Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Offense

Reds Offense

Is just plain terrible.They just cant do the little things or the big things to win games right now.I think it will get better but right now its terrible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Offense

To me the possible silver lining is that if the offense continues to struggle perhaps that will force a couple of issues they seem to just be riding with right now.

The team does not need both Hopper and Freel. One of those spots needs to go to Jolbert Cabrera or Andy Phillips etc. Personally I'd go with Hopper but the problem there is they stand to eat a lot of the $3M in Freel's contract.

Also the team does not need both Votto and Hatteburg. Same thing as above. Flip a coin, take your pick. I guess the better news with this situation is that Votto has an option and could be safely sent down for more seasoning. I thnk this situation will probably come to a head when Ross is ready to come back. Look for one of the lefties to go (Hatte traded or Votto sent down). Ross gets the roster spot and is platooned with Bako behind the plate. Javy becomes almost exclusively a pinch hitter.

I'm convinced Keppinger needs to and will play every day even when Gonzo is back. We probably will see Kepp at 3rd base if Encarnacion has not come around. However they also could put him at 1st. The question is how do the create a roster spot for Gonzo. They will really be tight on middle infielders if they cut Castro; and Dusty has said Brandon Phllips is not going to play any shortstop except in an emergency situation (like 1 night until they could get Janish etc up from the minors).

They basically dodged all the bullets at cut down time due to a couple of timely injuries (Ross and Gonzo) plus they got A. Phillips, Cabrera, and Andy Green all three thru waivers. But they need one of those 3 guys who are down at AAA available as a bench player.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Is just plain terrible.They just cant do the little things or the big things to win games right now.I think it will get better but right now its terrible.
    In a way, EE's home run to win the game against the D'Backs was the ultimate view on the Reds offense for the last decade. EE could not do the fundamental play, which in that case was to put down the sacrifice. Instead, he went for broke. That is why the Reds have been so hot and cold over the last ten years. They are very inconsistent. Freel and Dunn are either amazing or the worst offensive player on the team. EE sometimes looks like Manny and other times like Kurt Stillwell. Ross either hits a bomb or K's. Very few guys on this team are consistent.

For the first time since 1995, I think the Offense might be the concern this season, not the pitching....
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

It may get better, but when Ross comes back the offense may fall off.

Well it may start to get better. with Votto's two hit night, even though not the best hits, it could be enough to get his bat going answering the problem at 1st, when A-gon comes back send EE down or trade him to the Giants, and play kepp at 3b

EE WalkOff homerun might have won the game but it sealed the Reds lack of production for the next 4 games. Now we see why he should have been benched in the first place.
    Give Freel the extra at bats for next couple of starts in EE place. I would move Dunn down in the order. Maybe Votto and him can switch. Patterson is doing a pretty good job at playing center and hitting homeruns. He still isn't seeing many pitches or stealing many bases, what a true lead off hitter needs to do. So I say move Patterson down where more people might be on base and let Freel lead off.
    By the way, I'm not a Freel fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    EE WalkOff homerun might have won the game but it sealed the Reds lack of production for the next 4 games. Now we see why he should have been benched in the first place.
    Give Freel the extra at bats for next couple of starts in EE place. I would move Dunn down in the order. Maybe Votto and him can switch. Patterson is doing a pretty good job at playing center and hitting homeruns. He still isn't seeing many pitches or stealing many bases, what a true lead off hitter needs to do. So I say move Patterson down where more people might be on base and let Freel lead off.
    By the way, I'm not a Freel fan.
    Good idea. Give him even fewer good pitches to see.

They've shown instances of playing "little ball" in the first 9 games. Still, some of the guys need to learn to bunt, that's for sure. Once Dunn and EE get out of their slumps things will be much better. They're not going to hit .130 for the season.

Baker hasn't found the right lineup to mix yet. Patterson doesn't need to be our lead off guy. Let Dusty figure out the right formula and this is going to be a dangerous team.

Ecspecially if the young pitching continues to rise.

By the way how do you upload an avatar? Just joined, can't find it in the User CP.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Good idea. Give him even fewer good pitches to see.
    Dunn's career batting average is better in the 2nd spot and the 7th spot in the order. His worst spots are 1st, 3rd and 5th. All I'm saying is Dunn will be Dunn when he is motivated. What better way to motivate him by dropping him in the 6th or 7th spot.
    You can look at it as Dunn seeing fewer pitches, but it's countered by Votto/Hatty seeing more good pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Dunn's career batting average is better in the 2nd spot and the 7th spot in the order. His worst spots are 1st, 3rd and 5th. All I'm saying is Dunn will be Dunn when he is motivated. What better way to motivate him by dropping him in the 6th or 7th spot.
    You can look at it as Dunn seeing fewer pitches, but it's countered by Votto/Hatty seeing more good pitches.
    Dunn has 52 career at-bats in the 7th spot which is only 1.5% of his total at-bats. Not a real strong argument to move him down in the order.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Dunn has 52 career at-bats in the 7th spot which is only 1.5% of his total at-bats. Not a real strong argument to move him down in the order.
    Question, off topic, where do you find these stats? Are you just doing a ton of research or is there a site somewhere? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reds42MLB View Post

By the way how do you upload an avatar? Just joined, can't find it in the User CP.
    I believe you can only upload an avatar once you become a member of ORG. As for the Reds offense, I imagine they will show some improvement when the weather warms up.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    Question, off topic, where do you find these stats? Are you just doing a ton of research or is there a site somewhere? Thanks
    I get them on yahoo. They have player stats broken down really well.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, the heavy tilt towards the lefties is bothersome. As is the redundancy of platoon slap-hitters in Castro, Hopper and Freel. And as is the carrying of 3 catchers. I'd prefer to see Norris get some regular playing time...and that means in Louisville. Castro should've been released or traded a LONG time ago. And we simply HAVE to find a taker for Freel. So, if all that gets done, who do we bring up to fill the bench roles? Well, if we dump both Norris & Freel then we'd need a backup for the OF and if we can get some righthanded pop as well as some decent defense that's just a bonus. I'd lean rather heavily towards Jerry Gil. Also, if we dump both Castro and Freel we'd need some bench support for the infield. Again, a right-handed bat would be nice there as well. And in Louisville, we've got multiple options. Jolbert Cabrera, Andy Green and Andy Phillips all looked good in S.T. As did Hairston. I really like Janish's & Rosales' "d" but I'd lean towards one or two of the Cabrera, Green & Phillips trio.

Hatteberg & Votto are too similar to carry both when your bench is as thin as ours is right now. Hatteberg is a good player but he has very little upside. His good S.T. looks to be a long time ago. Votto seems to be hitting his stride finally after a long slump in S.T. So for now, I'd like to see Votto getting the majority of the playing time with Keppinger getting a few starts on his days off. Simply put, young players like Votto need to have regular routines in order to get into a groove. That means starting nearly every game regardless of who's pitching or righty/lefty arms.

Bringing up Bruce is tempting as well. But if he were brought up, he'd be relegated to the bench right now, and he simply MUST have regular playing time...so for now, I'd leave him in Louisville.

So to sum up...

Castro & Freel ---> Shown the door (via trade or release)
    Hopper ----> Sent to Louisville for regular P.T.
    Hatteberg ----> Shop him on the trade front.
    Ross/Valentine/Bako -----> Make a decision one way or the other...2 only.

Jerry Gil ----> Righty OF sub off bench
    Andy Green ----> Righty IF sub off bench
    Jolbert Cabrera ----> Righty IF sub off bench
    Andy Phillips -----> Righty IF sub off bench

Obviously all that isn't going to happen, but some of it should...and soon. I hate wasting excellent pitching. It's been a long time since we've seen any (in a Reds uni anyway)...so let's put it to good use.

Turn Off Ads?