the walks. That's a good sign. That means he'll most likely figure it out at some point. But looking at the stat sheet for one week's worth of ABs isn't a very helpful exercise.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It would be nice if both of them weren't not-hitting at the same time though. Of course they'll carry the team when they get hot.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    It would be nice if both of them weren't not-hitting at the same time though. Of course they'll carry the team when they get hot.
    But the point is that Dunn IS hitting, he's just not getting hits. There is a difference.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?