Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After a week in........

After a week in........

And this by no means is a permenant judment on the season or anything, just observations from an ole fan.

1. Ken Griffey Jr. seems to get much better when the weather is warm. I thought the way he looked from the beginning of the week to the end was very noticable.

2. I think the bullpen can be a valuable weapon. Burton setting up is very, very good. Weathers will be in middle relief by the end of May, if not sooner. Bray needs to come up. I don't trust Affeldt vs. lefties, falling behind in the count is going to start costing him. Merker is better vs. righties.

3. I absolutely disagree with the handling of Joey Votto. He should be at 1b everyday. Period.

4. Valentin just must not handle pitchers well at all, despite the praise of Mackanin. I thought his role would expand with a couple of young Latino studs on the mound. They are still choosing Bako over him.

5. I'm pleasantly surprised at how Baker handled Cueto and Volquez. Especially pulling Volquez in the middle of an inning. Hopefully he learned with Wood and Prior, and he will keep their innings around the 170 mark. (and I know it's pitch counts, but you know what I mean)

6. Arroyo IMO is no better than a low 3 or 4. The Reds need to find an innings eater behind Harang if Volquez and Cueto are going to be handled properly. Otherwise the bullpen is blown by June and we all know how Wayne shops for the bullpen during the season.

7. Jeff Keppinger plays everyday in my book. Even if I have to move Phillips to SS. I would seriously consider that. It should have been experimented with in spring training.

8. We are 4-3, and we haven't started to hit yet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: After a week in........

Good post, except for BP to third. If we are going to have an infielder in the lineup that doesn't hit, then let that be A-Gon when he gets back. At least he plays consistent defense. EE is off to a very bad start. I don't care if he gets his walks. He is in the 6 hole and needs to drive in runs not "Clog up the bases" for hitters like Paul Bako and the Pitcher. Kep should play 3rd if this kind of play still remains when Gonzo gets back IMO.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post

3. I absolutely disagree with the handling of Joey Votto. He should be at 1b everyday. Period.
    AMEN.

4. Valentin just must not handle pitchers well at all, despite the praise of Mackanin. I thought his role would expand with a couple of young Latino studs on the mound. They are still choosing Bako over him.
    He just injured the ole hammy right? Maybe Dusty's playing it safe.

6. Arroyo IMO is no better than a low 3 or 4. The Reds need to find an innings eater behind Harang if Volquez and Cueto are going to be handled properly. Otherwise the bullpen is blown by June and we all know how Wayne shops for the bullpen during the season.
    Agreed.

7. Jeff Keppinger plays everyday in my book. Even if I have to move Phillips to SS. I would seriously consider that. It should have been experimented with in spring training.
    I echo this.

Woo hoo! :dancingco:

Senor Votto

9. Dunn looks like a new player out there. Though he hasn't hit a homer yet he looks better at the plate for the most part and he looks better in Left Field

And this by no means is a permenant judment on the season or anything, just observations from an ole fan.

1. Ken Griffey Jr. seems to get much better when the weather is warm. I thought the way he looked from the beginning of the week to the end was very noticable.

2. I think the bullpen can be a valuable weapon. Burton setting up is very, very good. Weathers will be in middle relief by the end of May, if not sooner. Bray needs to come up. I don't trust Affeldt vs. lefties, falling behind in the count is going to start costing him. Merker is better vs. righties.

5. I'm pleasantly surprised at how Baker handled Cueto and Volquez. Especially pulling Volquez in the middle of an inning. Hopefully he learned with Wood and Prior, and he will keep their innings around the 170 mark. (and I know it's pitch counts, but you know what I mean)

I mostly agree, however, I think your number 3 and 7 conflict each other a little bit. You think Votto should be playin at first, and think Kepp should be playing daily as well. Hatty is hitting the ball well (I think top 10 NL so far?), and think thats why he is playing right now, which is also why I would assume you want Kepp in there daily, as he too is hitting the ball well-I think they are both hitting the best so far this young season. I do not agree Kepp should be playing so much that I would move B Phillips to short, or anywhere for that matter. I do want Kepp in there, but dont think it should invovle moving Phillips anywhere.
    Last edited by bounty37h; 04-08-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

We're 4-3 and two of our losses were starts by Harang -starts where he pitched well enough for the Reds to win. That trend won't continue. As of now, I feel very confident with Harang, Cueto, and Volquez. Arroyo becomes too hittable when the ump behind the dish is calling a tight zone. Fogg performed as expected unfortunately. Obviously I hope for better results but not counting on them. I think either Besilse or Bailey will be a better option than Fogg sooner than later and could see the rotation going something like this:

Cueto, Harang, Volquez, Arroyo, Bailey

Why Cueto at the top? Simply to break up the Cueto/Volquez 1-2 punch. I mean, does it really matter once you get past Opening Day who is "Number 1?" I just want to see the Reds maximize the starts by those three. It is rare to have three pitchers who can log some serious K figures in the rotation. I'd like to see those three start in the House that Ruth Built this summer.

Arroyo may fare well in the 4 slot. Less pressure to produce what is expected as a #2. Someone like Bailey or even Besisle in the 5 hole is fine by me - yes they have control issues, but both can also log their fair share of whiffs. That would give the Reds four starters in the rotation who could trot to the mound and strikeout 7 or more any given start.

Offensively this club, like others, should improve with warmer weather and I'm not worried. I'd like to solidify the C position and I'm curious how Dusty/Wayne will handle SS, but the Corey Patterson Experience has proven to be a plus in my book. I won't get caught up in whether he should bat leadoff. I'd rather see Kepp there, but Kepp is becoming a clutch hitter with RISP and I'm not sure I want to lose that. Simply put, Patterson's presence in CF makes me happy, particularly with the lack of range in the corners. The Reds could have done much worse than CP in my opinion.

Before the season started, I was optimistically projecting 86-89 wins. I think if the rotation holds (and improves by replacing Fogg if need be) the win total will eclipse the 90 mark. The post season is a reality this year.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Well, at least this seems to validate one of Dusty Baker's crackpot theories!

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    9. Dunn looks like a new player out there. Though he hasn't hit a homer yet he looks better at the plate for the most part and he looks better in Left Field
    I don't know about this...he's hitting .143 and he has 2 RBI
    What makes you say he looks better at the plate?

It's one start. Give the guy a break... I don't like judging a starting pitcher until they have 5-7 starts. The sample size is too small.

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    Good post, except for BP to third. If we are going to have an infielder in the lineup that doesn't hit, then let that be A-Gon when he gets back. At least he plays consistent defense. EE is off to a very bad start. I don't care if he gets his walks. He is in the 6 hole and needs to drive in runs not "Clog up the bases" for hitters like Paul Bako and the Pitcher. Kep should play 3rd if this kind of play still remains when Gonzo gets back IMO.
    Maybe he's not getting any pitches because of the people behind him. Maybe he's struggling by swinging at bad pitches in order to not "strike out looking". I don't think it's a coincidence at all that our 3 most patient hitters Votto/Dunn/EE are struggling. I believe it's Baker's philosophy that's causing these players to overthink and become uncomfortable at the plate. I hate Baker's lineups but the least he could do is switch EE with BP.

BP's swinging no matter what and will get his HRs. He'll be up a lot with runners on base. He'll also be able to steal to get in scoring position for those singles hitters behind him. EE has less power and speed, but he's a better hitter and is able to get on base. EE batting in front Dunn will increase the chances Dunn gets up with runners on base, resulting in more RBI. EE is also a "clutch" hitter and will do well in those situations where the pitcher can't pitch around him. Does anyone not agree with what I just said? And if so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    We're 4-3 and two of our losses were starts by Harang -starts where he pitched well enough for the Reds to win. That trend won't continue.
    Actually, one loss from a Harang start, one from Arroyo, and one from Fogg.

I think we should trade Arroyo off for someone better. He IMO is not that great of a pitcher. However I agree with OP post. I would like to see Phillips playing SS.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Actually, one loss from a Harang start, one from Arroyo, and one from Fogg.
    My fault Homer. I had (mercifully) forgotten about the Fogg start and had it in my head that Harang had started the game.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by redlegsmustache View Post
    I think we should trade Arroyo off for someone better. He IMO is not that great of a pitcher. However I agree with OP post. I would like to see Phillips playing SS.
    Who are you trading Arroyo for? Somebody who can come in and fill a rotation spot - don't think so. I would not want to have Bailey and Belisle in the rotation and Arroyo out. He is a good pitcher. He will get it together. Take it easy - things are far more good than bad right now.

why would you move philips to SS ? he was almost a gold glove. leave him there. you don't downgrade your defense a lot to upgrade your offense by just a little bit.

Turn Off Ads?