Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top 25 Prospects- April Edition

Reds Top 25 Prospects- April Edition

Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd put out an April edition of my Reds current Top 25 prospects. To qualify, you must be currently in the minors and rookie eligible. Juan Duran will be excluded until he actually plays a minor league game. I broke them into four categories- A prospects, B prospects, C prospects, and "Ones to watch."

1. Jay Bruce OF 21 AAA
    2. Homer Bailey RHP 22 AAA
    3. Todd Frazier SS/3B 22 A

4. Matt Maloney LHP 24 AAA
    5. Josh Roenicke RHP 25 AA
    6. Drew Stubbs CF 23 A+
    7. Brandon Waring 3B 22 A
    8. Daryl Thompson RHP 22 AA
    9. Travis Wood LHP 21 A+
    10. Kyle Lotzkar RHP 18 R

11. Adam Rosales 1B/3B 25 AAA
    12. Devin Mesoraco C 20 R
    13. Daniel Dorn OF 23 AA
    14. Carlos Fisher RHP 25 AA
    15. Juan Francisco 3B/OF 21 A+
    16. Tyler Pelland LHP 23 AA
    17. Chris Valaika 2B 22 A+

18. Sean Watson RHP 22 A+
    19. Neftali Soto SS/OF 18 R
    20. Sam LeCure RHP 23 AA
    21. Pedro Viola LHP 24 AA
    22. Daniel Herrera LHP 23 AA
    23. Justin Turner 2B 23 A+
    24. Craig Tatum C 24 AA
    25. Jose Castro SS 21 AA
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-09-2008 at 12:25 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Top 25 Prospects- April Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Just for the heck of it, I thought I'd put out an April edition of my Reds current Top 25 prospects. To qualify, you must be currently in the minors and rookie eligible. Juan Duran will be excluded until he actually plays a minor league game. I broke them into four categories- A prospects, B prospects, C prospects, and "Ones to watch."

1. Homer Bailey RHP 22 AAA
    2. Todd Frazier SS/3B 22 A

3. Matt Maloney LHP 24 AAA
    4. Josh Roenicke RHP 25 AA
    5. Drew Stubbs CF 23 A+
    6. Brandon Waring 3B 22 A
    7. Daryl Thompson RHP 22 AA
    8. Travis Wood LHP 21 A+
    9. Kyle Lotzkar RHP 18 R

10. Adam Rosales 1B/3B 25 AAA
    11. Devin Mesoraco C 20 R
    12. Daniel Dorn OF 23 AA
    13. Carlos Fisher RHP 25 AA
    14. Juan Francisco 3B/OF 21 A+
    15. Tyler Pelland LHP 23 AA
    16. Chris Valaika 2B 22 A+

17. Sean Watson RHP 22 A+
    18. Neftali Soto SS/OF 18 R
    19. Sam LeCure RHP 23 AA
    20. Pedro Viola LHP 24 AA
    21. Daniel Herrera LHP 23 AA
    22. Justin Turner 2B 23 A+
    23. Craig Tatum C 24 AA
    24. Jose Castro SS 21 AA
    25. Alexander Smit LHP 21 A+
    My thoughts....Soto is much higher. This kid can absolutely hit. Smit doesn't make my top 30.

Juan Francisco is a top 10 kid. I know he doesn't have much patience, but he mashes everything with in reach of his bat. He has 6 doubles in his last 6 games. They weren't bloopers either. He just crushes liners everywhere. He's exciting to watch. I'm holding out hope that once pitchers learn about his lack of patience, he makes adjustments. But right now, he is a LH version of Vlad.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 04-09-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Ummmmm...

26. Jay Bruce?
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

No Jay Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Ummmmm...

26. Jay Bruce?
    ha, good point. I left him off intentionally- I guess I should have noted that. I made the initial list in ST when everyone was assuming he would be with the big club, and I never put him back on the list after camp broke. I guess I don't really think of him as a minor leaguer anymore- silly me!

Note: I edited the list to include Bruce.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-09-2008 at 12:25 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kmad View Post
    No Jay Bruce?
    Haha good call. I didn't even notice he wasn't on there either. I read it and was like 'not a bad list'.... looks like we all had some brain farts.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Drew Stubbs was BA's 100 best propsect going into the season, and is off to a good start.

He gets more love elsewhere than here.

He's a A level propsect.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Drew Stubbs was BA's 100 best propsect going into the season, and is off to a good start.

He's a A level propsect.
    Not for me he's not. I view "A" level prospects as Top 50 guys in all of baseball. Because of his age and past performance, Drew Stubbs has to at least make it to Chattanooga before he could be considered as such IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like his good start as well as his strong finish last year, but he has to keep it up for at least another month or two before I'd reconsider.
    Go BLUE!!!

7. Brandon Waring 3B 22 A
    8. Daryl Thompson RHP 22 AA
    9. Travis Wood LHP 21 A+
    10. Kyle Lotzkar RHP 18 R

11. Adam Rosales 1B/3B 25 AAA
    12. Devin Mesoraco C 20 R
    13. Daniel Dorn OF 23 AA
    14. Carlos Fisher RHP 25 AA
    15. Juan Francisco 3B/OF 21 A+

2 things no one has mentioned so far...

What's the difference between Waring and Francisco that creates 7 spots between them? They play the same position, Francisco is a year younger, and a level ahead. They have similar power potential and similiar K/BB problems. In my view, they should be grouped right next to eachother, if you don't want to give Francisco a slight advantage, given that judging by the numbers, its a crap shoot to choose one to be a better major leaguer than the other.

And I know you have Rosales as the "top" C prospect, but I think you have to make the break between 11 and 12 as opposed to 10 and 11. Rosales' floor at this point is probably a utility guy in the majors (think 25th man), his ceiling is a solid regular for several years, and his Most Likely To is the first bat off the bench/platoon guy.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Not for me he's not. I view "A" level prospects as Top 50 guys in all of baseball. Because of his age and past performance, Drew Stubbs has to at least make it to Chattanooga before he could be considered as such IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like his good start as well as his strong finish last year, but he has to keep it up for at least another month or two before I'd reconsider.
    IF "A" means top 50 in baseball, I doubt that Frazier would be anywhere close to that. He wasn't top 100 last year, and a quick start wouldn't elevate him anywhere close to Top 50.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

He's a A level propsect.
    It's an improvement. Benihana and I have had this conversation a dozen times. At least the likes of Justin Turner and Chris Valaika are finally behind him now.

I don't even consider Bailey a prospect. Jay Bruce,Thompson,Wood and Frazier. Then the next group with Francisco,Waring and Lotzker(due to what we have seen so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    It's an improvement. Benihana and I have had this conversation a dozen times. At least the likes of Justin Turner and Chris Valaika are finally behind him now.
    The difference is that Valaika and Turner continue to produce on the field. You can keep hoping that maybe one day he will have a descent year. This year could be it, we will have to wait and see.

Old Red Guard Reject

If Thompson continues to pitch well at AA, he may be moving up.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

I've always been a Cody Strait fan. I was curious when he was drafted and how much he signed for?

Turn Off Ads?