Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jackie Robinson Anniversary

Jackie Robinson Anniversary

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

NEW YORK -- By proclamation of the Commissioner, for the second consecutive year as Major League Baseball celebrates the anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking its color barrier, any big league player can wear the late Hall of Famer's famous No. 42 in action that day.

"All players have the option. It's entirely up to them," Commissioner Bud Selig told MLB.com on Monday. "Candidly, I hope they all do it."

Personally, I am not a fan of this. Don't get me wrong, I am not a bigot by any means. I am looking at this from the baseball side of things and do not approve of what Major League Baseball is trying to do. They are trying to get media attention and money from fans as they rehash the great memory of one of the greatest men to ever play the game. The reason I have a problem with this is because there is no great significance to allow the players to wear number 42 on April 15. The only thing I can think of is that there are probably 42 million people in the United States that will be filing their taxes on that day.
    I approved of the move last year because of the 60-year anniversary and thought it was a great move to honor Jackie. However, a year later, we don't need to be reminded again of what happened. I feel that if we do this every year, then it will diminish the importance of what Jackie Robinson really did. You honor his selfless acts periodically, but every year will cause the fanbase to get bored of the movement and lose track of the significance of wearing number 42.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jackie Robinson Anniversary

I agree with you 500%.

Re: Jackie Robinson Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832 View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

NEW YORK -- By proclamation of the Commissioner, for the second consecutive year as Major League Baseball celebrates the anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking its color barrier, any big league player can wear the late Hall of Famer's famous No. 42 in action that day.

"All players have the option. It's entirely up to them," Commissioner Bud Selig told MLB.com on Monday. "Candidly, I hope they all do it."

Personally, I am not a fan of this. Don't get me wrong, I am not a bigot by any means. I am looking at this from the baseball side of things and do not approve of what Major League Baseball is trying to do. They are trying to get media attention and money from fans as they rehash the great memory of one of the greatest men to ever play the game. The reason I have a problem with this is because there is no great significance to allow the players to wear number 42 on April 15. The only thing I can think of is that there are probably 42 million people in the United States that will be filing their taxes on that day.
    I approved of the move last year because of the 60-year anniversary and thought it was a great move to honor Jackie. However, a year later, we don't need to be reminded again of what happened. I feel that if we do this every year, then it will diminish the importance of what Jackie Robinson really did. You honor his selfless acts periodically, but every year will cause the fanbase to get bored of the movement and lose track of the significance of wearing number 42.
    Ken Griffey Jr started this a couple years back as a way to remember Robinson, a tribute if you will. Griff asked Bud directly and he approved it. Then the next year Bud let anyone wear it that wanted to. Bud saw an opportunity make money. Come to the ballpark, and see your favorite player wear a different number.

However I don't think it will ever lose significance. As long as people are going to the ballpark or watching baseball on tv on that day; kids, and people not informed asking those in the know about why that person is wearing #42. Then the great story of Jackie Robinson can be told.

Your OP says the fanbase will get bored. However baseball doesn't have the same exact people watching every year.

My niece, and nephew are 4 and 5 and we've never really talked about sports or took them to a game. Yet they want to play baseball. They've seen it on tv. And will pick up a stick in the yard, and say baseball. I'm just happy that I can teach them about it when they get older. Can tell them the stories of The Great Bambino, Jackie breaking the color barrier, Nolan Ryan's velocity. The 94-95 strike, errors, balls, strikes etc.

Its a great sport, and as long as we share it, and why we love it the fanbase will never get bored because it will always be a fresh fanbase, mixed with us the "old" people who like the game since we were young when someone took us to a ball game, or taught us to swing a bat, or throw a ball.

Turn Off Ads?