Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer watch

Re: Homer watch

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Seems like he always starts on the same days as Cueto.
    just the way it's happened as of lately cause the rainout last sunday pushed his rotation schedule back a day....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Homer looks good and has made some real progress, but if he spent another 4-8 starts in AAA it certainly wouldn't hurt him. Belisle is pitching fine and I think we are going to see him in Cincinnati for a while before Bailey comes back up.
    Agreed completely.

Bailey's poor performance (for whatever reason -- injury or otherwise) in the bigs last year prevents him from being given the benefit of the doubt. He needs to show that what he's doing this year in AAA isn't an aberration but, rather, the new norm.

July is the earliest that I want to see Homer Bailey in a Reds uni, and that's only if he remains pitch-efficient and keeps his walk rate under control.

Besides, the LAST thing the Reds need is another young pitcher that can't locate the plate, given Volquez's inability to make it to the 6th.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Senor Votto

Bailey: 7IP, 5H, 3K, 0BB, 0R. 92 pitches, 60 strikes.
    Good start

I know some are going to be concerned about the lack of K's..

but given that Bailey is apparentely working on some new mechanics, and his control - I dont mind it..

yet..

I believe he's trying to command the zone better, trying to be more pitch efficient. All while working to shorten his stride, simplify his mechanics.

Reds fans need to be patient and not proclaim he's a bust due to his K rate. I think that will be the last thing to come. Once he gets the new mechanics and short stride down, the finishing touches should see his K rate rise again.

If it does, we got a helluva pitcher on our hands.

But that may not even come this year. Homer is still only 21. It may be another 3 years(see Volquez, Edinson..) before he ties all aspects of his game together and becomes the complete package.

In any case, I like that Bailey is accomplishing the goals he set out to accomplish at AAA. Improve his command. Improve his pitch efficiency. Throw strikes. Seems he's doing all those things. Some nights better than others, but its steady progress IMO.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm not at all concerned about the lack of Ks thus far. I'm far more concerned with walks/control/pitch efficiency. It seems (though still early) he is turning a corner in that department. I think the Ks will come later. He's just gotta continue to trust his stuff and perfect that offspeed stuff. I don't really want to see him any earlier than July either. It'll be real interesting to see what happens though if he continues to pitch the way he has. It'll make it real tough on the Reds, but that's a good problem to have.

Krivsky on Homer:

The 'B' boys

The natural roster move is to replace Weathers with Matt Belisle, tonight's starting pitcher against the Dodgers.

General Manager Wayne Krivsky hinted there could be others and that doesn't even include catcher David Ross, who must come off rehab Tuesday.

Krivsky talked glowingly Sunday about pitchers Homer Bailey and Bill Bray. Bailey pitched 71/3 scoreless innings Saturday for Class AAA Louisville and is 3-1 with a 1.03 earned-run average. In six appearances (six innings), Bray has a 0.00 ERA and has given up two hits while striking out 11 and walking three.

"We're activating Belisle and whether there is something else, well, we'll see," Krivsky said. "Bailey pitched a good game, his pitch count was down and it has been that way since his first start."

When it was mentioned that Bailey has allowed three runs over 261/3 innings with four walks and 16 strikeouts, Krivsky smiled and said, "That's pretty good."

Of Bray, Krivsky said: "I saw him twice, and he really has the sharpness and crispness on his slider. Velocity was average to above and he was impressive."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...snotesweb.html

Why Bill Bray isn't with the big league team at this point is beyond me.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Why Bill Bray isn't with the big league team at this point is beyond me.
    Kent Merker, Mike Lincoln, and Josh Fogg. Neither of the first two was really expected to make the club and both have earned their respective spots. Fogg has been exactly who we thought he'd be, but we needed somebody to eat the innings.

The club needs to fish or cut bait with Coffey and is giving him the chance to write his ticket out of town. Affeldt, given his salary, isn't going anywhere regardless of how he throws, but has been solid so far.

To me, the interesting question is whether Bailey gets brought up to the pen or whether he pushes Belilse out of the rotation. OF course, with injuries and/or poor performances, these sorts of things tend to sort themselves out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Cruisin' for trouble

Bailey in the pen is an interesting thought. With Volquez and Cueto averaging 5-6 innings per start, would you put Homer on a set schedule in which he picks up some, if not all, of the remaining innings on the days that Cueto and Volquez start?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Bailey in the pen is an interesting thought. With Volquez and Cueto averaging 5-6 innings per start, would you put Homer on a set schedule in which he picks up some, if not all, of the remaining innings on the days that Cueto and Volquez start?
    I wouldn't. Homer needs to start all year in order to build up his arm strength to handle a starting pitchers workload. The most innings Homer has ever thrown in a season is 138.2 innings, and that was in 2006. I think he needs to make 12-15 starts in Louisville and then should be re-evaluated after that. If he's still commanding his pitches well and looks ready to pitch in the majors again, then call him up at that time and slot him into the Reds rotation and move Belisle into the bullpen.

I'm an Indiana University student and a diehard Boston Red Sox fan who has been following the Reds for the last two years, mainly because its the closest Major League park.

A contributor on SoSH and many other places, I simply want to know when Homer Bailey is next scheduled to pitch.

I've been to Indians games before and the 'ole counting back five days thing works at about a 50% rate. Does anybody know for certain what night he'll be throwing in Indy this week? Shouldn't be Wednesday, could be Thursday, could be Friday... really a toss up.

Thanks in advance!

I would say Thursday

Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?

Nah, I'm just playing... I just was hoping for something more concrete.

Thanks though!

I'm 50.02% sure he is pitching Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm 50.02% sure he is pitching Friday.
    That .02% of confidence makes me feel cozy inside. Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?