And this by no means is a permenant judment on the season or anything, just observations from an ole fan.
1. Ken Griffey Jr. seems to get much better when the weather is warm. I thought the way he looked from the beginning of the week to the end was very noticable.
2. I think the bullpen can be a valuable weapon. Burton setting up is very, very good. Weathers will be in middle relief by the end of May, if not sooner. Bray needs to come up. I don't trust Affeldt vs. lefties, falling behind in the count is going to start costing him. Merker is better vs. righties.
3. I absolutely disagree with the handling of Joey Votto. He should be at 1b everyday. Period.
4. Valentin just must not handle pitchers well at all, despite the praise of Mackanin. I thought his role would expand with a couple of young Latino studs on the mound. They are still choosing Bako over him.
5. I'm pleasantly surprised at how Baker handled Cueto and Volquez. Especially pulling Volquez in the middle of an inning. Hopefully he learned with Wood and Prior, and he will keep their innings around the 170 mark. (and I know it's pitch counts, but you know what I mean)
6. Arroyo IMO is no better than a low 3 or 4. The Reds need to find an innings eater behind Harang if Volquez and Cueto are going to be handled properly. Otherwise the bullpen is blown by June and we all know how Wayne shops for the bullpen during the season.
7. Jeff Keppinger plays everyday in my book. Even if I have to move Phillips to SS. I would seriously consider that. It should have been experimented with in spring training.
8. We are 4-3, and we haven't started to hit yet.