Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Goodyear council just approved deal

Re: Goodyear council just approved deal

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Except fans in Cincinnati are the team's bread and butter. FWIW, I totally agree with the notion of not paying for substandard facilities.

If Goodyear's willing to pony up the money, then I understand why the Reds are taking it and running to Arizona.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable replacement team in high A (hopefully in the Sally League).

Though I really do wonder if this isn't a precursor to a bigger move in the future. The Reds have moved ST from Florida (which would be easier to get to for Cincinnati fans) to Arizona because, hey, it's smart business. When the GAB gets "old" in another 20 years I wonder if it won't be smart business to move the team out west as well. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to watch Reds home games in Portland in your dotage.
    Bite your tongue, man!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I could be remembering this incorrectly, but wasn't the Plant City complex built for the Reds?
    The land became available in connection with a Plant City real estate option that was linked to a close business associate of Marge (Robert C. Martin)

The Reds move to Plant City had all the markings of the Giants building Candlestick, back room real estate deals with nothing but profit driving the bus.

In Tampa, Raymond James Stadium is built on the site of Al Lopez Field where the Reds trained till 1987.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Though I really do wonder if this isn't a precursor to a bigger move in the future. The Reds have moved ST from Florida (which would be easier to get to for Cincinnati fans) to Arizona because, hey, it's smart business. When the GAB gets "old" in another 20 years I wonder if it won't be smart business to move the team out west as well. Who knows, maybe you'll be able to watch Reds home games in Portland in your dotage.
    Marty will love it
    Go Gators!

Except fans in Cincinnati are the team's bread and butter. FWIW, I totally agree with the notion of not paying for substandard facilities.

My guess is fans in Cincinnati that actually go to spring training are such a small subset as to be insignificant statistically.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    My guess is fans in Cincinnati that actually go to spring training are such a small subset as to be insignificant statistically.
    You might be surprised, particularly if you include all "Reds Country" and not just Cincinnati.

Typically there's a spike in their spring attendance on the weeks the local school systems are on Spring Break. It's not monumental, and certainly not enough to warrant not taking a better deal in Arizona, but it may be a few more than you think.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Well, if Goodyear grows by 300,000 in the next 20 to 30 years, maybe the Greater Phoenix area can handle two teams?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

What this really means is that come 2010 - there will be a huge Redszone party at the jmcclain19 pad.

Best news I've heard in a long, long time.

I'll try to go out to the site in the next couple of weeks and take some photos.

John Fay has posted a Goodyear Q & A on his blog.

I've been getting a lot of questions on Goodyear. I checked in with John Allen on some of them:

Where is Goodyear? You go west on I-10 out of Phoenix. "With no traffic, it takes me 20 minutes," Allen said. "With traffic, 30 to 25. Goodyear is right off the highway. The facility is five minutes from the I-10."

When will the Reds start training out there? 2010.

How long is the lease? 20 years with two 5-year options.

What happens to the Reds team in the Florida State League? That hasn't been decided yet. The Reds own the franchise. "That's something we have to address," Allen said. "We've had some preliminary discussions."

What happens to the Reds team in the Gulf Coast League? It will be shifted the Arizona League. The GCL team is a half-season league. They don't even charge admission to games. The games are played on the practice fields. The Reds will retain control of the two of their six fields year-round. Goodyear is free to use the other four fields when the Reds aren't in spring training.

Will the Reds year-round rehab operation be moved to Goodyear? Yes.

Are the Reds going to definitely be in Sarasota in 2009? "I assume so," Allen said. "We have until Aug. 1 to exercise our option. We haven't done so yet. But I can't imagine a scenario where we wouldn't."

When does construction on the Reds portion of the project begin? "Probably sometime this fall," Allen said. Goodyear still has to contract with architects and construction companies to do the project. The thought is the same people who designed and built the Cleveland facility will do for the Reds. "Our baseball operations people are already talking about plans," Allen said. "We'll get started right away."

What are the Reds telling fans who wanted the club to stay in Florida? "You can't fool anybody. Phoenix farther than Sarasota, Fla.," Allen said. "But by the same token we have a lot of fans not only in Arizona but in the Southwestern United States -- displaced Ohioans or whatever. It's 14 or 15 games. We'll probably lose same fans, but we 'll compensate with new fans. It's a neat place. Everything is new. There's a lot of development."

How many times will the Reds play the Indians? Probably four. That's what the Rangers and Royals, who share a facility at Surprise, do.

Will we have many 10 p.m. (Cincinnati time) starts? "I don't know," Allen said. "We haven't gotten into scheduling. There will probably be a sprinkling."

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I posted this on another thread - but here is the Google Maps shot of where the new ballpark will be

At Yuma & Estrella Parkway in what now shows up as Farm fields off the Southeast corner of the intersection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...09407&t=h&z=14

Quote Originally Posted by Triples View Post
    not to mention you'll miss all the insane spring break traffic on the KY, TN, GA and FL interstates.
    I find it impossible to believe such a thing exists. I know a good number of people who've driven through GA and FL at that time of year and never heard a peep about anything like it. In fact, what I've been told is it's pretty smooth sailing except around larger metro areas at rush hour.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I posted this on another thread - but here is the Google Maps shot of where the new ballpark will be

At Yuma & Estrella Parkway in what now shows up as Farm fields off the Southeast corner of the intersection.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...09407&t=h&z=14
    Looks like military retirees and active duty can possibly get space available lodging at Luke AFB (about 7 miles away)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

The only thing that is constant...is change.

There go my retirement plans of spending every March in Florida, watching Reds baseball for a solid month.

But I hear Arizona is pretty nice, too!

I agree with others above who said it's better than paying for substandard digs. Here's what the folks in Sarasota are saying:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...53/1006/SPORTS

(I just love this negative dig- from a place that really wasn't sure if they wanted Reds baseball operations to stay or not)

This time last year, the city put together a $44 million funding package with the county and state. But the Reds insisted on a renovation costing $54 million.
    sorry we're boring

I find it impossible to believe such a thing exists. I know a good number of people who've driven through GA and FL at that time of year and never heard a peep about anything like it. In fact, what I've been told is it's pretty smooth sailing except around larger metro areas at rush hour.
    I've seen it first hand on I-95 in South Carolina and Georgia. Going and coming. And not at peak driving hours, either.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?