Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carlos Guevara

Re: Carlos Guevara

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Despite the efforts to prevent abuse of the Rule V draft, allowing teams two seasons to satisfy the 90 days stipulation seems to leave plenty of room for abuse. Put a guy on the DL for 5 months one year and 4 months the next, and you still satisfy the 90-day requirement.

I'd rather see the rule amended such that the 90-days must be fulfilled in one season, or the player has to be returned to the original team.
    I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't that rule essentially give a team two years to look at a player before deciding whether to send him back or not? Or am I reading that incorrectly?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Despite the efforts to prevent abuse of the Rule V draft, allowing teams two seasons to satisfy the 90 days stipulation seems to leave plenty of room for abuse. Put a guy on the DL for 5 months one year and 4 months the next, and you still satisfy the 90-day requirement.

I'd rather see the rule amended such that the 90-days must be fulfilled in one season, or the player has to be returned to the original team.
    but the team has to pay more major league salary, the player gets little development time at a crucial developmental period in his career, and yet the player gets much closer to arbitration. And even the best of these players rarely gets good in his pre-arbitration years.

you can worry about Rule 5 abuses if you'd like-- the price per claim really should be higher, because it hasn't changed in 30 years-- but IMO there are better things to get miffed about.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    25 man, not 40 man.

and it's true that he can be active for 30 days at end of 2008, then for 60 days in 2009, after which the team can option him to the minors.
    Princeton, I'm late getting back to the conversation. Thanks for correcting my mistake. I knew it's the 25 man, just typed the wrong one!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Welcome to the bigs Guevara! First outing on Monday was great, 2 Ks in 1 inning of work. Second outing Tuesday, gave up a double to Aramis Ramirez but got out of the inning, but the second inning of work he gave up a single to Cedeno, walk to Theriot, then Soriano gives his welcome with a 3 run HR in Petco Park.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Before his San Diego call up, he also pitched in 5 'rehab' games in AAA Portland:

6 innings pitched, 2 hits, 1 BB, 5 Ks, 0 runs allowed. His full stats are HERE.

I'm guessing San Diego will be able to keep him on their roster.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Better or worse than Herrara?

That's pretty much what it boils down to and the Reds weren't going to keep both.

I suppose he could have had some trade value, but given that enough teams passed on him to get to SD makes me doubt he had a ton of that.

Wtbs, Good luck to ya Carlos, I hope your stay in the majors is long and fortuitous.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Better or worse than Herrara?

That's pretty much what it boils down to and the Reds weren't going to keep both.

I suppose he could have had some trade value, but given that enough teams passed on him to get to SD makes me doubt he had a ton of that.

Wtbs, Good luck to ya Carlos, I hope your stay in the majors is long and fortuitous.
    Better and likely closer to the majors too, though their debuts were close, Guevara is still pitching with SD and Herrera is back with L'ville. Krivsky traded for something he already had. He did that a lot.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Better and likely closer to the majors too, though their debuts were close, Guevara is still pitching with SD and Herrera is back with L'ville. Krivsky traded for something he already had. He did that a lot.
    That's not really a fair comparison though. Maybe he'd still be up with SD if it wasn't required to keep him in the organization. If it was required for Herrara to still be up, no doubt the Reds would have done it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's not really a fair comparison though. Maybe he'd still be up with SD if it wasn't required to keep him in the organization. If it was required for Herrara to still be up, no doubt the Reds would have done it.
    I think the better point was there was no reason to lose him in the first place.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?