Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Stupidity

Modern Stupidity

You have a closer who sits on the bench while an inferior reliver loses a game.
    The opportunities to win games are not that prevalent. The closer should pitch with the score tied. Who knows when you get another opportunity, why pay millions for a closer and watch Weathers lose a game.

Modern day insanity, older closers used to pitch in tie games

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Modern Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    You have a closer who sits on the bench while an inferior reliver loses a game.
    The opportunities to win games are not that prevalent. The closer should pitch with the score tied. Who knows when you get another opportunity, why pay millions for a closer and watch Weathers lose a game.

Modern day insanity, older closers used to pitch in tie games
    Who was going to score for us? Better to save CoCo for tomorrow.

Dusty isn't the problem right now. The sooner everyone realizes this, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post

Dusty isn't the problem right now. The sooner everyone realizes this, the better.
    The offense is the problem right now. They should've killed Suppan today he didn't look good at all.

Dunn's cold, Edwin's cold, Votto is warming up, Hatte is cold. Those are important players in this offense and if they don't heat up soon the Reds are in trouble.
    Most Vottomatic Player

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post

Dusty is not the only problem but he is a problem. I went into the season excited about him. 8 games in and I see why so many people were horrified when we hired him.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

The offense lost this game today. Our pitching was good enough to win but everytime we got someone on base, the next guy couldn't drive him in. Those bats need to wake up and FAST.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

No, it's bad baseball if you use the closer for a tie game. Because then, what happens if Coco goes two innings, we get the lead in the top of the 12th inning, who's closing for us? Uh oh! Modern day insanity, older closers used to close the game out! What a concept! No, you save your closer for when you really need and don't unnecessarily tax your best arm. You need to learn that first before you criticize a Major League manager.
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The decision to use Stormy was not an awful one and I do agree that it was probably best to save FC, at least in the 9th.

Still, Dusty has made a slew of inexplicable decisions this young season - even tonight - and I am officially concerned that he may not have the baseball acumen to lead this team anywhere.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Dusty is not the only problem but he is a problem. I went into the season excited about him. 8 games in and I see why so many people were horrified when we hired him.

I'm really curious. What has Dusty done over the frirst eight games that could possibly justify the statement "I see why so many people were horrified when we hired him"? Get a grip.

Weathers threw 7 pitches to get through the first inning. That's why Dusty let him stay in. So far, the only glaring mistake I've seen Dusty do is put Castro in the two-hole the other night. Another possible mistake are letting Harang throw too many pitches in his second outing. I don't like to see pitchers throwing more than a hundred pitches until their third or fourth outing.

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832 View Post
    No, it's bad baseball if you use the closer for a tie game. Because then, what happens if Coco goes two innings, we get the lead in the top of the 12th inning, who's closing for us? Uh oh! Modern day insanity, older closers used to close the game out! What a concept! No, you save your closer for when you really need and don't unnecessarily tax your best arm. You need to learn that first before you criticize a Major League manager.
    You don't get to that situation 2 innings later if you lose the game now.

exactly, you dont save the closer for circumstances that dont exist. you lost the game, end of discussion

David Weathers is a fine pitcher, who if you haven't noticed, hasn't lost any velocity on his fastball in the past few years. He can still hit 88 mph and can still beat the best of them. Last year, he was our closer and would still be if it weren't for the signing of Cordero. So to criticize a manager who didn't watch the team, but knows how well Weathers pitched last year and has confidence in that player to put him in the tough situation is ludicrous. Weathers breezed through the ninth inning and there was initially no inclination that he would lose it in the next inning. As they say, hindsight is 20/20...I think putting Weathers out there for the tenth was the right move and I stand by Dusty's decision.
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2006: 7-2
    Reds record while I was in attendance in 2007: 2-0
    Reds record while I'm in attendance in 2008: 0-1
    "I wish the stadium was filled up every night." - Bronson Arroyo, Cincinnati Enquirer - February 9, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    exactly, you dont save the closer for circumstances that dont exist. you lost the game, end of discussion
    Second Guessing! End of discussion.

what did you save cordero for, what if in the next few days the scores are not close, then you would have lost a one run game to the first place team without pitching your best reliever. Nice work

I hate how Baker has absolutely no trust in Votto. It's really pathetic.

Turn Off Ads?