Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Adam Dunn is #208 on the all-time HR list.

Adam Dunn is #208 on the all-time HR list.

With his 239th career home run Adam Dunn ties Ken Caminiti and Dolph Camilli at #208 on the career home run leader list.

Caminiti was the 1996 NL MVP and a three-time All Star third baseman. He battled alcohol and cocaine abuse for many years and died in 2004. He also admitted to using steroids heavily during his career. He played for the Astros, Padres, Rangers and Braves.

Camilli won the 1941 NL MVP and was a two-time All Star 1st baseman. He played with the Cubs, Phillies, Dodgers and briefly for the Red Sox. He was actually a similar player to Adam Dunn in that he was a home run hitter that walked often and struck out often. Camilli's son Doug was a major league catcher in the 60's, and his brother Frankie was a pro boxer who was killed during a fight against Max Baer.

With today's blast, Adam Dunn moved out of a tie for 210th place with Earl Averill and Ray Lankford. Next up on the list are Roberto Clemente and Jeff Burroughs with 240 career homers. Coming up soon is Reds Manager Dusty Baker at 242 HRs.

There are 83 active players on the list of the top 500 career home run hitters of all time. Dunn is currently 40th among active players. Dunn is the 5th-youngest of the 83 active players on the list. There are 39 active players ahead of Dunn on the career homer list. Only one of them is younger than Dunn. Albert Pujols is just 2 months younger and has 282 homers for 133rd place.

Among players that are younger than Adam Dunn, Mark Teixeira is 5 months younger and has 172 homers for 343rd place. Next is Miguel Cabrera (turns 25 next week) with 139 homers for 448th place. Ryan Howard is 2 days younger than Adam Dunn and has only 130 career homers for 492nd place. No other players younger than Dunn have cracked the top 500 home run hitters list.

Ken Griffey Jr. leads all active players with 594 homers for 6th place.

With all the attention Griffey receives (and deservedly so, obviously) it overshadows the accomplishments of the Reds own homegrown slugger. Dunn is on a pace to reach some hallowed ground among the all-time greatest sluggers in baseball history. Like Griffey (and unlike Bonds and Sosa etc.), Dunn has achieved his stats without the slightest suspicion of performance enhancing drugs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Dunn is #208 on the all-time HR list.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Dunn is on a pace to reach some hallowed ground among the all-time greatest sluggers in baseball history.
    Yep.

Dunn is well on his way to a Harmon Killebrew type of career.

Please get this man a five year deal, Bob C.!!!

I really believe Bob C. will overrule Krivsky and get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Please get this man a five year deal, Bob C.!!!

I really believe Bob C. will overrule Krivsky and get it done.
    Once again, I must assume you're sitting in on staff meetings for the Reds and know that Wayne is the sticky wicket on a LTC with Dunn - that Bob will overrule Wayne's firm resistance to keeping Dunn in Cincy for a good, long time. Of course, that has to be it.

That said, fascinating info about who Dunn has matched and who's down the line. Some of the other players that are in that top 500 presently - I had no idea Teixeira had that many home runs already.

I think that Krivsky will get a LTC taken care of this season. It would be a shame to not lock Dunn up - and I'll take a Harmon Killebrew career - that's into the HOF. I hope he has that success.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Yep.

Dunn is well on his way to a Harmon Killebrew type of career.
    At least it wasn't a Dave Kingman comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    At least it wasn't a Dave Kingman comparison...
    Dunn is a cross between Kingman & Killebrew.

All three of 'em hit for power & a low batting average, and while Dunn shares Killebrew's penchant for drawing walks, he also shares Kingman's penchant for massive strikeout totals and horrid defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Dunn is a cross between Kingman & Killebrew.

All three of 'em hit for power & a low batting average, and while Dunn shares Killebrew's penchant for drawing walks, he also shares Kingman's penchant for massive strikeout totals and horrid defense.
    However Kingman ended up that way, he was a tad better when he was younger, he fell into that player (not the K's so much) James a nice piece on Kingman in one of the Abstracts and how if he applied himself he could be a different player.

Dunn seems to be falling out of the pattern of being compared to Kingman.. mainly because he works harder than Dave did. In 1977 Kingman was traded 3 times... played for 4 teams that year, the guy that played in Chicago from 78-80 was different man than the guy before and after... was it his age? The Park? Or was he tired of being thought of as a dog?

All I know his .613 slg% in 1979 was 6th best that decade

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    However Kingman ended up that way, he was a tad better when he was younger, he fell into that player (not the K's so much) James a nice piece on Kingman in one of the Abstracts and how if he applied himself he could be a different player.

Dunn seems to be falling out of the pattern of being compared to Kingman.. mainly because he works harder than Dave did. In 1977 Kingman was traded 3 times... played for 4 teams that year, the guy that played in Chicago from 78-80 was different man than the guy before and after... was it his age? The Park? Or was he tired of being thought of as a dog?

All I know his .613 slg% in 1979 was 6th best that decade
    IIRC Kingman seemed to always spend a lot of time on the DL every season. I always wondered what he could have done if he had been injury free and spent the bulk of his career playing in Wrigley Field?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Dunn is exactly 150 homeruns shy of Johnny Bench on the Reds all-time homerun record - Bench hit 389, Dunn has 239. Dunn is currently five behind George Foster (244) for 5th place and 12 behind Ted Kluszewski (251) for 4th place. Tony Perez is 3rd at 287 but I don't see Dunn getting there this year. Assuming the Reds lockup Dunn, he'll most likely move into second place on the Reds all-time homerun record sometime late next season. He's getting in to some great company. Too bad a lot of folks still underrate him.

No one who actually saw Kingman play would compare Dunn and Kingman defensively. Dunn is a gold glove compared to Dave. The Killebrew comparison is a fair one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Once again, I must assume you're sitting in on staff meetings for the Reds and know that Wayne is the sticky wicket on a LTC with Dunn - that Bob will overrule Wayne's firm resistance to keeping Dunn in Cincy for a good, long time. Of course, that has to be it.

That said, fascinating info about who Dunn has matched and who's down the line. Some of the other players that are in that top 500 presently - I had no idea Teixeira had that many home runs already.

I think that Krivsky will get a LTC taken care of this season. It would be a shame to not lock Dunn up - and I'll take a Harmon Killebrew career - that's into the HOF. I hope he has that success.
    It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to see what Krivsky values in a ballclub.

Also, he was interviewed and said there had been no talks with Dunn about a LTC.

Thank God Bob. C. loves Dunn.

Also, he was interviewed and said there had been no talks with Dunn about a LTC.

Who signed him after he first became GM 2 years ago?

If Bob loved him so much why didn't O'Brien do it before he was canned?

I'm sure if Bob loved him so much then it would have been the first thing done.. instead it took Krivsky to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Who signed him after he first became GM 2 years ago?

If Bob loved him so much why didn't O'Brien do it before he was canned?

I'm sure if Bob loved him so much then it would have been the first thing done.. instead it took Krivsky to do it.
    I'm just going off what the man has said. He has said multiple times that keeping Dunn is important to him and important to this ballclub.

I think you're reading way too much into what few comments WK has made. Neither side seems overly concerned, from what I've seen, about contract talks not be underway. One of Krivsky's first acts was to enter into this initial multi-year contract, including the very reasonable salary this year. It's a week into the season. I think they'll get it done.

And, in my opinion, I disagree that Krivsky doesn't value Dunn.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?