Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Learning Spanish?

Tips for Learning Spanish?

I've recently decided to teach myself Spanish. I have an interest in languages and also figure it might help with my career. I already speak German, but figured I would take on a language people actually speak in the United States. Are there any Spanish speakers with tips I might use? I'm trying to avoid paying money for a program, so I'm currently going through the Spanish Steps online program available through the BBC's website and occasionally listening to Solamente Pelota and XM Deportivo on my XM Radio. With listening, I'm starting to pick up some of the words by sound, do the degree where I can pick of the general gist of conversations from time to time (if I have an idea of the subject ahead of time). I realize the best way is to take a trip to a region or country that speaks the language.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tips for Learning Spanish?

I can speak a little. The only advice I can give (if you're not spending money) is whatever you do find, practice every day. You can learn it fast, but forget even faster so it seems.

I hear watching Spanish TV really helps.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Move to Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Move to Texas.
    South Florida may be a good idea also.

I speak a little Spanish. I read and understand more. I find that I can pick up a lot by reading Spanish language newspapers or web sites. Again, knowing the topic helps.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Move to Texas.
    Living in Texas hasn't helped my Spanish any more than moving closer to Canada helped my French.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Living in Texas hasn't helped my Spanish any more than moving closer to Canada helped my French.
    I've been in Texas for a week now and I'm starting to feel like a native. Any more time and I'll start remembering all the Spanish I forgot since college.

Move to Texas.
    The only problem with that is that you have to MOVE TO TEXAS.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The only problem with that is that you have to MOVE TO TEXAS.
    Good point. It would seem that I'm leaving Texas now. I have to deliver in Arkansas tomorrow. Redneck central.

Many community colleges offer classes for the public to take like how to speak Spanish, fix cars, and learn to play guitar. These skills will come in handy if you ever decide to become a mechanic in Tijuana who plays in a Mariachi band on the weekends.

I would try a program called Coffee Break Spanish. They give you little chunks of the language, in a 15 minute podcast.

Coffee Break Spanish

"I know a little German" he's standing over there
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

The only Spanish I know would get me fired from work.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Sometimes you can find spanish speaking tutors in the classified.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Once you learn some basics, go to a Spanish speaking country and drink a lot. You'll improve by leaps and bounds.

The domestic alternative is to go to a Spanish speaking bar and try to pick up women.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?