Turn Off Ads?

Thread: For those worrying about Dusty

For those worrying about Dusty

... and what he might do. Well if he does do off-the-wall stuff he will be in good company.

Joe Torre received praise last week in this space for smartly choosing Andre Ethier to start over Juan Pierre in the Dodgers' outfield, but apparently that was speaking too soon. Ethier has indeed been playing regularly, but Torre has still managed to get Pierre into the lineup by inexplicably benching the team's best outfielder, Matt Kemp. Kemp batted .342 with an .894 OPS in 98 games with the Dodgers last season, which was extremely impressive for a 22-year-old.

It never even crossed my mind that Kemp might be benched for Pierre, because that seemed so obviously misguided, yet that's exactly what's happened. Pierre started over Kemp for a third straight game Monday and has forced him to the bench four times in seven games this season. Kemp will likely play Tuesday against left-hander Doug Davis and Pierre's 1-for-15 (.067) start may help Torre come to his senses, but his decision-making is in serious question.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: For those worrying about Dusty

I don't trust him with the younger talent. Yet!
    I won't count Cueto and Volquez because he had little choice but to pitch them.

I am still waiting to see how he inspires improvement from younger players such as Votto, Bruce, Encarcion and Bray. I am not convinced that Dusty puts them in the best position to gain improvement. Though I can see where his style makes it a self fulfilling prophecy to have to have a Patterson, Hatteberg, or a Castro play.

"That's the hardest part about starting the season," Baker said. "In spring training these guys play almost every day. Rarely do they go more than two days without playing. Then the season starts and for a week or so you don't play. You lose your stroke and your timing. Then all of a sudden you call on them to do something and they don't feel ready - and they're not ready."

So I can assume that intermittent play can hinder younger players, making it look right to play a Hatteberg, Patterson, Freel etc over them?

If Torre doesn't want Kemp, he can trade him to the Reds. I offer Drew Stubbs and Matt Maloney right now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If Torre doesn't want Kemp, he can trade him to the Reds. I offer Drew Stubbs and Matt Maloney right now.
    Done.

In all seriousness, it would take way more than Stubbs and Maloney for Kemp, but if Kemp's not getting regular PT in LA, I would hope that Dusty could find it in his heart to give Kemp playing time in Cincinnati.

Why not offer a coupon to McDonald's too as sweetner?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Ok, Stubbs, Bailey and Patterson.

I'd actually do that too. I could stand a 2009 OF of Dunn, Bruce and Kemp.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Ok, Stubbs, Bailey and Patterson.

I'd actually do that too. I could stand a 2009 OF of Dunn, Bruce and Kemp.
    I'm wondering what trade value guys like Freel, Hopper, Gonzalez, or Votto would have to the Dodgers.

Loney is better than Votto, so I think that would lower Votto's value, and Furcal is better than Gonzalez, so the same logic applies.

Freel might have the highest value of all, due to his versatility, but would have to play 3B, and don't the Dodgers have the younger LaRoche on the horizon there?

Hopper? If Kemp can't start over Pierre, then Hopper would be at best a 4th OF for the Dodgers.

But yeah, I'd send Bailey out West. And I'd send Stubbs in any trade to get a warm body that could actually contribute.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    And I'd send Stubbs in any trade to get a warm body that could actually contribute.
    No faith in Stubbs at all huh?

Is that a surprise Doug?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/stati...s/?pl_id=39690

I'm happy with the start.. long way to go, but lookin pretty good IMO, for a pitcher's league..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Anytime you have more strikeouts than walks, its a good thing as a hitter. I really like that he is hitting out of the leadoff spot this year. I think it will really help him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Anytime you have more strikeouts than walks, its a good thing as a hitter. I really like that he is hitting out of the leadoff spot this year. I think it will really help him.
    Write that again.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Same reaction here...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

And when you have more walks than hits it's a concern. I love that he has a good eye, and doesn't swing at pitches he can't hit. But the question is: Are there pitches he CAN hit?

And when you have more walks than hits it's a concern. I love that he has a good eye, and doesn't swing at pitches he can't hit. But the question is: Are there pitches he CAN hit?
    Sure there are. But as long as his K totals are low, then appearantly there aren't many that he is missing.

One reason why Dunn walks so much, outside of good patience, is that he misses or fouls pitches he should hit. So he may see two strikes, one he takes because it may not be a good pitch to hit, the other may be a hitters pitch that he misses, then he doesn't see another strike the rest of the AB so he walks. That's why when Hatteberg walks a lot, it is so much more impressive to me. He makes contact a lot, so he doesn't see more pitches because he misses hitable ones like Dunn, Ryan Howard, or others that also K a lot.

Turn Off Ads?