• Tiger

20 62.50%
  • The Field

12 37.50%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Tiger or the field?

Re: Tiger or the field?

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    The stats may suggest otherwise, but I would take the 20% at The Open. He's just as good in the wind on the links as he is anywhere else.
    And thats fine. I was just illustrating that despite how good Tiger was last year...at the British Open there were 18 golfers that were equal to or in most cases, better than him.

Also realize I gave him a 100 percent chance of winning the PGA Championship which of all my numbers is the most unreasonable.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I love what I've seen from Immelman this week both on and off the course. I'm going to go on record as saying that he's going to win at least 2 more majors in the next 2-3 years. I think he's going to emerge as one of the top 5 players in the world. I think him and Geoff Ogilvy are going to consisently challenge Tiger in a way we were all hoping Mickelson, Sergio, Vijay, Goosen, etc... would. Tiger's still going to win the most, but I think we're going to see a few players emerge who can run with Tiger. At least that's what I'm hoping. And I didn't say this about Zach Johnson or Angel Cabrera, or Padraig Harrington. Immelman seems different. I think this is just the beginning for him.
    I'm not so sure about Trevor Immelman consistently challenging Tiger within the next 2-3 years.

Yesterday Immelman actually said one of the reasons he didn't take one peek at the leaderboard during the final round was b/c he was "deathly afraid of Tiger". He didn't want to see if Tiger was making a move. He didn't want to know how many strokes he had on the field. A golfer admitting they have a large fear of the best player in the world doesn't easily equate to "will consistently Tiger" IMO. I hope Immelman does. Hell, I hope anyone does, b/c it would be great for Tiger to have a consistent competitive rival, but if Immelman is afraid of Tiger, I don't like Immelman's odds to be that rival.

Trevor is a solid player with a great swing ... having said that it is really hard to win majors. Great players like Els, Singh and Mickelson have only three. Tiger just makes it look too easy at times.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It's a shame that we was off because it could've been one heck of a finish. Somedays you just don't have it no matter what the situation. Usually, Tiger rises to the occasion on Sundays, but he was just off yesterday.

His driver swing was actually decent yesterday and this week. He gets into trouble when his feet are aimed down the right side of the fairway and his shoulders are aimed down the left. That's when he hits those low pulls and high rights. When he's square he drives it much better.

There were some key swings/shots that got him yesterday. And this isn't counting is shody putting. Here are 3 that stick out to me:

#8: He had a 60 yard wedge shot and was planning to drive it low and skip it back there. My favorite wedge shot. Then, he seemed to change his mind and added a little extra finish while cupping his follow-thru...which equals a lot more spin. Well, wouldn't you know, he left the shot 25-feet short. And the shot was into the wind. I have no idea why he added the extra spin to that shot. For him, a bad shot there should've been about 10 feet away. Parring that hole really seemed to take some momentum away from him.

#10: His 3 wood off the tee was in the fairway, but very short. His shoulders were slightly open at address; therefore, he was stuck and started the ball about 15 yards right of his line. The shot was weak and didn't get any roll. Hence, he had 216 from a steep downslope which led to bogey. A decent swing there and he probably would've made a par.

#13: Dido. Same swing as #10 which caused him to drive it through the fairway instead of turning it around the corner. Yes, he should've still made birdie, but I guarantee you if he hit the green in 2 he would've made a birdie.

Those 3 shots weren't the reason Tiger didn't win, but they sure didn't help. He just made a lot more errors than he normally makes and his putting was absolutely putrid. I haven't seen Tiger putt that poorly in a long, long time.

What's amazing is Tiger played pretty bad for his standards, and still came in second.

I'm very happy Trevor won. I've been telling people for a couple of years that he has my favorite, and IMO the best, swing on tour. I'm glad he's getting some recognition now. If he stays healthy, and I really hope he does, he'll be a very good player for years to come.
    Off the top of my head, it seemed Tiger hit his 3 metal like garbage all week. You're absolutely right that he hit his driver very well this week, and I'm surprised he didn't hit more stinger drives, or bunt drives. With his length, and him struggling with the 3 metal, I would have thought he might have kept the 3 metal in the bag and shortened up on the driver. But he didn't.

I was also surprised by his seemingly erratic distance and spin control with his wedges. Tiger knows Augusta National probably the best since Jack, and he looked like a younger version of himself who lacked consistent distance control with his scoring clubs.

Turn Off Ads?