Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Guevara

Carlos Guevara

I don't see him on the Padres' 25 man roster, see no transaction disabling him or any trade with the Reds. Any info on him?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carlos Guevara

He's on the DL with a strained right groin.

They put him on the 15 day DL on March 26th.

Check the DL.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Not sure if you heard, but rumor has it he is on the DL.

the ole Rule V DL, that is

So, he's on the DL?

They must really like him. I think Burton got DL'd last year too.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So, he's on the DL?

They must really like him. I think Burton got DL'd last year too.
    not once, but twice...

G is on the DL - this gives the Padres more time to check him out and see if they really wanna keep him on the 25 man the rest of the year...

sasda

Does anyone has clips of Guevara pitching screwball?

Does anybody know how long the Padres can keep someone on the 15 day DL? Even if that is business days he should have been activated or sent on a rehab assignment by now, right? That must be one severe pulled groin.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Does anybody know how long the Padres can keep someone on the 15 day DL? Even if that is business days he should have been activated or sent on a rehab assignment by now, right? That must be one severe pulled groin.

he can be kept on DL for a long time, but if not on the 25 man roster for a minimum amount of time for the entire season (what is it, 90 days?) then he'd have to be offered back to the Reds.

Teams like to make sure that 30 of the days spent in the bigs come in September, when larger rosters are permitted. The Reds did that with Jared Burton last year-- DL'd him for a significant period of time, then made sure that 30 of his major league days came in September.

One recent twist though is that the time he is required to stay on the 40 man can overlap into next season if he's on the DL for a certain length of time. I don't have time to check it now, but I'll see if I can find the reference.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    One recent twist though is that the time he is required to stay on the 40 man can overlap into next season if he's on the DL for a certain length of time. I don't have time to check it now, but I'll see if I can find the reference.
    25 man, not 40 man.

and it's true that he can be active for 30 days at end of 2008, then for 60 days in 2009, after which the team can option him to the minors.

As of today, it looks like Guevara is still hurt. He is not even playing a 'rehab' assignment in the minors as far as I can see.

Once he goes on rehab, he can only do so for 30 days...
    A disabled player may be assigned to a Minor League Club for injury rehabilitation for up to 20-days for position players. Pitchers can be granted as many as 30-days of Minor League Rehab.
    Interesting Rule 5 reference is HERE.
    To prevent the abuse of the Rule 5 draft, the rule also states that the draftee must be active for at least 90 days. This keeps teams from drafting players, then placing them on the disabled list for the majority of the season. For example, if a Rule 5 draftee was only active for 67 days in his first season with his new club, he must be active for an additional 23 games in his second season to satisfy the Rule 5 requirements.
    I can't find the full text of the actual rules anywhere. Does anyone know if there is a minimum number of active days the first year? Can the Padres disable Guevara all year, and then push his full 90 day active roster requirement on into 2009?

HERE is an article from this March that discusses Rule 5 on the MLB web site.

And HERE is an article on San Diego's use of the Rule 5, that mentions Guevara.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Despite the efforts to prevent abuse of the Rule V draft, allowing teams two seasons to satisfy the 90 days stipulation seems to leave plenty of room for abuse. Put a guy on the DL for 5 months one year and 4 months the next, and you still satisfy the 90-day requirement.

I'd rather see the rule amended such that the 90-days must be fulfilled in one season, or the player has to be returned to the original team.

Turn Off Ads?