Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carmona signs 7 year deal

Carmona signs 7 year deal

Fausto Carmona and the Indians have reportedly agreed to a 7 year contract.

Wow.

One year gets him 7?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Re: Carmona signs 7 year deal

How much did they give him?
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

CLEVELAND (AP)—Fausto Carmona, a surprising 19-game winner last season, agreed to terms of a $15 million, four-year contract with the Cleveland Indians on Thursday.

A person familiar with the negotiations says Carmona’s deal will be announced later in the day. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the contract has not been finalized.

The deal runs through 2011 and includes club options from 2012-2014.

The 24-year-old Carmona went 19-7 with a 3.06 ERA and emerged as one of the AL’s top starters in 2007, one season after he went 1-10.

His signing gives the Indians protection in case they are unable to re-sign C.C. Sabathia, the defending Cy Young Award winner, who is eligible for free agency following this season.

The Indians announced a 3 p.m. press conference at Progressive Field with “exciting news about a member of the Indians pitching staff (NOT C.C. Sabathia).”

Sabathia rejected a preliminary offer from the Indians, and during spring training he suspended negotiations with the Indians until after the season. There’s no guarantee he’ll be back, and if he’s not, Carmona will ascend into the No. 1 role.

Carmona joins a core group of young players—along with Grady Sizemore, Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez—who have signed long-term deals with the Indians.

The right-hander, whose signature sinker is as good as any in the majors, pitched 215 innings last season. He and Sabathia were the first Cleveland teammates to win at least 19 games since Bob Lemon, Herb Score and Early Wynn did it in 1956.

Carmona, who finished second in the AL in ERA, began the ‘07 season with a loss to Chicago, extending his losing streak to 11 straight games. He finally snapped it by beating Minnesota’s Johan Santana, but was optioned to the minor leagues when Cliff Lee came off the disabled list.

But before he reported to Triple-A Buffalo, Carmona was back when right-hander Jake Westbrook went down with an injury. He pitched his first complete game shutout in May, again beating Santana, a two-time Cy Young winner.

Carmona eventually won seven straight decisions, and then went 9-4 with a major league best 2.26 ERA in the second half.

The Dominican Republic native made a memorable debut in the postseason. Matched up with Andy Pettitte, he allowed the New York Yankees just three hits and no earned runs in nine innings, pitching the final two as tiny insects swarmed the infield at then-Jacobs Field.

Carmona’s amazing ride finally ended in the ALCS, when he was roughed up in two starts by the Boston Red Sox, who rallied from a 3-1 deficit to win the series.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

That's not bad. Nice touch with the built-in club options. Pretty creative.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I was going to say, there was no way the Indians were going to give a seven-year deal to a pitcher with no escape clauses.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Tampa Bay pioneered this concept with James Shields and I think it is brilliant. It is certainly worth the risk with Carmona to only guarantee 3 years of $15 million...

Could we be looking at a similar deal given to Cueto, Volquez, and or Bruce? I think a lot of teams and players would jump at this kind of deal.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Tampa Bay pioneered this concept with James Shields and I think it is brilliant. It is certainly worth the risk with Carmona to only guarantee 3 years of $15 million...

Could we be looking at a similar deal given to Cueto, Volquez, and or Bruce? I think a lot of teams and players would jump at this kind of deal.
    They owe me royalties.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=15
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Very shrewd contract by the Tribe.

Worst case, they are out $15 Million over 4 years.

Best case, they have a young phenom locked up at a bargain basement price for 7 years.

Good for the player and the team. Carmona is set for life. The Indians potentially have a huge bargain as well.
    Take notes Wayne.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Take notes Wayne.
    I think the last thing Wayne needs to take notes on is contract negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I think the last thing Wayne needs to take notes on is contract negotiations.
    Exactly.

Wayne locked up Arroyo, Harang, and Phillips to below market contracts. If somebody is taking notes on contract negotiations, they need to take them from Wayne.

Its what was supposedly his strong suit in Minny... I've been impressed with his contract skills so far.

Lots of folks rail on him for the Stanton/Castro/Cormier (and to a lesser extent Freel) contracts.. but raelly they are/were very marginal, especially since Cast has shown a willingness to eat contracts and move on if necessary(see Stanton/Cormier/Jerry Narron).

I hear posters bemoan that the Reds or small market teams cannot afford to hand out these types of contracts, but I'm really not worried about money being an issue anymore. The Reds have upped payroll. Shelled out record market dollars for a closer. Locked up key components to our roster(withstanding Dunn, but I have my fingers crossed) without hesitation. I really believe our days as a cheapskate club are behind us. We may not ever break the bank, but I dont think we're playing the "small market" card anymore, and I don't think money is something to quibble about anymore on whats "wasted" around here.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Approach highly-talented players early in their careers (when their base salaries are still written in 6 figures instead of 7 or 8) with fair-money deals? The novelty!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Exactly.

Wayne locked up Arroyo, Harang, and Phillips to below market contracts. If somebody is taking notes on contract negotiations, they need to take them from Wayne.
    He gives them out to the wrong people too.. that's what Wayne needs to learn.
    When you give extensions to everyone, you are bound to get a few right

I liked the Arroyo signing, but time will tell if it is really below market. I could see that one going either way. I think it was worth the risk, but I can see the point of people that didn't like it.

Likewise Phillips is a risk,but a good one.

Harang was a no brainer. Only a total moron wouldn't have attempted that (like Dunn). Now, granted, there are some moron owners and GMs.

In the grand scheme, I think Wayne's generousity has heard the club more than it has helped them. Bad contracts like Gonzo, Stanton, Freel, Cormeir extension etc have cost the club more money than he's "saved".. IMO, he didn't really sign those 4 good contracts at below market prices.. They were around market price.. which is fine with me. But, other than Phillips.. they were all established players with a clear market value. Actually Phillips was already arb eligible, so the opportunity to make a potentially below market value deal was kind of gone..

Now if Ceuto warrants a deal like Carmona after this season and Wayne gets it done, then I will be impressed.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?