Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A quartet of third basemen

A quartet of third basemen

A quartet of third basemen
    A look at the Reds' top-30 prospects
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds have good depth at third base in the lower levels of the minor leagues. A look at the top-30 prospects, as rated by Baseball America, who could end up as big league third basemen:

8. TODD FRAZIER

How acquired: Supplemental first-round pick in 2007, out of Rutgers.

Last year: Combined to hit .319 with seven home runs and 30 RBI in 47 games at Billings and Dayton.

What player development director Terry Reynolds says: "He's going to start at shortstop in Dayton. I think he surprised everybody here in camp with how well he's handled shortstop. He's one of those guys when you see him, you think third base. He's a big strong guy. He plays with great instincts. He's got enough arm to play short. Whether he'll move somewhere down the line is anybody's guess."

9. JUAN FRANCISCO

How acquired: Signed as a non-drafted free agent in 2004.

Last year: Hit .268 with 25 homers, 90 RBI, 161 strikeouts and 23 walks at Dayton.

What Reynolds says: "Juan will open the season as the starting third baseman at Sarasota. He hit 25 home runs in the Midwest League last year. He's a free swinger who has above-average power and an above-average throwing arm."

22. ADAM ROSALES

How acquired: 12th-round draft pick in 2005, out of Western Michigan.

Last year: Combined to hit .286 with 41 doubles, 11 triples, 18 home runs, 13 steals and 79 RBI at Sarasota and Chattanooga.

What Reynolds says: "He's a shortstop by trade. He had arm problems. In order to protect him, we moved him to first. As the season progressed, as his arm got better, we got him over on the other side of the diamond at third. His biggest asset now is his versatility. He can play anywhere in the infield. He can go play in the outfield. If there's a guy with better makeup, I don't know where he is. This guy plays full out all the time."

23. BRANDON WARING

How acquired: Seventh-round draft pick in 2007, out of Wofford.

Last year: Hit .311 with 20 home runs and 61 RBI in 68 games at Billings.

What Reynolds says: "I don't think anyone knew when we got him what to expect. He's been a great surprise - great body, led the Pioneer League in home runs, went to Dayton due to circumstances at the end of the season. He'll probably start at Dayton. Everything about him has been good so far. He works his butt off. ... He's got the tools for the position."

--John Fay

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/303280108

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A quartet of third basemen

I think Rosales will make a great pro, not a superstar but he will be very very good. Waring IMO will be the surprise of our system this year and I would love to see him be given the opportunity to see what true level he belongs at this year, if he has 10 homers by May 1st move him up and keep moving him until he reaches his level, thats all Im saying.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I think Rosales will make a great pro, not a superstar but he will be very very good. Waring IMO will be the surprise of our system this year and I would love to see him be given the opportunity to see what true level he belongs at this year, if he has 10 homers by May 1st move him up and keep moving him until he reaches his level, thats all Im saying.

Therein lies the problem though, what if on May first Juan Francisco is hitting .290 with 6 home runs in Sarasota?

Maybe someone moves to 1st or the outfield, when we were all kids we brought all our gloves with us right???

you don't move a guy off his position till he proves he can't play it or he reaches the bigs and needs a spot to play cause of his bat. imo.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Wow! As problems go, this is a pretty nice one. As my Daddy always said, "Let's cross that bridge when we come to it."

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Frazier and Rosales are major leaguers waiting to happen. They just need to get through the steps and I believe they'll be in Cincy. Frazier is a starter and probably the first position prospect after Bruce. Rosales isn't, to me, as sure to be a starter and may end a sub but if so, a very good one. Waring needs better discipline and like Francisco, needs to prove to me he can hit when the pitchers get better and off speed stuff becomes de rigeur. I'd rank the latter two as really good possibilities but with major learning ahead before they enter the "sure to be a big leaguer" category. And as for advancement beiong a problem it's also an advantage -less likely to rush these guys ahead of pace because they both push each other but allow the system to be patient at he same time.

Rosales could form a great platoon at first base with Joey Votto. Votto against RHP and Rosales against the lefties, and in the meantime it strengthens the Reds bench.

Turn Off Ads?