Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer watch

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Homer watch

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Found a pretty good article put up a couple weeks ago about Homer entitled Homer Bailey: Ace or Talented Underachiever?. There's some video clips so it's best to go to the link, but here's a little teaser:

He also links to dougdirt's blog in the next paragraph. Pretty cool stuff.
    I saw that article.... Its pretty much a breakdown of his mechanics though, and its making everything said in the article based off of Homer Bailey and his mechanics from 2006 and 2007, which he doesn't use anymore.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I saw that article.... Its pretty much a breakdown of his mechanics though, and its making everything said in the article based off of Homer Bailey and his mechanics from 2006 and 2007, which he doesn't use anymore.
    They are the same mechanics basically except they are shortened up.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    They are the same mechanics basically except they are shortened up.
    Which makes them entirely different. His stride is different. That changes his tempo toward the plate as well.

Cruisin' for trouble

Does Homer really have an out pitch? He has a nice curve, when he can locate it, but the big advantage that Cueto and Volquez have over Bailey is the devestating changeup.

Should Bailey spend his time in AAA working on a Soto change or a sinker?

I can't help but see Homer Bailey and think Kyle Lohse... Electric stuff. Dominant when he attacks hitters and stays in the zone. Disastrous when he doesn't.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I am encouraged by Bailey so far this spring. Several people have been quoted as saying he looks better than they have ever seen him, including catchers Chad Moeller and David Ross.

"I caught him some last year and that’s the best I’ve seen him,” Moeller said. “Command, velocity, his fastball was kind of cutting across the strike zone. That was a different pitcher than I saw last year.” Link from HERE.

From today's Louisville paper:

""He's really turned the corner as far as learning how to pitch and throwing pitches with conviction," Ross said. "He's not just a one-pitch pitcher."

"Added Bats manager Rick Sweet: "His ball is coming out of his hand so much better than what I saw last year."

His numbers through his first 3 Bats starts:
    2 wins 1loss, ERA of 1.42, 19.0 innings pitched, 14 hits, 3 runs (all earned), 1 HR allowed, 3 BBs, 13 Ks, BA against of .209, and a .842 WHIP.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I can't help but see Homer Bailey and think Kyle Lohse... Electric stuff. Dominant when he attacks hitters and stays in the zone. Disastrous when he doesn't.
    Not even close. Lohse doesn't have Bailey's arm by a long shot.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Keep it going, Homer!

Looking good so far!

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Does Homer really have an out pitch? He has a nice curve, when he can locate it, but the big advantage that Cueto and Volquez have over Bailey is the devestating changeup.

Should Bailey spend his time in AAA working on a Soto change or a sinker?
    No he doesn't. Not in my opinion of watching him both last year in Cincy (on TV) and a few spring training games this year. I believe he's working on a "cut" fastball. His curve he can't always locate for a strike - that's the one thing that bothers me about him.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post
    No he doesn't. Not in my opinion of watching him both last year in Cincy (on TV) and a few spring training games this year. I believe he's working on a "cut" fastball. His curve he can't always locate for a strike - that's the one thing that bothers me about him.
    Neither did Verlander to last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post
    No he doesn't.
    Homer Bailey has a career minor league H/9 of 6.82. Even in his rough stint in the majors last year it was under 9, at ~8.6. I'd say the problem is, and has always been, his penchant for far too many walks due to control problems, and not that he doesn't have an out pitch.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say he has two out pitches - his FB and his curve. He just needs to put them in the strike zone with more regularity, which he's doing this season. Hence, a WHIP of 0.87.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Homer Bailey has a career minor league H/9 of 6.82. Even in his rough stint in the majors last year it was under 9, at ~8.6. I'd say the problem is, and has always been, his penchant for far too many walks due to control problems, and not that he doesn't have an out pitch.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say he has two out pitches - his FB and his curve. He just needs to put them in the strike zone with more regularity, which he's doing this season. Hence, a WHIP of 0.87.
    well yeah his FB is an out pitch and his curve can be an out pitch (when they swing at it out of the zone). i guess i'd like to see more consistency of his curve for a strike when needed. that way hitters aren't just sitting on a fastball and laying off everything else. IMO, that was one thing he lacked last year during his stint in Cincy.

dougdirt will tell you I have been one of Homer's harshest critics over the last couple of years.

And I have to say that Bailey has done well this year so far.

Sure, I'd love to see those K/9 numbers go back up, but a quality start is more important than leading the league in K's. Homer has given three quality starts. It certainly has to be helping his confidence - as well as the confidence of those in the organization who have lobbied on Homer's behalf.

Show me this kind of consistency over 8-10 more starts and I would consider him ready for another shot in Cincy.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Qaulity starts are stepping stones to being consisent and potentially dominating.

Harang is a good example of this. Not the most dominant by any stretch of the imagination, but consistency has led him to be a #1 on our staff. He typically gets the job done.

Keep it up Homer.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Senor Votto

Also from Krivsky:

On Homer Bailey: "He looked good. Ross caught him in fact. I talked to David the next day. He said Homer has made tremendous improvement. He's locating his pitches better. He's doing well."

Turn Off Ads?