Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another glaring deficiency dooming the Reds to "pretender" status:No RH pop off bench

Another glaring deficiency dooming the Reds to "pretender" status:No RH pop off bench

Our right-handed pinch-hitting options as they currently exist are beyond pathetic.

A good GM would have rectified this issue before the season began.

Instead, we still have dreck like Castro and punch-and-judy hitters like Freel and Hopper (much too similar). Way too many similar bats on this team.

Another glaring deficiency of this ball-club that must be rectified.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another glaring deficiency dooming the Reds to "pretender" status:No RH pop off b

I think we're starting to see that this is only the tip of the iceberg, the whole being a glaringly weak offense overall, particularly in the middle of the lineup. This team will lose 85 games.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Another glaring deficiency dooming the Reds to "pretender" status:No RH pop off b

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Instead, we still have dreck like Castro and punch-and-judy hitters like Freel and Hopper (much too similar).
    Agreed on the redundancy of Freel and Hopper, but from all reports they were trying to trade Freel. Sometimes nobody wants it at the price you're selling it.

As much as I dislike Castro, every team has a backup shortstop and most all of them can't hit very well. If they could they'd be regular shortstops. Of course, all bad isn't equally bad.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Well you didn't need pop in that situation, just a nice little single would have done the trick. however would have liked a better choice than Hopper.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Well you didn't need pop in that situation, just a nice little single would have done the trick. however would have liked a better choice than Hopper.
    Pop = Ability to hit the ball out of the infield

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I wish someone would take Freel off our hands.

He's pretty much worthless with the construction of this team.

Castro? Well, I think it plain stubborness at this point (see: Majewski, Gary).

Forget "pop", the Reds don't have any right handed hitters off the bench.

this is why i wish i knew why they let go of Cantu!!.. he was a very good RH and showed promise after coming from the Rays... grrr i wish we would have kept him Wayne!!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Forget "pop", the Reds don't have any right handed hitters off the bench.
    The team has been seriously RH-deficient since Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena went bye-bye in '06.

They obviously didn't think it was a problem last year -- not sure why anyone expects that to change right now.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    this is why i wish i knew why they let go of Cantu!!.. he was a very good RH and showed promise after coming from the Rays... grrr i wish we would have kept him Wayne!!!
    Except he can't hit lefties (or anyoen for that matter)

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Except he can't hit lefties (or anyoen for that matter)
    Also can't play defense anywhere and is only starting for the Marlins because they have nobody else.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Also can't play defense anywhere and is only starting for the Marlins because they have nobody else.
    Exactly. He's an awful player. He was in AAA last year for good reason. It's because he's not good at anything.

The Reds lack right handed hitting. It's not just the bench. They have one plus righty hitter with power on the entire team. Phillips. Period.

I've never been a fan of lefty based lineups. Right handed hitters usually do better facing both kinds of pitching. Lefty hitters are usually weak against lefty pitching. Just my preference.

But if you have a lefty based offense, it has to have some balance. The Reds have no balance from the right side. It's just Phillips. EE doesn't get extra base hits, he's become a table setter who looks for walks. Keppinger is a superb OBP guy but doesn't have power. Ross didn't hit last year.

The Reds don't have enough right handed hitting. In the lineup or on the bench.

Is Conine available?

EE has nice power, Kc. He's just in a horrible slump right now (along with the rest of the offense, more or less).

You're selling EE short. Historically, he has been excellent at accumulating extra base hits. I remain confident he will snap out of his slump soon.

Turn Off Ads?