Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Strikes Out Nightly

Strikes Out Nightly

highly regarded CFer Justin Reed does his best work by day (struck out at acceptable 25 percent rate in GCL or in day games at Billings, had a great instructional camp, which I assume is a daylight camp), but strikes out all the time at night (40 percent K rate in last year's Billings night games, currently striking out more than half the time in Dayton night games).

his struggles to hit under lights might help to explain pickup of LHHing combo OFer Daniel Perales in Coutlangus trade.
    Last edited by princeton; 04-08-2008 at 06:53 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Strikes Out Nightly

Night vision problem you think? I wonder if the Reds have had his vision tested.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

By any chance, have you compared him to his peers? A lot of minor league parks are notably less-lit than Major League parks. Also, small sample size may come into effect.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    By any chance, have you compared him to his peers? A lot of minor league parks are notably less-lit than Major League parks. Also, small sample size may come into effect.
    right, I've brought up all of these caveats in previous postings on this issue.

he could be striking out more frequently due to increase in quality of pitching, but the effect has been much grander in his case than in the case of his peers. He could also just be slumping at end of last season and beginning of this year (small sample size). However, as I noted at end of last year, the day/night split bears watching for Reed and so far, his night play has been ugly. we won't get much day game data unless he gets demoted back to GCL.

former first round bust Johnny Oliver had night vision problems, but he couldn't even catch a flyball at night. Reed's problem, if he has one, is surely less severe.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Nice find princeton, I always like odd stats like that. Anyone Notice how Arroyo is worse in the day time then the night as well.

Turn Off Ads?