Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jim Callis (BA) regarding the Reds draft

Jim Callis (BA) regarding the Reds draft

By the way, the Reds have the seventh pick, and BA's Jim Callis thinks they'll go for a pitcher. He names Shooter Hunt, Tanner Scheppers, and Tim Melville as the main candidates.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/265874.html
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jim Callis (BA) regarding the Reds draft

Shooter, now thats a pitchers name.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Shooter, now thats a pitchers name.
    We could have a staff with Shooter and Homer? Aaron, Johnny, Edinson, Homer, and Shooter. I like it!
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-07-2008 at 04:42 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

We're seriously devoid of good nicknames in the organization, from top to bottom.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    We could have a staff with Shooter and Homer? Aaron, Johnny, Edinson, Homer, and Shooter. I like it!
    Better yet, we could have a Shooter and a Hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Better yet, we could have a Shooter and a Hopper.

Nice catch!
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Crow, Matusz, Melville, Hunt, Scheppers -I'd be thrilled with any one of them. Personally, I like Scheppers. College righty, late to pitching (converted from SS) without a lot of HS wear on his arm who's gotten better and better and hits high 90s on occasion. I'm figuring Crow and Matusz will likely be gone and possibly Melville. Melville is a HSer and not obviously better than the college guys so why take that risk at #7 when Schepers gives you a "young" arm with a more mature head.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Mark me down for Shooter. I want a pitcher who will contribute some time within the Reds' window to compete and Tim Melville is still way too far away and Tanner Scheppers had an ERA of 4.74 last year in the WAC and a 9.00 ERA the year before. If it is between these three, the only one I would consider is Shooter.

My only concern is Shooter Hunt has walked 27 batters in 44.1 innings.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My only concern is Shooter Hunt has walked 27 batters in 44.1 innings.
    True, but 58 Ks in 44.1 innings pitched is absolutely disgusting. Oh, and for all of those fans of traditional stats, how about a 5 and 0 record with a 1.02 ERA. He seems like he would fit well into the Reds' window to compete.

I tried to find a scouting report on him but was unsuccessful. Anyone know what type of pitches he throws or his velocity?

Didn't look hard enough I guess. I just found this report on him along with a video. Look who they compare him to:

Physical Description - Tall, wiry, proportioned body with decent projection. Looks thinner than his listed weight. Thin legs, long lower half with room to grow. Looks very, very young. Very strong, and a complete, all-around athlete. Looks like Jensen Lewis.

Fastball - True power arm, fastball sits at 92-94, touches 96. Attacks hitters with heat and loves to work inside. Knocks hitters down to setup the outer half. Command of the fastball comes and goes, very, very inconsistent. The command is a major concern. Fastball moves late and hard in on righties, breaks a lot of bats. Enough movement to cause his control problems. Electric fastball.

Curveball - Hammer curveball at 78-82 MPH, seems to spot this pitch better than any other. Doesn’t throw many bad ones and works it on both sides of the plate. Plus pitch. Breaks late and just drops off the table. 12-6 break with tight, hard spin. Great feel for this pitch and throws it with conviction. Big swing and miss pitch, just needs to stay ahead in the count to use it. Still some issues with his command of this pitch.

Changeup - Power changeup, throws at 84-87 MPH. Very straight with very little movement or action. True straight changeup, and is surprisingly very effective with hitters sitting on his heat. Definitely his third pitch and doesn’t use much. When he uses it he shows a decent feel, its a fringy pitch but a good change of pace.

Mechanics - High leg kick, throws right over the top. A little big herky jerky and can get out of sync in a hurry. Smooth, very quick arm action but will need to tighten up the rest of his mechanics. Has trouble repeating his delivery, perhaps should trying simplifying his delivery. Too many moving parts. Shoulders flies open occassionally. Delivery is very similar to Mark Melancon.

Notes - Power pitcher but struggles with command in spurts. Sometimes spots his pitches as well as anyone but can fall out of his groove incredibly quickly. Lots of walks, lots of strikeouts. When on, he’s got frontline potential. Plus makeup, plays to win, great competitive attitude. Must learn to pitch, not throw. Huge upside.

Adjusted Overall Future Potential: 60

Present Group: P, Future Group: A-

Projected Role: #2 starter

Draft Projection: Picks 10-20

Overall Comparison: Homer Bailey (with rougher mechanics)

http://saberscouting.com/2008/03/22/...hooter-hunter/

The video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdA42...hooter-hunter/

Hunt sounds interesting. Sort of a Bailey-lite ability. But older and maybe about ready to put it all together?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Mark me down for Shooter. I want a pitcher who will contribute some time within the Reds' window to compete and Tim Melville is still way too far away and Tanner Scheppers had an ERA of 4.74 last year in the WAC and a 9.00 ERA the year before. If it is between these three, the only one I would consider is Shooter.
    Yep but Scheppers just started pitching in college. He's going to be farther away than Hunt, not as far as Melville. I like his arm better.

Turn Off Ads?