Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Do you do this trade?

Do you do this trade?

I've been trying to get Johnny Cueto in my fantasy league, and one of my friends offered me this deal:

Johnny Cueto and Alex Rios

for

Ryan Braun

This is my lineup:

C Ivan Rodriguez
    1B Mark Teixeira
    2B Robinson Cano
    SS Hanley Ramirez
    3B Ryan Braun
    OF Ken Griffey Jr.
    OF Josh Hamilton
    OF Vernon Wells
    Util Edwin Encarnacion
    BN Corey Patterson
    BN Mark Reynolds

SP Aaron Harang
    SP Josh Beckett
    P Ian Snell
    P Jeff Francis
    P Edinson Volquez
    RP Billy Wagner
    RP Manny Corpas
    BN Francisco Liriano
    BN Hideki Okajima

I'm worried about giving up Braun because I sacrifice a lot of power, and giving up so much for Cueto after one good outing seems like a big gamble to take, so I'm leading towards rejecting the trade right now. What do you guys think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you do this trade?

Cueto is good, and should be very solid this season. However, he is not worth buying so high right now. Ryan Braun is a top 15 player and Rios is good, but not worth Braun, even with Cueto.

Rookie pitchers very rarely pitch dominate the whole season. Your pitching staff should be fine as long as Liriano (who I have in 3 leagues) comes back and pitches decent.

I'd pass right now.

NO

Cueto is WAY too risky at this moment.

No, but I'd work to swing a better deal if possible. He obviously knows you want Cueto, and your team is way to Reds heavy. Why have Patterson on the bench? Unless this is a Reds fan league, I'm not sure there are going to be many out there clamoring to pick up Encarnacion at this point, you could drop him to pick up something more useful until/if EE puts things together. Right now he looks like he's headed to a bad fantasy month.

As stated already, the risk outweighs the reward.

Not a chance
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    No, but I'd work to swing a better deal if possible. He obviously knows you want Cueto, and your team is way to Reds heavy. Why have Patterson on the bench? Unless this is a Reds fan league, I'm not sure there are going to be many out there clamoring to pick up Encarnacion at this point, you could drop him to pick up something more useful until/if EE puts things together. Right now he looks like he's headed to a bad fantasy month.
    I really picked up Patterson because I needed steals, but I haven't really given him any playing time so I guess I should drop him. I've been starting Reynolds over Encarnacion recently.

I like this deal a bit more than some of the other posters. You have Reynolds and EdE to play at 3B if you trade Braun, and Rios will give you power and speed from the OF, so you can drop Patterson. I expect Cueto to put up around a 4.00 ERA with good K's this season--a bit like Lincecum last year with the Giants. I also don't think Braun can repeat his number from last year and figure he will not be a top-15 player at this time next season.

That said, I still think you can make the argument that Braun is worth more right now. And for that reason alone, you should continue negotiations with an eye towards getting the most in return while a player is at peak value. Don't pull the trigger yet, but continue talks. You might be able to get your man (Cueto), plus much more than Rios for Braun.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?