Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Homer watch

Re: Homer watch

Everytime Bailey threw a curve it was up in the zone.

He could just never get it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

All early scouting reports said his curve with very tight. I hope he wouldn't abandon it, even if he did lose command of it. He can get it back if he keeps throwing it.

Can't believe they scrapped it, because along wtih his fastball that was a potential plus plus pitch.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Everytime Bailey threw a curve it was up in the zone.

He could just never get it down.
    Nope, watch his 2006 curve. Every curve you have seen him throw is from 2007 and that is when his k/9 drop started.

"All early scouting reports said his curve with very tight. I hope he wouldn't abandon it, even if he did lose command of it. He can get it back if he keeps throwing it".

You just don't lose command of it. Something causes you to lose command of it. Either physical or mental.

Well, I can't believe it would be physical, otherwise why would they have him throw a slider, something even more strenuous on the elbow.

Mental? perhaps, not like some haven't questioned whats between his ears at one point or another - claims I don't believe.

Maybe his mechanics changed a bit, I dont know. I never really got to actually SEE him when he was in the lower levels... And I haven't read any analysis that would explain it. And the curve I saw in spring was pretty damn good still, and his change had made major strides IMO.

I just don't understand why they would have him scrap his best potential offspeed pitch. One that showed the ability to be right up there to rival his fastball.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I've got a hunch...

I havent made very many posts on here but I did hear something on the broadcast, MLB tv, about 2 weeks ago regarding Homer and the curveball.

It sounds to me like they wanted him to stop throwing it for a while so that his other pitches would develop and he would stop relying on it as a K pitch. The pitch is still there and quite possibly they will bring it back after they learn he can throw strikes with the slider and change consistently. There may be other reasons as well for putting it on the shelf but it sounded like to me that they didnt actually abandon it forever for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBuck36 View Post
    I havent made very many posts on here but I did hear something on the broadcast, MLB tv, about 2 weeks ago regarding Homer and the curveball.

It sounds to me like they wanted him to stop throwing it for a while so that his other pitches would develop and he would stop relying on it as a K pitch. The pitch is still there and quite possibly they will bring it back after they learn he can throw strikes with the slider and change consistently. There may be other reasons as well for putting it on the shelf but it sounded like to me that they didnt actually abandon it forever for what its worth.
    That would be the best case scenario. I hope thats how it is.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    You just don't lose command of it. Something causes you to lose command of it. Either physical or mental.
    Just purely a hypothetical, suppose the Reds discovered he was tipping his curve and he struggled to command the pitch after making the adjustments.

That would be plausible also.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

That makes the most sense. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    That makes the most sense. Thanks for the info.
    or the most hope. We have seen some signs Homer's changeup has improved, but not enough to be a legit "out pitch". Homer needs the bender to be complete. Without it, he is just a no stuff power arm.

Good post. I know I wanted him to throw fewer curves even during the 2006 season. A kid who can throw hard should NOT be relying on the curve to the extent Bailey was. That pitching pattern won't grow with you.

The Reds very well could be reprogramming Homer at the moment, with the curve to start reappearing as the weather heats up.

It could also be something physical. Don't some kids experience nerve damages in their wrists if they snap off too many curves at young age and then it affects their control of the pitch because they can't "feel" it anymore?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some input on this. I know I've run across talk along those lines, but I'm not 100% sure about the specifics.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Is it time to send Cueto to AAA and bring up Bailey?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Heck no.

Can anyone explain why not? Cueto has gotten lit up recently. Bailey has been pretty dang good in AAA. Cueto hasn't done much since his first couple of starts. I'm beginning to worry it's a mental thing.
    Last edited by AdamDunn; 04-30-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Needed reasoning

After watching Cueto last night, I think all he needs is a couple of sessions with a pitching coach. His mechanics have gotten a little out of sync and his control is suffering. I also add that with a 22 year old rookie, this is perfectly normal. He's not lost it. He's not mental. He's young. And almost any veteran pitcher will be able to point out to him what he is doing wrong.

I'm almost positive after last night, they'll schedule some film time and an extra bullpen session or two in order to get things back in sync.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?