Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Homer watch

Re: Homer watch

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Can anyone explain why not? Cueto has gotten lit up recently. Bailey has been pretty dang good in AAA. Cueto hasn't done much since his first couple of starts. I'm beginning to worry it's a mental thing.
    That's funny. Doesn't mean Bailey will do pretty dang good in Cincy. Like hitters, pitchers have good days and bad days. He's only thrown 6 times. You don't pull the trigger that quick on a prospect.

Besides, I'd bring Lehr up before anyone

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I've got a hunch...

Cueto's still throwing strikes. His strikes are just a little too good right now. He appeared to be falling off to the 1st base side a little more than usual last night which explains the ball being further up in the strike zone more. He's let his youth get to him a bit lately, meaning he gets visibly frustrated and starts to overthrow. He just needs to calm himself and let it fly. He'll be perfectly fine.

Homer by most accounts is getting his control where it needs to be and will be up soon. Cueto stays. The one to go will be Belisle most likely and then to the pen while someone in the pen takes a ride elsewhere.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBuck36 View Post
    Cueto's still throwing strikes. His strikes are just a little too good right now. He appeared to be falling off to the 1st base side a little more than usual last night which explains the ball being further up in the strike zone more. He's let his youth get to him a bit lately, meaning he gets visibly frustrated and starts to overthrow. He just needs to calm himself and let it fly. He'll be perfectly fine.

Homer by most accounts is getting his control where it needs to be and will be up soon. Cueto stays. The one to go will be Belisle most likely and then to the pen while someone in the pen takes a ride elsewhere.
    Cueto was throwing strikes, but they were no where near where he wanted to throw them at. He was missing inside the zone big time. Its one of the concerns made about him and his control that scouts had talked about the previous two years. He throws strikes often, but at times he misses inside the zone a whole lot and that leads to problems. I am not worried about the kid at all though, but its not something that wasn't known about.

Homer today: 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 10 K.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Homer today: 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 10 K.
    Sweet
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Homer Bailey continued to make a case that he deserves a spot in the Cincinnati Reds' rotation yesterday with a power pitching display at Louisville Slugger Field. Bailey struck out 10 in seven innings in the Louisville Bats' 4-3 victory over the Toledo Mud Hens.

It's the most strikeouts the right-hander has had in a Triple-A game and one shy of his professional career high.

Bailey, who has been dominant for Louisville and improved to 4-2 with a 2.29 ERA, showed sizzling stuff early with two strikeouts in the first inning. He ended four innings with strikeouts, and he struck out his final two batters in the seventh.

"His stuff has just been electric coming out of his hands," Louisville manager Rick Sweet said. "All of his stuff is coming out of his hands better. Fastball, slider, curveball change-up; all of his pitches are better. … He's in much more control of what he's trying to do."

Last year Bailey went 4-2 with the Reds but had a 5.76 ERA. He was unable to secure a spot with them out of spring training this season.

Getting sent back to the minors can be tough on young pitchers, but Bailey, who turns 22 on Saturday, seems to take a matter-of-fact approach about his future.

"You worry about your next game, your next pitch," he said. "I don't have any control over it. I don't worry about it. Right now this team has been playing well. That's the biggest thing I focus on."

Bailey had a 2-1 lead going into his final inning. Toledo's Erick Almonte rocketed a line drive over the left-center-field fence for a two-run home run and a 3-2 lead. Bailey regrouped by striking out Nick Trzesniak and Derek Wathan to end the seventh.

Louisville picked up Bailey in the bottom half of the inning. The Bats loaded the bases, and Paul Janish hit a one-out, two-run single that made Bailey the winning pitcher.

After the game, Bailey was still annoyed about Almonte's 387-foot shot.

"It was a fastball right down the middle," said Bailey, who allowed five hits and two walks. "I was behind in the count. He did what he was supposed to do."

So what more does Bailey have to do?

"Just keep doing what he's doing," Sweet said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...805010463/1002

Homer hasn't shown much to prove he belongs in the majors yet. He still has another 50I's to prove himself before he is stuck down in AAA for the whole season.

Triple-A Louisville: The Bats' 4-3 victory Wednesday over Toledo marked their 16th win, matching the franchise record for victories in April (16-6, 2000).

In Wednesday's win, Homer Bailey showed why he's one of the Reds best prospects. His line: 3 runs on 5 hits in 7 innings (2 walks, 10 strikeouts, 108 pitches, 66 strikes).

Bailey's 4-2 with a 2.29 ERA in six games. Here's an even further breakdown of Bailey's numbers in Louisville:

Bailey vs. left-handed batters: (14-for-74, .189 batting average, 3r, 1hr, 3rbi, 4bb, 13k).

Bailey vs. right-handed batters: (16-for-67, .239 batting average, 7r, 3hr, 7rbi, 5bb, 19k).

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/805020406/

I think if Beslile gets blown up tomorrow, Bailey could take his slot next week

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    I think if Beslile gets blown up tomorrow, Bailey could take his slot next week
    I don't. I think Fogg would go back to the rotation. I think it's still too early to bring Bailey up (and Jocketty has acknowledged that as well).

So, the outing last night wasn't stellar...but it wasn't like the guy got rocked. I'm very impressed that his Ks have been climbing. 7 hits though is an awful lot, but I guess the defense sucked last night so I'll give him a bit of a pass. Hopefully his next outing is stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    So, the outing last night wasn't stellar...but it wasn't like the guy got rocked. I'm very impressed that his Ks have been climbing. 7 hits though is an awful lot, but I guess the defense sucked last night so I'll give him a bit of a pass. Hopefully his next outing is stellar.
    how'd the defense suck again ??

7 hits is not a lot for 7 IP - it's the walks around the hits that can kill a pitcher

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post
    how'd the defense suck again ??

7 hits is not a lot for 7 IP - it's the walks around the hits that can kill a pitcher
    There were a few plays that hit infielders gloves that went down as hits, that at least the radio announcer was questioning if they should have been hits. Drew Anderson also lost on in the lights that landed three feet in front of him while he was standing there unsure where the ball was.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There were a few plays that hit infielders gloves that went down as hits, that at least the radio announcer was questioning if they should have been hits. Drew Anderson also lost on in the lights that landed three feet in front of him while he was standing there unsure where the ball was.
    oh ok...i had checked the game recap and it really doesn't tell you that

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Fastball, slider, curveball change-up
    That's 4 pitches!!!

Turn Off Ads?